• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where should you live NYTimes quiz

kendo

A HNYs to all.
Im fairly bored this morning, nursing a slight headache and with little fight in me to get kids out in the rain and into programs so thought Id kick up a little conversation here as this thread is about places to live based upon interests/needs.

Many of you are knowledgeable about historic weather patterns and areas out West I've not likely been that one should consider moving to in order to enjoy this sport for decades to come. (sorry if there's a thread on this already, point me there and I'll shutup)

For point of my question, Id ask that we just assume our US winter weather snowfall will continue to deterioriate. (for whatever reasons, not looking for a debate)

What geographic locations, say within a 1 hour drive of a major Western ski are, would folks suggest as being a target for my next ski home?
Whats a super cool town I may have yet been to, that will fair better in the next 20-50 years as far as snowfall?
thanks in advance.

Looks like Colorado resorts have potential to be less impacted by long term global warming... granted it's only one perspective.

If that's the case, maybe Gunnison with Crested Butte & Monarch nearby. Ouray for access to Telluride & Silverton.

ctdubl07

Thanks for referring articles. We are headed to CB for Feb break to check that area out.
Yes, for sure we could draft a list of lifestyle wants but at this point, just simplistically trying to determine which areas will be less likely to suffer the significant warming trends that are here/part of our future.
Beach/warm weather home is all squared away so this is simply a question of a snow home.
I'll be 65 in 15 yrs and dont want to be riding VT ice if I can help it!!

jimk

Here are my impressions of CB from a visit the year before covid. Very nice:

FYI, for the last few years I have been spending the winters in the Salt Lake City suburbs and skiing a number of areas, especially Snowbird. I am retired and one thing I really like about Snowbird is the late spring skiing in April and May. Mid-winter is great with numerous powder days, but the late spring is generally very uncrowded and great for old timers to get out and soak up the sun and down a few apres-ski beers. It's like a bonus 6-8 weeks longer ski season than all the other ski areas in the region. This could be something to also consider for similar prime spring ski locations such as Summit County, CO and Mt Bachelor/Bend.

ctdubl07

Great read Jim - thanks! Im thinking we'll look to hire a guide early in our trip to really understand the mtn and make sure we dont find ourselves in spots we shouldnt be but dont miss out on ones either.