• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat / Cranmore Mountain 3/26/05

loafer89

I took my son to ski at Wildcat to enjoy a new ski experience as well as to see Mount Washington up close. We arrived at the ski area at 9:00am and we started out skiing at 9:30am. Our first run was down Polecat from top to bottom. Snow conditions were an unpleasant mix of frozen granular chunks of ice and some packed powder, even though the trail is long and the views are spectacular, the snow surface sucked.

Our next run was down Upper Catapult to Middle Wildcat and on to Wildkitten. We had a fun time skiing Upper Catapult as the snow and views of Mount Washington were great. As we got down to Middle Wildcat we skied right into a trail that has a race occurring on it which was not marked as such from the trail above. Basically everyone skiing there was funneled onto the right side of the trail which was maybe 15' wide and SHEET ICE. Warren tried his best to ski it, but he took a fall and slide quite a bit down, until stopping. Other skiers were complaining about the lack of proper marking for this race as well while trying to navigate around it.

Warren made it down to Wildkitten shaken but unhurt, but boy oh boy was daddy pissed off :angry: :angry:
I imformed customer service about the incident on the mountain and got the response that the ski patrol would be dispatched to mark the trail. I also informed them that I was leaving the place never to return as I felt the conditions unsafe for skiing with my son. As much as I hate to waste money (55$) we drove down to ski at Cranmore.

Cranmore skied like other animal with soft spring snow and warm, sunny comfortable weather. We skied all the trails in the East Bowl with great spring conditions. I also took runs down Arlberg top to bottom as well as North Conway and North Slope.

There was a pond skimming contest going on on North Slope, and it was interesting to watch the contestants try to ski/board across the icy pond that had been set up. It was a shame to find out that the mountain was closing on Easter sunday, especially with tons of snowcover.

Vortex

Glad you had fun at Cranmore. My kids love the old double chair on the East side. They have as much fun riding that as skiing and boarding. Cranmore closes 1st of the Booth Creek resorts because the passes work at Waterville and Loon and they have higher traffic.

loafer89

We really enjoyed Cranmore and the ticket price was only $39 for the whole day, not bad for a resort with a HSQ lift. The east bowl trails were just long enough to keep Warren interested. We had wanted to ski at Black Mtn, but it had alot of thin and bare areas on most of the trails, so we decided to go to Cranmore. My wife was also happy to be able to shop in North Conway while we skied.

Greg

Staff member
Bob R said:
I really liked your son's picture coming out of the woods in the gallery. Great Stuff.
Agreed. I love the pics with your son, loafer89. It's really inspiring. My daughter will be ready to head out with me in 2006/2007. Maybe we'll find a little hill to fool around on next season even...

loafer89

To my wife's dismay I have created a glade/mogul monster, and Warren likes to ski uncomfortably close to trail edges and dable into the trees, yikes!!!!

We plan on skiing again at Bretton Woods next year, but this trip was a compromise because I wanted to go to Sugarloaf, but my wife was not up for the drive.

Rose Canyon is a great glade system with glades EVERYWHERE you look.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Warren likes to ski uncomfortably close to trail edges and dable into the trees, yikes!!!!
I know what you mean. :eek: Skiing with young kids is very stressful..fun but stressful. My first day with my daughter I thought she was going to ski right off the trail and in to the trees, but then she hit that snowplow action and turned like a champ. :D

loafer89

Now Warren feels that he is good enough to ski moguls after skiing them top to bottom on the Aggassiz trail at Bretton Woods, so I will try skiing with him on Superstar in May. I was amazed that he skied the moguls top to bottom without a fall on his first try.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Now Warren feels that he is good enough to ski moguls after skiing them top to bottom on the Aggassiz trail at Bretton Woods, so I will try skiing with him on Superstar in May. I was amazed that he skied the moguls top to bottom without a fall on his first try.
For living on the Island you sure get to ski tons of places. I am jealous. Wish I could get up north half as many times as you.

loafer89

Believe me, I would rather be the one going to Sugarloaf!!!!. I am only really skiing as much now because I have my son to ski with, and he is geting better by the day. I have 23 days so far and I hope to get to 25 by season's end.