• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Americans be Allowed to Ski in Canada Next Winter?

p_levert

The current CDC "Covid 19 Vaccination Record Card" is a cheapo thing and easy to duplicate. But it would not be hard for CDC or social security to come up with something more elaborate: multi-color and with a hologram. And, really, that's all you need. Sure criminal bands could counterfeit these things, but it's not particularly likely. Why spend $100 for a fake vaccine card, when you can just go in and get vaccinated, and earn a freebie? I really don't think counterfeiting is likely to be a big issue. And for the border, they already have a giant database at their disposal, so not hard to do a crosscheck. We need to get this done before the start of ski season!

p_levert

The current CDC "Covid 19 Vaccination Record Card" is a cheapo thing and easy to duplicate. But it would not be hard for CDC or social security to come up with something more elaborate: multi-color and with a hologram. And, really, that's all you need. Sure criminal bands could counterfeit these things, but it's not particularly likely. Why spend $100 for a fake vaccine card, when you can just go in and get vaccinated, and earn a freebie? I really don't think counterfeiting is likely to be a big issue. And for the border, they already have a giant database at their disposal, so not hard to do a crosscheck. We need to get this done before the start of ski season!
Another thing, even if 1% of the population bought counterfeit vaccination cards, that would hardly be a big deal. The vaccines are not 100% effective, so a few cheaters will not make any difference at all.

2Planker

Another thing, even if 1% of the population bought counterfeit vaccination cards, that would hardly be a big deal. The vaccines are not 100% effective, so a few cheaters will not make any difference at all.
Beautiful....

That's why this country is going down the crapper.
Sure, Go get a fake card

When you're ready, you can have a Fake Vacc too

Last edited:
I would think Canada could set up a registry where you supply electronically your vaccination information. Not a right to go into Canada so your choice whether you choose to be placed on a secure registry for border crossing purposes.

The paper cards are super easy to forge and if 1% do, then they become somewhat worthless. Sort of like if 1% of folks purchasing alcohol are underage using fake ID

dblskifanatic

Your point is also valid. There're a lot of US resorts to justify buying a pass. It's just a matter of which. Northeast vs Local vs full epic (I have credit that I need to use, so only the Epic family is being considered)

Even without Whistler, I can still justify buying the Epic Local (over the Epic Northeast, as I did in 20/21 season), as I would likely travel to Colorado and California as I typically do each season. But it wouldn't justify the $200 premium of full Epic just for the holiday blackouts. (ok, the full Epic adds a few other US mountains, notably Telluride and Snowbasin. But I have no plan to ski them in 21/22 season)
You did a western trip in 2018 or so where you traveled all around, right (took a hiatus from work)? If so you are familiar with the drives.

machski

Americans may, but Whistler is a global destination. I can’t imagine them getting overwhelmed this coming season.
You may need to take a look at how crazy busy it was at Crystal and Stevens Pass this past winter with Ikon/Epic (Bachelor too). That demand was blamed in large part because the North boarder was closed.

abc

So they're talk about opening up on August 21! That would be fantastic. I was just thinking about taking a vacation starting August 21!!!

2Planker

Canada has surpassed the United States in the percentage of people who are fully vaccinated. After months of slow, lagging vaccination rates amid a once chaotic vaccine rollout, Canada surpassed its southern neighbour on Sunday. According to CTV, 48.8 percent of Canadians are now fully vaccinated, compared to 48.1 percent of Americans.

Now they're definitely not letting us in

fbrissette

Newspapers are saying the Canadian border should be open to Americans for non-essential travel on August 9. Fully vaccinated and a 72-hour negative covid test needed. Official announcement this afternoon.

abc

Let's hope the rapidly increasing case count in the US doesn't freak the Canadians out and change their mind!

BenedictGomez

Newspapers are saying the Canadian border should be open to Americans for non-essential travel on August 9. Fully vaccinated and a 72-hour negative covid test needed. Official announcement this afternoon.

Of course with the overkill. Always with the overkill.

And bonus "illogical points" for allowing unvaccinated children to enter with vaccinated parents.