• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do we hate Killington again?

drjeff

For good or bad, the reality is that EVERY Northeastern resort, on atleast some level, has to compare what they do based on Killington.

Is K perfect? nope!

Does K do many things very welll? Yup

Does K generally push other areas to try and up their own standards? Yup

And for that I will always love K, and others will hate it for the same reasons

bdfreetuna

1. There are skiers that truly love the sport and make life sacrifices to be able to afford their addiction.
2. There are locals that love their mountain and boast about it's history and future. They'll offer tips for avoiding crowds and perhaps even a secret stash.
3. There are selfish skiers that don't really care about anything more than their day of skiing and getting their money's worth. They think they're a better skier than everyone around them. Since you're less of a skier than them, they're rude because you're somehow spoiling their time.

Obviously there are a lot more types of skiers but these three sort of show the different mindset of resort guests. In my experience, Killington seems to attract a larger ratio of the type 3 visitor which is a turn-off for me. Like others have stated, it's a different vibe.

I tend to meet Type 1 and Type 2 skiers at Killington, part of the reason I like it. But I generally strike up conversations with people who seem cool. There are a lot of locals who ski Killington and more diehard skiers who happen to live somewhere south who make it up to K because it's close enough and offers serious skiing. YMMV.

I think more of the type 3 skiers in that area can be found at Okemo.

There is also Type 4 skiers... rich assholes who go skiing because it's the thing to do in the winter if you have too much money to spend anyway. If you get stuck riding a lift with them, you will inadvertently hear how much better their latest trip to some western resort was compared to this, how that is what "real skiing" is, etc. They will talk trash about the conditions, weather and terrain in the Northeast, even though they are renting a condo for a whole week, and their skis will be in pristine condition because they probably just bought them and certainly have never taken them in the woods. And they also suck at skiing, but act like they own the mountain anyway.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
For good or bad, the reality is that EVERY Northeastern resort, on atleast some level, has to compare what they do based on Killington.

Most, but not EVERY. I don't think Stowe gives a crap what Killington does.

RENO

Before the season starts, I'd check in Aug/September.

I just got a good deal on tickets in my inbox if you're looking to go in the next week: http://www.killington.com/winter/2for1/2for1-xpass/

Basically, they give you a ticket for free with the purchase of an Express Card in the next week or so, and it's cheaper than usual. Usual price and benefits here: http://www.killington.com/winter/plan/tickets_and_cards/express_card

So if you can get up there in the next week, it'd be a no-brainer, for the same price as a normal ticket you get a ticket + the card, and then the rest of your tickets (day 2+) are cheap.
That deal is only good for the people that received it. You have to put in your full name and email address. I got the offer also...

Newpylong

Most, but not EVERY. I don't think Stowe gives a crap what Killington does.

I have to agree with DrJeff, I think most places have some level of interest in Killington's operation in one way or another, even the "mighty" Stowe (they aren't perfect.) This could be snowmaking, off-season operations, infrastructure investment, anything really. It's not all about the terrain...

Last edited:

Cheese

There is also Type 4 skiers... rich assholes who go skiing because it's the thing to do in the winter if you have too much money to spend anyway. If you get stuck riding a lift with them, you will inadvertently hear how much better their latest trip to some western resort was compared to this, how that is what "real skiing" is, etc. They will talk trash about the conditions, weather and terrain in the Northeast, even though they are renting a condo for a whole week, and their skis will be in pristine condition because they probably just bought them and certainly have never taken them in the woods. And they also suck at skiing, but act like they own the mountain anyway.

I'd venture to guess this is more likely those that are faking that they are rich. The new gear, lodging and tickets are on a credit card that may get paid off by a tax refund or they will spend a year or more trying to pay it off.

Last edited:

dmc

I'd venture to guess this is more likely those that are faking that they are rich. The new gear, lodging and tickets are on a credit card that may get paid off by a tax refund or they will spend a year or more trying to pay it off.

Posers...

BenedictGomez

Hate is too strong a word, but I dont particularly like it for many reasons already stated. It's just more so that I dont see the point in going there as opposed to a bunch of other places a similar drive or slightly more away.

Edd

Hate is too strong a word, but I dont particularly like it for many reasons already stated. It's just more so that I dont see the point in going there as opposed to a bunch of other places a similar drive or slightly more away.

I generally agree with this but I should say I've only been there 3 times (all during the ASC days). I would go again if a few things fell into place but I'm not drawn to it nearly as much as over a dozen other NE ski areas.

Lazer

Before the season starts, I'd check in Aug/September.

I just got a good deal on tickets in my inbox if you're looking to go in the next week: http://www.killington.com/winter/2for1/2for1-xpass/

Basically, they give you a ticket for free with the purchase of an Express Card in the next week or so, and it's cheaper than usual. Usual price and benefits here: http://www.killington.com/winter/plan/tickets_and_cards/express_card

So if you can get up there in the next week, it'd be a no-brainer, for the same price as a normal ticket you get a ticket + the card, and then the rest of your tickets (day 2+) are cheap.

