• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do we hate Killington again?

skiNEwhere

I found the first post I ever made on here, on October 29th, 2006

Hey everybody,

I'm Mike, I am 20 years old and I have skiied for 17 of those 20 years. Anyone from around Milton? I grew up there, so I went to blue hills quite often. I was an avvid skiier, but I have only been able to go on 1 ski trip in the last 3 years, that was December of 04' and it was 20 below, so it SUCKED!!! But besides the recent lapses in skiing, I have skiied at pretty much every mountain in New England (notice I said mountain, not hill, so that excludes pretty much all the "resorts" in mass). Killington is my favorite, followed close by Mount Snow.

I've tried snowboarding, but I wasn't very good at it, and I am too impatient and I don't like the bunny slopes so I went back to skiing.

I love moguls, even though I am not very good at going through them fast. Devils fiddle is up there as one of my favorite trails. Anyones else enjoy that trail?

I still have straight ski's, I never cared for the shaped ones.

After high school, I joined the Marines. I was stationed at Pendleton, and then I got sent to Fallujah, Iraq, which is where I am now. Yes they have internet, and they loosened up the restrictions, so now I can access this site. I want to keep informed on whats happening at the ski resorts in New England, because I plan on skiing there when I come home on leave.

I am supposed to leave here in a few months, and go back to Camp Pendleton (which is in California) I am hoping to make a trip to Bear and Mammoth Mountain, those are really the only ski resorts than are even somewhat close to where I am stationed. Anyone skiied there before?

After I stated Killington was my favorite mountain, and I poked around the website a little bit, I noticed how pretty much everyone (except highway star) despised K.

There are so many random threads about people hating K for this reason or that reason, but none really consolidated into one (if there is I can't find it due to the sheer volume of threads, feel free to merge this thread if there is). I think it offers quite a variety of terrain, and I don't think it's that crowded if you know where to ski. ASC might have driven THEMSELVES into the ground by converting ever other lift to a HSQ, but I don't think that really affected the skier.

reefer

I found the first post I ever made on here, on October 29th, 2006

After I stated Killington was my favorite mountain, and I poked around the website a little bit, I noticed how pretty much everyone (except highway star) despised K.

Don't put words in my mouth.......................and I beleive Mr Star dispareged K more than anyone..............................​

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I love Killington. I grew up skiing Killington. I would consider it the mountain I learned to ski on. When I was in Connecticut, it would ski all the time.

bdfreetuna

I've already made a few posts this season expressing my feelings towards the mighty K.

IMO there's nothing to hate about it. It opens early, it closes late. It's fairly huge and has legit expert terrain. It has lots of trees and some of them are really steep. It has a gondola that doesn't suck. A variety of lodges on the mountain and each one has a different vibe. Best singles mountain in New England. Lots of different kinds of terrain, Killington has everything but snowfields.

Ticket prices are too high but you get what you pay for at least. Snowdon has some clusterfuck terrain but that's only an issue early season when there's not much else to ski.

That said, I plan to invest in a Killington Express card for this season.. since I think I will go back there easily 5 more times so the card will pay for itself and then I get a free day of skiing.

Killington is a sure bet for a good time skiing in my experience.

steamboat1

That said, I plan to invest in a Killington Express card for this season.. since I think I will go back there easily 5 more times so the card will pay for itself and then I get a free day of skiing.
That's a pretty sweet deal, especially if you can use it weekdays.

As for my feelings about Killington I've been buying a season pass there for 10 years or more. I ski around at other mountains but consider K to be my home mountain. I'm very happy with my decision.

Mullen

I like Killington...it's my day trip of choice coming from CT. Once you figure out where you like to ski it keeps getting better.

Smellytele

i do not hate it. I am not a fan of the layout nor the type of crowd it attracts. I can always have fun skiing there as I can anywhere. It just is not my first ski area of choice mid season.

bobbutts

Thread is probably a year too late.. the "hate" was for shortened season, bad corporate management attitude and decisions.
Indications are things are on the up and up this season.

Lazer

Does Killington ever have any good deals for 1-2 days, I never really see any and it's so expensive...

millerm277

Does Killington ever have any good deals for 1-2 days, I never really see any and it's so expensive...

