• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

bdfreetuna

So I would expect them to be not only willing, but able, to put down a lot more snow and be a legit early season option. All we need is mother nature to lend a hand.....

Also keep in mind that with the Green chair they can open much quicker given the shorter linear feet of snow needed.

Hope it pans out that way next year. I will be there. Think I went there twice this year. With more early season skiing and general snowmaking I might be inclined towards making that 3 or 4 days a season. The trees and steeps are the big draw so the earlier they can get at least a few of those open, the better.

Of course God decides how the weather will be so best intentions can always be foiled.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree that this is probably the BEST improvement at Magic in a very long time. The work on snowmaking has been a plus, but having a reliable lift to get skiers to the terrain is key.

MG Skier

Wow, Rumors DO come true! This is great news indeed. I guess that makes up my mind on a Blackout Pass! Congrats Magic for hitting it out of the park on your pressing of the Reset Button. Couldn't be more excited for you guys right now this is huge progress!

skithetrees

Any word on what the lift line will be including top and bottom stations? I assume all new footings will need to be poured. This is a huge upgrade and I know not initially in this years plan. Props to the team for stepping up when the opportunity came their way. It's going to be a heck of a summer season. Best of luck!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This makes it much more enticing for me to visit midweek with a back-up lift in case Red goes down. Weekends? I feel like a quad is too much capacity, especially if not everything is open. I also don't see how they'll be able to park the masses. Whatever the case I wish them luck as it really doesn't effect me weekends. See you Thursday though!! :beer:

skixc2

This makes it much more enticing for me to visit midweek with a back-up lift in case Red goes down. Weekends? I feel like a quad is too much capacity, especially if not everything is open. I also don't see how they'll be able to park the masses. Whatever the case I wish them luck as it really doesn't effect me weekends. See you Thursday though!! :beer:

It's not great, but there's a big parking lot, "Lot C" down by the bottom of the access Rd. