• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Choice Supermarket

What is YOUR Favorite Supermarket Chain?

• Price Chopper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaw's

• Stop 'n Shop

• Hannaford's

• Market Basket

• Super Wal Mart

• Target

• IGA/Local Affiliate

• The Local Store (elaborate)

• I dunno...just feed me.

• Don't care.

• The Cheapest....

• Local Cooperative.

• Total voters

SilentCal

Have to plead the fifth on this one. I work for one of those mentioned. I see a lot of what costs are at our warehouse and then the mark-ups when they go to our stores. You'd be surprised.

You'd also be surprised at how much supermarkets lie about using "local" produce. That's a farse if I ever heard one.

Cards are okay, but they track you with them and see just how much you shop there and what you buy.

hammer

Brettski said:
Food Lion
Krogers
Publix
Winn Dixie
Piggly Wiggly

(I kid you not)
I thought those chains were further south then NJ.

Of course, it's only been 23 years since I last lived in NJ full-time...

bill9009

I'd have to say price chopper, for one its the closest and they always have buy one get one free specials, or buy one get 2 free. I do miss Harris Teeter though, I lived walking distance to one of those when I lived on Virginia Beach. I guess I liked it so much cause I usually ended up there at 3am after a night at the bar, hungry as hell.

ctenidae

Ah, the Harry Peter. Def my preferred grocery store when I lived in NC. The President's Choice cookies were great.

RossiSkier

Hannaford is our family choice. It's 200 yards from a Price Chopper. PC is ghetto in our town. Hannaford is friendlier and cleaner, and has better prices on the things we buy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I KNEW there was a reason for having this thread on Alpine Zone!!! Talk about ESP! :lol:

Seriously...ski ticket books for sale at all Price Choppers.

Lostone

I KNEW there was a reason for having this thread on Alpine Zone!!! Talk about ESP! :lol:

And that reason would be to pad your post count by getting to put this same post in both threads? :blink:

:lol:

I have the local choice of Mehurons and Shaws. Generally I buy only what is on special with the card ( It's not like it is my name they're tracking. :wink: ) Most of my groceries, I buy at Mehurons.

I like local.

I do get unhappy about them advertising things on special, then not having them, and when that happens, I'll skip buying it and will sometimes buy that item at Shaws.

Interestingly, Shaws has this "check the price" thing. And they say compare to Price Chopper. And that price might be better than Price Chopper. But Price Chopper is in Montpelier. (Or Barre or Berlin. (Not sure where the borderlines are, there. Not easy to differentiate like Waitsfield and Irasville. :lol: )) Mehurons is across the street, and often has a better price.

Great that they told me to check it. I almost bought it at Shaws! :lol:

By the way, I've only wandered thru the Price Choppers once. Prices seemed to be generally higher than Shaws. Don't know about quality, as I just kept wandering. :wink:

pepsi

My favorites are Wegman's and Top's International.

Unfortunately, there are none around here so I'm stuck with Stop and Shop or Shoprite. Sometimes I have to go to both to find something fresh and it's a rare trip that either would have everything on a list of more than 4-5 things.

There's a Shaw's if I feel like driving to the next town but it's even more irritating to drive there and find out that they don't have something either.

What bugs me is that Stop and Shop and Top's have the same parent company. With no real competition there is no incentive to improve here.

cantdog

Market Basket has the best prices, but Shaw's is in a more convenient location, has a better selection and carries higher quality products. I voted for them, but they really don't deserve to be called my favorite due to their higher prices and business practices.