As for lodging, the chains in Rutland are reasonably priced usually and fairly reliable in terms of quality, the access road/motels require a bit more scrutiny depending on your standards. 15-20 min drive to the mountain. If you want to be on-hill, cheap options are harder to find outside of special deals. The Fall Line condo complex has some small motel units that are cheap and not widely known about. (2 single beds, small room, but ski-in for <$100 a night most of the time, and you can use the facilities.). If you're just looking for a place to rest your head for the night that's clean, Turn of River Lodge has hostel/bunk style accomodations for <$40 a night on the access road.

Thanks for all the great tips! That 2for1 is a great deal, but it only works with your email.

abc

i do not hate it. I am not a fan of the layout nor the type of crowd it attracts. I can always have fun skiing there as I can anywhere. It just is not my first ski area of choice mid season.
K is probably no worse than Mt. Snow or Stratton or Okemo... Oh, did I just listed all the "big" mountains south of it?

That's right, it's the biggest of "big mountain" you hit if you're coming from the south, which is 80% of its visitors. That, defines the kind of skiers it gets most, metropolitan me-first type A personalities on skis. It's not a big surprise you don't like it, which probably describes most of the population, including those same type A a*holes themselves! (I mean, who "likes" selfish people?).

Little wonder those living further north aren't crazy about it. They have choices: Stowe, Sugarbush, and for god's sake, MRG.

For those of us living south of it but still within striking distance of northern VT mountains, it's easy to dislike K when we drive pass it, for all the right reasons. All the while, we were wishing K is a better mountain so we could just get out of our car NOW instead of another hour in the car...

Mpdsnowman

Ive got family (or whats left of them) who live in Rutland. When I was a kid I would ski there three times a year. A lot of my family back then worked at Killington or pico. They were very active with the mountain. It has always been the jewel of the area as far as bringing in tourists. I remember alot of my cousins friends love Killington/pico..and didnt like the other places like stowe, smuggs etc. Being Vermonters they would routinely have such conversations of which places they liked better and why. Of course size/vert used to come into those conversations. Lol My uncle would laugh and say "a mountain is like a cock. Its not the size but what it does for the person". Lol those were the days.

I dont know if the word hate applies as much as the word hectic should be applied. It is a very confusing mountain. What they conceive in some cases to be 4 trails is really 1. A lot of chairlifts and as a result you can get confused...Now add lots of people who come here from all over the world and its not low key and as a result becomes pricey which I think turns a lot of people off at times.

I believe everyone should go there once in their lives just because of its statute ...

Scruffy

What the hell are you people blathering on about. All this crap about "type of skiers". Why the hell do you care about any dick head that is more full of themself than a peacock? Look, there are a lot of core local VT Rutland area skiers, ( Tasmanian tele skiers.. et al ) that just ignore any douchbag posers and enjoy the mountain; if they can why the can't a buch of desk jockys from NH, MA, and CT? I don't get it, how does some "selfish bastard" make your day on the mountain any worse? Do they cut in line and run over you skis like they do in Europe?, No the lift lines are still orderly at K, same as the Burk, or Stowe or MRG? What is it? WTF do they do that make your day so f#$King miserable? Just because some bitch with money wears Bogner, but can't ski for shit? Just blow the f@#( by them, ski your own line, don't talk to them on the lift, geez get the f#$( over it. Be happy that you can live in a country and economy that allows you, no matter what your socio-economic standing, to own a vehicle, drive to a mountain where they operate lifts to carry your lazy ass up the mountain so you can ski.

Edd

What the hell are you people blathering on about. All this crap about "type of skiers". Why the hell do you care about any dick head that is more full of themself than a peacock? Look, there are a lot of core local VT Rutland area skiers, ( Tasmanian tele skiers.. et al ) that just ignore any douchbag posers and enjoy the mountain; if they can why the can't a buch of desk jockys from NH, MA, and CT? I don't get it, how does some "selfish bastard" make your day on the mountain any worse? Do they cut in line and run over you skis like they do in Europe?, No the lift lines are still orderly at K, same as the Burk, or Stowe or MRG? What is it? WTF do they do that make your day so f#$King miserable? Just because some bitch with money wears Bogner, but can't ski for shit? Just blow the f@#( by them, ski your own line, don't talk to them on the lift, geez get the f#$( over it. Be happy that you can live in a country and economy that allows you, no matter what your socio-economic standing, to own a vehicle, drive to a mountain where they operate lifts to carry your lazy ass up the mountain so you can ski.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I love a comparison between the liftlines at Kmart and Burke!:-D

bdfreetuna

Ehh, like I said I don't think the crowd at Killington is too bad. Good singles mountain at least and good chance to meet people from all around the world even.

I've never had my day really negatively affected by other skiers/riders around me, although I do prefer the general company of people who seem to hold similar attitudes and values to my own. I tend to find this at more "skiers mountains" and less at "destination resorts". Killington I think is both those things.

I think most Alpinezone members probably ski more and ski better than the average Joe. So because I am also computer literate and like to discuss skiing all the time, makes me a desk jockey? :p

Either way you just got madder at this thread than I have ever got at another skier or rider.

steamboat1

Hey I wear Bogner.

Also have duct tape holding my mittens together.

What does that make me?

deadheadskier

Staff member

:lol:

Did your buddies die face down in the muck in Nam so you can ski Killington?

skiadikt

where did this thread come from. this has been the first season in many where k has been getting "love" and every other thread hasn't been an epic bash k thread. you're a year too late ...