• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where should you live NYTimes quiz

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was writing about, "in the last few years", not the standard 10 year data. If you just look at Census data from 10 years to 10 years basically everyone gains population except a few states because the country is growing in general, especially via foreigners immigrating. Here's a little blip I just found on bankrate showing the movement.

I won't deny that a lot of places in the Northeast are bleeding population towards the south, but Mass is for sure still growing. No way there are fewer people living there today than 2018. It's not to be confused with Idaho or Utah, but it's not losing population. Far too much opportunity in metro Boston. The high cost of living isn't scaring people away.

x10003q

I was writing about, "in the last few years", not the standard 10 year data. If you just look at Census data from 10 years to 10 years basically everyone gains population except a few states because the country is growing in general, especially via foreigners immigrating. Here's a little blip I just found on bankrate showing the movement.

There are also other demographic factors - we are in the fat baby boomer retirement years. For decades, retiring Northeast residents have moved for warmer weather and cheaper COL. The 125k number for NY is pretty high, but the covid factor has to be considered. Rentals in NYC are drifting back to pre-pandemic pricing.

abc

There are also other demographic factors - we are in the fat baby boomer retirement years. For decades, retiring Northeast residents have moved for warmer weather and cheaper COL. The 125k number for NY is pretty high, but the covid factor has to be considered. Rentals in NYC are drifting back to pre-pandemic pricing.
Retirees had been moving to the south since the south was made livable with air conditioning!

You're quite right. With baby boomers retiring (some believe many made that decision during the pandemic), I have no doubt the trend to continue.

Quietly, without fanfare, a small fraction of the well-heeled retirees are moving into NYC. This has been happening for quite a while too. NYC has relatively high hospital/population for a reason. They are paying for all those excess number of doctors and their staffs (hint, they're not relying on Medicare)

Funky_Catskills

Probably opened NYT on the phone at one point and didn’t clear your cookies/cache, they are like nazis when it comes to people skirting their paywall.
So if you skirt their paywall you get sent to a concentration camp or shot dead in the street?
People are getting fast and loose with the Nazi thing. Let's not forget what they actually did to many peoples families. And how many of our parents and grand parents fought to eradicate them.

da-bum

Not so much............just don't trust the MSM anymore, to many news reporters starting their sentences with "I THINK" bring back people like Walter Cronkite, don't need opinions just news. The BBC seams to be a good source for me.
Jumping into this discussion late. Its not that the NYT put their opinions as news, but they way they frame the discussion, and they act as stenographers to the govt. All you read is govt official says this, govt official says that, unnamed govt official says something, usually to prop up their agenda. Whenever the country has decided to invade another country, the only articles, and even opinion pieces are how will the invasion take place, what weapons will be used, why the invasion is justified, how will we succeed.

I was a lifelong NYT paper subscriber, reading it on the daily commute, until the manufactured consent by the govt in cahoot with the paper for the invasion of Iraq in 2003 (even the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan). I defected to the Guardian (not BBC, which was also drumming the war machine). But now, the Guardian has also become another Downing St mouthpiece. Luckily, many established journalist that use to work in reputable news sites, but resigned due to editorial dispute, are still publishing.

You should also be able to paste the whole URL in google search under anonymous mode and it should take you there, since these news sites has deals with google to bring in eyes to their news site.

Anyway, whenever I select Clean air, it pretty much take me to small towns. I guess I am stuck breathing the dirty air of the bit cities.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

Never thought about moving to vt,always wanted Utah. Still do...I guess the weather up here lately is reinforcing this.

Geoff

Never thought about moving to vt,always wanted Utah. Still do...I guess the weather up here lately is reinforcing this.
My mom wintered in Park City for a bunch of years. I don’t think I could do Utah full time. I’m too much of a salt water person. Now that I’m retired, I’m done with New England skiing other than start of season conditioning days and some cherry picked spring days. My stepdaughter has lived in Vail for 15 years so Colorado made more sense than Utah to change mountains.

Smellytele

My mom wintered in Park City for a bunch of years. I don’t think I could do Utah full time. I’m too much of a salt water person. Now that I’m retired, I’m done with New England skiing other than start of season conditioning days and some cherry picked spring days. My stepdaughter has lived in Vail for 15 years so Colorado made more sense than Utah to change mountains.
I have one son who wants to stay in CO after college and another who is making plans to move out their with his fiancé so I may head that way some day as well.

Kingslug20

Utah has more meaning to me than jackson.
Utah is still my favorite place on earth...JH is top 3 mountains for sure
Jh,Alta,Bird

Last edited:

jimk

My mom wintered in Park City for a bunch of years. I don’t think I could do Utah full time. I’m too much of a salt water person.
That's why God invented the Great Salt Lake.
great salt lake jim.jpg

Vail's a pretty nice spot to couch surf!
prima cornice vail.jpeg

Kingslug20

My wife's job is in armonk..family in ny...so...vt was the best option

ctdubl07

A HNYs to all.
Im fairly bored this morning, nursing a slight headache and with little fight in me to get kids out in the rain and into programs so thought Id kick up a little conversation here as this thread is about places to live based upon interests/needs.

Many of you are knowledgeable about historic weather patterns and areas out West I've not likely been that one should consider moving to in order to enjoy this sport for decades to come. (sorry if there's a thread on this already, point me there and I'll shutup)

For point of my question, Id ask that we just assume our US winter weather snowfall will continue to deterioriate. (for whatever reasons, not looking for a debate)

What geographic locations, say within a 1 hour drive of a major Western ski are, would folks suggest as being a target for my next ski home?
Whats a super cool town I may have yet been to, that will fair better in the next 20-50 years as far as snowfall?
thanks in advance.

jimk

A HNYs to all.
Im fairly bored this morning, nursing a slight headache and with little fight in me to get kids out in the rain and into programs so thought Id kick up a little conversation here as this thread is about places to live based upon interests/needs.

Many of you are knowledgeable about historic weather patterns and areas out West I've not likely been that one should consider moving to in order to enjoy this sport for decades to come. (sorry if there's a thread on this already, point me there and I'll shutup)

For point of my question, Id ask that we just assume our US winter weather snowfall will continue to deterioriate. (for whatever reasons, not looking for a debate)

What geographic locations, say within a 1 hour drive of a major Western ski are, would folks suggest as being a target for my next ski home?
Whats a super cool town I may have yet been to, that will fair better in the next 20-50 years as far as snowfall?
thanks in advance.
I guess my first take on your question is:

1. Can we just recommend a list of the current places that average the most seasonal snowfall with the expectation that in relative terms they will continue to receive the most snow in the future? See here for an example: https://snowbrains.com/top-10-snowfall-averages-in-north-america/

2. OR is there some science that suggests that some areas of USA will get snowier in the future while most get less snowy?

I really can't comment on #2, but you can google for #1 and get the usual list of suspects in the Rockies, Tahoe, PNW and AK. Tahoe may get a lot of snow, but it comes in feast or famine modes, the PNW gets a lot of heavy water content snow. AK is AK and a long way from the rest of the country. Some of the snowier ski areas in the Rockies (including CO, UT, WY, MT) get a more consistent and higher quality snowpack with good preservation due to high elevations. I could suggest you look at towns near Grand Targhee ski area, towns near the ski areas in Big and Little Cottonwood canyons in Utah, but then you really need to look at more than just snowfall for what kind of quality of life you want on and off the slopes. It gets complicated, but regardless skiing is still fun anywhere the slopes are open.;)