What kind of deals are you looking for? Lodging, tickets, or both?

The K57 ($57) single-day tickets they presell early in the year are a good deal, and there's quite a few quick deals/vouchers I've gotten in my email as well.

As far as lodging goes, there's ways to bring down the cost depending on what you're looking for in a place.

Lazer

Mainly tickets, possibly both. That is a good deal, K57, when should I look out for those? Do you get the email deals through their newsletter or...? I usually just use Liftopia. As far as lodging goes, not picky, just need it to be clean.

Scruffy

Don't put words in my mouth.......................and I beleive Mr Star dispareged K more than anyone..............................​

Oh, for gwadsakes, go have a safety meeting and lighten up :roll: The OP has been defending your lazy ass over in Iraq, and your bustin his chops over his choice of words?

Kmart is great for what it is, each Mountain has it's own personality. For me, would I rather got to MRG, Stowe, or the Bush, when it's dumping?, hell yeah, but K, is an hour closer on an already 3 hr drive, so I wind up hitting it more often than not when making my VT ski decision. I can ski K without feeling like I'm missing out, it's got the goods if you know where to look. It's a fun mountain. I don't really get the comments that you hear about the "poor layout" or " hard to get around". For me it's easy to get around and the layout is about the best they can do with the topography. I wish they would connect Pico.

millerm277

Mainly tickets, possibly both. That is a good deal, K57, when should I look out for those? Do you get the email deals through their newsletter or...? I usually just use Liftopia. As far as lodging goes, not picky, just need it to be clean.

Before the season starts, I'd check in Aug/September.

I just got a good deal on tickets in my inbox if you're looking to go in the next week: http://www.killington.com/winter/2for1/2for1-xpass/

Basically, they give you a ticket for free with the purchase of an Express Card in the next week or so, and it's cheaper than usual. Usual price and benefits here: http://www.killington.com/winter/plan/tickets_and_cards/express_card

So if you can get up there in the next week, it'd be a no-brainer, for the same price as a normal ticket you get a ticket + the card, and then the rest of your tickets (day 2+) are cheap.

As for lodging, the chains in Rutland are reasonably priced usually and fairly reliable in terms of quality, the access road/motels require a bit more scrutiny depending on your standards. 15-20 min drive to the mountain. If you want to be on-hill, cheap options are harder to find outside of special deals. The Fall Line condo complex has some small motel units that are cheap and not widely known about. (2 single beds, small room, but ski-in for <$100 a night most of the time, and you can use the facilities.). If you're just looking for a place to rest your head for the night that's clean, Turn of River Lodge has hostel/bunk style accomodations for <$40 a night on the access road.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
i do not hate it. I am not a fan of the layout nor the type of crowd it attracts. I can always have fun skiing there as I can anywhere. It just is not my first ski area of choice mid season.

That's kind of my feeling about Killington. I don't dislike Killington or anywhere really, but if I'm traveling to VT mid-season, I'm looking North of there. I really should return there on a nice mid-week days mid-season. I don't think I've skied there anytime but early or late season since the 90s.

Now in terms of interwebz discussion, Killington generally delivers some pretty epic threads. Love K for that. :spin: :lol:

dmc

Everybody wants to think that their choices are the correct choices... Some will try to belittle the places they did not chose..

KMart is good. Many great memories there. But I'd rather drive to Sugerbush... More my style for many reasons..

Cheese

I wouldn't call it hate, but I do prefer other resorts. The mountain(s) are a bit spread out so a lot of runs are wasted traversing. Beyond that, the guests seem to be cut from a different cloth. The best way I can explain it is by generalizing skier types.

1. There are skiers that truly love the sport and make life sacrifices to be able to afford their addiction.
2. There are locals that love their mountain and boast about it's history and future. They'll offer tips for avoiding crowds and perhaps even a secret stash.
3. There are selfish skiers that don't really care about anything more than their day of skiing and getting their money's worth. They think they're a better skier than everyone around them. Since you're less of a skier than them, they're rude because you're somehow spoiling their time.

Obviously there are a lot more types of skiers but these three sort of show the different mindset of resort guests. In my experience, Killington seems to attract a larger ratio of the type 3 visitor which is a turn-off for me. Like others have stated, it's a different vibe.