• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos fault?

shawnanigans

Watch the video again, when the boarder is approaching the feature the skier is on the side of the trail although if he was smart he would be much further away since he is just skiing through and not hitting the feature. When the boarder takes off the skier is still on the side, THEN he cuts across the landing zone of the feature. Is the boarder supposed to stop mid-air? If the skier was camped out there already like Jerry then it would be the boarders fault. Cutting across a landing zone especially when somebody is already committed to the line/in the air is more akin to merging onto a trail without looking then an uphill/downhill right of way issue. If you are not hitting the feature then you have no business being in the landing zone. Would you hike across a downhill mountain bike trail without looking up and then blame the mountain biker if you got smoked?

cdskier

Watch the video again, when the boarder is approaching the feature the skier is on the side of the trail although if he was smart he would be much further away since he is just skiing through and not hitting the feature. When the boarder takes off the skier is still on the side, THEN he cuts across the landing zone of the feature. Is the boarder supposed to stop mid-air? If the skier was camped out there already like Jerry then it would be the boarders fault. Cutting across a landing zone especially when somebody is already committed to the line/in the air is more akin to merging onto a trail without looking then an uphill/downhill right of way issue. If you are not hitting the feature then you have no business being in the landing zone. Would you hike across a downhill mountain bike trail without looking up and then blame the mountain biker if you got smoked?

The camera angle is a little too tight...but it looks like the skier really didn't have much space on the right side (there's a steep drop on the right visible briefly for a split second in the video). The skier was definitely visible before the boarder hit the jump. If he was familiar with this particular park and feature, he would have known that skier was very likely to end up in the landing zone and should have waited until he was sure that skier was clear.

JoeB-Z

The "dropoff" is a trap for the skier and is a bad design. He could easily traverse the dropoff (if he knew) but it guides him into the landing area instead. If that's a designated park area, you should not ski the sides unless you can hold to a 10 foot zone beside the features. Whatever the "rules". A pair of crossed poles on that side would have removed the danger also.

Hawk

I can't see what you guys are talking about. Instagram based videos don't make it through the firewall at my company.
Two simple things though......One - Skiers and snowboarders are equally stupid. There is no difference in the lever of stupidity between the two. If you have a bias twords either, that your problem. Two - Experience and awareness are crutial and there is a growing number of people that have neither.

If you are at a place on the hill where there is an obvious jump, then it is your responcibility to be aware of that and not stop or cut across. Of course there are nuances but you should always try to be aware. There are times that the circumstance is a total accident and that can't be helped or stopped. You didn't mean it.

drjeff

100% the skier.

They were overtaking the snowboarder. The snowboarder has the right of way in this case

gmcunni

Damn skiers are out of control

BodeMiller1

I looked at it again. Yes the skier is at fault. Snowboarder has the right of way as he's in front. It's far worse, the skier has his hands behind his back? I guess he thinks, I look cool and I'm going faster because I'm skiing like a jerk. Perhaps the snowboarder should grab him and ride him down the rocks and trees skiers left? Although, this may not be legal on all hills.

Happy Festivus to You and Yours
And a happy and prosperous New Year

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Damn skiers are out of control
Yeah, um, snowboarder comes out of trees from the left, never looks uphill, skier had no where to go.

BodeMiller1

My bad didn't see the bear chasing the snowboarder onto the trail. He should still look up the hill. The snowboarder is at fault. A bear cannot be at fault in bounds.

gmcunni

BodeMiller1

No skiers should touch. Back in the '80s had friends who thought it was fun to push people of the slopes. Kennedy style🧛👱
Not very nice.
Always stay out of the way of folks that ski better.
Never go anywhere near the landing of a jump. Never stand in a trail. Give kids and families the right of way. Don't smoke anything in front of kids or any one else.
When someone falls stop uphill traffic.dispose of cans and trash...

I agree with the Yout who said The rules are different in the parks. They are.

The golden rule.

We're living in a society. 🌋

MidnightJester

Snowboarder with a butt check. What's wrong with these people?
OUCH!! Maybe Ski & Boarder-cross practice :)

OUCH!!

Who Is At Fault In This Snowboarder & Skier Collision At Keystone?​

Rare open field tackle type collision caught on camera last season at Keystone on what seems like level ground. Not familiar with this area and its tough to determine who was uphill. Anyone with clarity on the situation or recognizes any other rules that may apply, please let us know who you think is at fault.

I would like to believe that is at the bottom of a trail runout and a lift line joins from 2 different sides of a lift.

Last edited:

drjeff

OUCH!!

Rare open field tackle type collision caught on camera last season at Keystone on what seems like level ground. Not familiar with this area and its tough to determine who was uphill. Anyone with clarity on the situation or recognizes any other rules that may apply, please let us know who you think is at fault.
From that angle, and with the ropes off the left of the angle the video was shot from that look like they mark off a closed portion of terrrain, looks like the snowboarder was trying to cut uphill to get over to where the skier was coming from. If that's the case, the skier had the right of way, as the snowboarder was trying to merge onto the trail, and didn't yield to those already on that trail, who would of had the right of way.

Having never skied Keystone either, not familiar with that terrain as well. Just going by what the camera angle suggests

SkiingInABlueDream

OUCH!! Maybe Ski & Boarder-cross practice :)

OUCH!!

I would like to believe that is at the bottom of a trail runout and a lift line joins from 2 different sides of a lift.
IMO you can't really tell who if anyone has right of way here. It looks like an area around a lift corral and ppl can be moving in either direction. And in this case they both just happened to be heading towards each other kinda fast. That said, the skier attempts to hockey stop while the snowboarder just plows into the skier. I think if it had been 2 competent skiers they would have both stopped in time. So, snowboarders fault IMO.