• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which new 2023 chairlift will be first to open ?

Which new 2023 chairlift will be first to open ?

• Belleayre - Doppelmayr 4-CLF "Lift 7"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gore - Skytrac 4-CLF “Bear Cub”

• Whiteface - Doppelmayr 4-CLD "The Notch"

• Magic - Poma Alpha Quad "Black Line" (refurbished lift from Stratton)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Berkshire East - Leitner-Poma 4-CLD "Summit"

• Middlebury Snowbowl - Skytrac 4-CLF “Sheehan”

• Loon - Doppelmayr 4-CLF “Timber Town”

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Attitash - Leitner-Poma 4-CLD "The Mountaineer"

• Sunday River - Doppelmayr 6-CLD-B "Barker 6"

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Sugarloaf - Doppelmayr 4-CLD "Bucksaw Express" (refurbished lift from Big Sky)

• Total voters

urungus

10 choice limit, so not including
Sunday River - Doppelmayr 3-CLF "Merrill Hill II"
Mt. Southington - Partek 3-CLF "Northstar"

thetrailboss

Staff member

drjeff

Opened this past weekend. So I guess the question now is which will win the silver.
Probably between Whireface and Sunday River for the silver, with the other winning the bronze. Seems like the others, are more likely for tne 2nd half of December, and in some cases (Magic it may seem now), hopefully in the 23-24 season, not the 24-25 season....

drjeff

Looks like Attitash and Berkshire East have their L/P's spinning (Even if in Attitash's case there isn't enough snow on the terrain it serves after last Monday's monsoon...)

If I am not mistaken, that leaves Sugarloaf and Magic still on the list

urungus

Looks like Attitash and Berkshire East have their L/P's spinning (Even if in Attitash's case there isn't enough snow on the terrain it serves after last Monday's monsoon...)

I don’t believe either Attitash or Berkshire East have opened their new chairlifts to the public yet ? When I was at Berkshire East on Friday, employees were riding the new chair, but looking at the webcams today it appears that the public is still using the Summit Quad.

BodeMiller1

Weird, if you pour money into a nice lift wouldn't you get it up and running?
What are they waiting for Christmas?

🦘

thebigo

Sugarloaf has been targeting February opening since project was announced January 2023.

The high speed quad servicing Sugarloaf’s planned West Mountain expansion got a name today: Bucksaw Express. The moniker is a nod to the Bucksaw double, a Stadeli which served the northwest edge of the mountain from 1969 to 2015. Sugarloaf began construction on the 450 acre expansion today and it is expected to open to skiers in February 2024.

drjeff

Sugarloaf has been targeting February opening since project was announced January 2023.

Thanks for the info Big O - I knew that lift wasn't going to be an "ASAP" opening.

Now the betting pool becomes Sugarloaf vs Magic for the "Last 1st to open" title.... Who's everyone betting, and will it actually happen this ski season?

zyk

Thanks for the info Big O - I knew that lift wasn't going to be an "ASAP" opening.

Now the betting pool becomes Sugarloaf vs Magic for the "Last 1st to open" title.... Who's everyone betting, and will it actually happen this ski season?
I'll go with Sugarloaf. They announced over a year ago. Decisive and planned. Magic's plan seems to be as soon as possible. That plan has been going on for awhile with no definition of soon. Also does it count if there's no skiing off the lift? Think that would put Attitash back in the running.

urungus

I'll go with Sugarloaf. They announced over a year ago. Decisive and planned. Magic's plan seems to be as soon as possible. That plan has been going on for awhile with no definition of soon. Also does it count if there's no skiing off the lift? Think that would put Attitash back in the running.
My take is that you need to have a member of the general public take the lift to the top in order to qualify as “opened”. By that standard, Attitash is still in the running for last to open.

BodeMiller1

Maybe get the lifts ready and hope for 3' of natural 🐄

Attitash /Bear is what 800' true vertical? Nice ski area, used to ski there when the weather was suspect. 🪵

drjeff

Attitash is slated to open Mountaineer this Sunday at 8:30

That still leaves the Black at Magic, Bucksaw at The Loaf and Merril Hill at Sunday River to go.

Bucksaw is slated for around Pres Week, Merril is more of a real estate novelty lift, and will Magic get the Black spinning this year?

chuckstah

Bucksaw at the Loaf is opening Friday. Just leaves Black and Merrill. Merrill could certainly get open first, maybe by Christmas?

drjeff

So it seems like 2 of the remaing 3 will open this weekend.

Bucksaw is scheduled to open tomorrow and fingers crossed for the Black on Monday!

Kind of wild to think that 2 new, significant lifts, in the Northeast will (should) make their debuts on President's Weekend! Typically you'd expect that on say X-Mas Week or MLK Weekend, but not President's Weekend!

And Merrill wins the "last to open" title it seems, even if it was apparently always more likely to be a '24-'25 season debut

Newpylong

Yes Merrill should be excluded, never intended for this year.

Did Sugarloaf also chop back the West Mountain double this year as planned?