• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

yeggous

Having known Brian since he started at Mount Snow and some of the experience he had with how the GM at Mount Snow, Kelly Pawlak, runs a mountain, and having seen how others from Mount Snow have done within Peak Resorts when they've been promoted to GM's at other Peak owned properties, this forth rightedness doesn't surprise me. And my hunch is that going forward, he'll be quicker with the information.

Secondly, all the testing of various snowmaking equipment that Brian mentioned, is something that I heard about, from one of the mountain ops crew at Mount Snow this past week. Peak sent of the guys from Mount Snow, who is not only a snowmaking addict, but also a big time stats guy to help oversee this multi week, multi brand test to see what works best at not just what air temps, but what water temps. The one real intersting tidbit that I got from the mention of the test is one noteable manufacturers name that wasn't listed, SMI. Considering that Peak resorts tend to be covered with SMI polecat fan guns of various sizes (supers, "regulars" and kids), it was interesting to not see them mentioned and see techno alpin, who makes not only some good air/water low-e guns but also some good fan guns too, along with HKD and snow logic. The HKD Impluse towers seem to be gaining plenty of popularity with Peak Resorts non fan gun trails as Mount Snow just took delivery on an order of about 20 of them about a week ago and they've been in action on many air water trails the last week, with some big piles produced.

The one thing that you need to consider when talking about Peak Resorts and snowmaking, is the owner, Tim Boyd, LOVES to make snow! He actually doesn't ski or board, but still does from time to time put on his snow boots and gore tex suit and helmet and gets on the hill and drags hoses and guns around! And he's by no means a "spring chicken" ;)

Wildcat does not have enough electricity to run any fan guns. The transmission lines in Pinkham Notch can't handle the load. This is why they run all diesel conpressors.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good. Send Tim up to Wildcat and have him move some snow guns around to where they actually can make snow....Alleycat, Panther, Bobcat. ;)

Tin

Wildcat does not have enough electricity to run any fan guns. The transmission lines in Pinkham Notch can't handle the load. This is why they run all diesel conpressors.

Don't know if it is my luck or a reoccurring problem but my past two trips to Wildcat were not the best because they lost power. One time they did not get the Express going until the afternoon and the following time they lost it in the afternoon. Both times they gave out vouchers for another day but it spooked me from Wildcat.

JDMRoma

I haven't been to Wildcat or Attitash in years, not easy to get to from my area…too much back roads.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Technically, 93 to 125 and 16 is fewer miles, but you have to go through the lakes region and might get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle.

I don't know why, but I normally take 125 on the way there, and 302 on the way back.

Smellytele

Technically, 93 to 125 and 16 is fewer miles, but you have to go through the lakes region and might get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle.

I don't know why, but I normally take 125 on the way there, and 302 on the way back.

Do you mean 25 (not 125) through Meredith?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was directed by Wildcat's marketing department to a blog written by their GM written TODAY.
http://skiwildcat.com/whats-happening.html?id=5509
It goes a long way to explain the current condition of things and their limitations. The problems as explained therein seem more complex than we have described and their engineering support appears quite competent. Given their track record at other resorts, I would expect no less. I was quite surprised to learn the narrow range of temperatures which make upper mountain snowmaking viable. Seems to me, they need to offer some sort of compensating event to stem the loss of customers.

Smellytele

I was directed by Wildcat's marketing department to a blog written by their GM written TODAY.
http://skiwildcat.com/whats-happening.html?id=5509
It goes a long way to explain the current condition of things and their limitations. The problems as explained therein seem more complex than we have described and their engineering support appears quite competent. Given their track record at other resorts, I would expect no less. I was quite surprised to learn the narrow range of temperatures which make upper mountain snowmaking viable. Seems to me, they need to offer some sort of compensating event to stem the loss of customers.

Yes that was posted already

SIKSKIER

Interesting that the "wins" were rebuilding 9 of the 10 pumps but it was a failed pump created this problem and multiplied it when lower pressure froze the water line.It looks like these guys are headed in the right direction and ran into some tough luck.From what I read on that blog Wildcat will have a much stronger snowmaking system next season.

yeggous

I'm guessing that they saw a huge drop in revenue this year and now realize that the situation is untenable. They either invest big bucks or throw in the towel. I doubt operations are profitable right now. The place was a ghost town even by Wildcat standards when I went there on New Years Eve.

Angus

Think that route puts me at 2:45 hours…..Cannon or Bretton is less driving but Ya I could do that.

I find 3 to 115 to 2 to gorham and then down 16 is best. If I'm in Meredith, I take 25 up to conway.

Looking ahead, lack of man-made probably will put a real dent in their april ski calendar, too bad.

Brad J

First I thank the GM for finally coming clean, a month late but I will put that in the past, There is great skiing on the lower mountain , if they make a real effort, gondi line, alley cat, panther , even al's folly can be covered with snow guns, there effort will be the factor whether they can keep their up until now loyal customer bace. Many of the lower mountain can do fine with natural snow, catenary cougar to name a few. If they trow in the towel now and think they can recover the customer bace next year they are dreaming. don't tell me what you are going to do, show me what you have done. Get those 85 guns going on whatever you can and they will repair the damage done.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They very much need to make a great effort on the lower mountain for the remainder of the season AND put their money where their mouth is next summer if they want to retain the customers they have. I'm thinking several trails need to be lined with Low-E tower guns; Polecat, Lynx (ttb), Catapult, Wildcat, Bobcat, Cheetah.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Here's my crazy idea:

They said they'll get replacement parts in 6-8 weeks, correct? Make a bunch of snow in March and be open till May and compete with Killington in the spring. Show the customers (especially season pass holders) that they are number 1 on the priority list by giving them a long spring season as a way of saying "we're sorry" for having this whole snowmaking fiasco that ruined November and December.

I told you it was crazy.

ScottySkis

Here's my crazy idea:

They said they'll get replacement parts in 6-8 weeks, correct? Make a bunch of snow in March and be open till May and compete with Killington in the spring. Show the customers (especially season pass holders) that they are number 1 on the priority list by giving them a long spring season as a way of saying "we're sorry" for having this whole snowmaking fiasco that ruined November and December.

I told you it was crazy.

Crazy but I like it. I wanted to ski Wildcat this season but I not spending money there with all the bad things I am hearing.