• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Work It Out - Meathead Films

BackLoafRiver

First, HUGE props to Sugarloaf for putting this on their facebook page. (one of the reasons I am glad I do facebook)

Turns out they were doing a free show at Bowdoin College last night so I raced out of the house. Got there 20 minutes early and met Chris James and his parents. (we were the only people there at this point) The guys is mad cool and is from right down the road in Bath, ME.

Blah blah blah...on to the film.

I like Meathead's stuff. It is fun and doesn't feel like it takes itself too seriously. That being said, some of the stuff was just awesome.

It was only 45 minutes long. LOTS (and by lots I mean almost 30 minutes) of Urban stuff. Not really my scene but I get why they did it. Some of the urban shots were filmed 20 minutes away in Auburn. (there is even a cameo by some crusty old Mainer) There are some pretty impressive scenes...tricks through broken down buildings, some cool jumps built against a wall, and a few rail rides.

They also did a lot of filming at Sugarloaf this year. Some park stuff (which was cool) but the tree shots were just awesome. I would love to find where some of that was filmed. For you bump hounds, there is the obligatory "Hammer" sequence where he rips up K-ton and then gets busy on May 2nd at Sugarloaf skiing some of the moguls there.

Lots more to say but I won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it. Hopefully they let the credits run because the blooper reel is funny as hell.

There was a lot of free stuff...some stuff from Stowe, DVD's, Pint Glasses, Gloves. They did a raffle too. Go see it if you get the chance. Support East Coast Skiing!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How did it compare to their series of eight or nine Work It Out teasers from this summer? I liked them. Were they included?

showing somewhere in Haverhill, Mass on November 20th.

gorgonzola

i saw it last week with my son at bethlehem pa's stoketoberfest event - way cool! along with some other swag i also got a free copy of '06's snow gods which is also good in the same ways - amzing to see the progression in some of the park/urban stuff. my son went ape shi!t over some of the tricks!

BackLoafRiver

How did it compare to their series of eight or nine Work It Out teasers from this summer? I liked them. Were they included?

showing somewhere in Haverhill, Mass on November 20th.

I liked the teasers a lot. Some of them were included. (possibly all...I missed a few of them) Definitely the stuff from Jay and the Sugarloaf hiking was in there. The search and rescue stuff, not so much.

Huck_It_Baby

It was only 45 minutes long. LOTS (and by lots I mean almost 30 minutes) of Urban stuff.

Boooo

If I remember the opening shot of "Wild Stallions" last year was a rail....such a let down after waiting for a new video all summer. I'd rather see someone burst through the trees in a cloud of snow.

I hope the DVD extras have a lot of powder shots and backcountry.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not sure how I feel about 2/3 of it being urban shots.....I know that the snow was in the south, but I can only watch a guy ride a rail so many times. Sorry.

Skimaine

I am not a big fan of the urban stuff, but I must say there were some cool shots. Do not let it keep you from going.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not sure how I feel about 2/3 of it being urban shots.....I know that the snow was in the south, but I can only watch a guy ride a rail so many times. Sorry.

Agreed. They must be shooting for a different demographic. Definitely a gap here. I am finding the Warren Miller material to be a bit tiresome. I like the Meatheads because it's a bit edgy, but I too would like to see something more edgy on mountain.

djspookman

ditto to the rail stuff.. I like rails,. but not most of the movie. I haven't bought a flick from them since Wanderland. I miss the good old days of a good mixup of skiing on the mtn in there, especially the gnar at Stowe.

gorgonzola

i thought the urban stuff was cool, wasn't just sliding rails. if those times are correct it certainly didn't seem tha lopsided

wa-loaf

Got my DVD today. Got a date so viewing will have to wait until tomorrow. They had a prob with the wristbands and sent out beanies instead.

Huck_It_Baby

Whoo Hoo!

Came home to my new Meathead DVD in the mail today =)

Much needed after a tedious work week and resorts beginning to open up.

Puck it

Got mine over the weekend and watched it. Radio Ron classic line from the movie. After getting out of control in the bumps and bails into what he thought was grass but was rocks.

" I think that my last run today"

Classic!!!!!!

EPB

Word on the street is they're coming to the Beast of the East next year to film HighwayStar's extreme skiing clinic. ;)