• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Summer Vacation

Where do you like to spend your summer vacation and why?

• Ocean/Beach

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Mountains/Lake

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Home

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

ccskier

I live on other peoples vacations. Friend has the bumber sticker saying "I am not on your vacation".

mondeo

I like to spend my summer vacation in the winter.

I've got 15 vacation days a year, I'll use 'em to ski.

This year I spent my summer vacation at Lake Anna Virginia. I went there because my parents rented a house there. I got to be on a boat!!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Camping and amusement parks with some hiking on the side works for me. "Anywhere but here" is essentially my philosophy. Summer 2009 was the first year in the past three that I actually was able to take a full week off in the summer.

wa-loaf

Not that I get to it it often, but there's nothing like hanging at a nice lake house (or camp as we call them in Maine)

Hawkshot99

I voted beach, because that is were my family has a vacation home. But I am sitting in my cousin's lake house on Lake George right now.

playoutside

Most summers I tend to do several long weekends car camping near lakes/rivers or along the coast. I bring my bike and kayak and am pretty much happy.

This summer I went to Greece for a while and with the rain haven't yet camped in NE. I'm hoping we have some nice Sept weekends for camping.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Haven't been on summer vacation in a while but I preferred when we headed to the White Mountains to the beaches on the Cape.

Dr Skimeister

I've vacationed here at the beach in Hatteras, NC, for most summers in the last 30 years. We've been doing 2 week stints for the last 6 years now. It's gotten to be like a "coming home" for us. I find more peace here than anywhere else.

dmc

Vacations are generally for Winter...

deadheadskier

Staff member
.....mind you, I would love to take a vacation every summer; I just happen to have chosen an industry that thinks that 5-7 days vacation time a year is all people need. :mad:

drjeff

Living about 45 minutes from the CT/RI shore (and having friends with boats that lhave houses there) tends to see me + my family down there a few times a summer for a day or two, plus then trips to my place up in VT, so I kind of do both the mtns and beach/ocean, just in 2 or 3 day segments.

Plus, there's just such a huge range of things to do in the summer that I enjoy, that unlike in winter when I have no problems staying put in 1 location for a week of vacation, in the summer, I generally want to keep moving on to new and different things + places every couple of days or so, so I usually won't take a full week of vacation in the summer and spend it in the same place.

I could goto Cape Cod to my in-laws place anytime I want, but see my reply in DHS's thread about Cape Cod and what's the deal for that response ;)

Last edited:

hammer

Long Beach Island in Jersey, a 22 mile long barrier island.
I thought it was only 18 miles...

Good place to go...as a former "local", I remember that the place was especially nice in September after the crowds left. What town do you usually stay in?

campgottagopee

In September we always have our annual "CNCM" Lodge meeting, this being the 8th. What it consist's of is 4 close family's renting a house on one of the Finger Lakes or lake up in the Dacks, drinking beer all day, playing silly games, sitting around campfires telling the same old BS stories we have for years. It really is a "big deal"---we have t-shirts made up every year, Lodge Member of the year awards and anyhting else we can think up[ to make us laugh. One of my fav weeks of the year---good friends and just all round hoot hollerin time.

4aprice

Not so much a vacation as I live there but I spend most of my time on Lake Hopatcong. We get to the shore to see friends every once in a while and go to the Pocono house every once in a while too. Summer hasn't been a great time to vacation recently with kids activities that seem to go year round. By next summer my daughter should be driving which should change things a bit.

Best summer vacation we had was back in 2004 when we spent a week on Lake Winnipesaukee. What a beautiful place and stacked with activities. Someday I'll get my house up there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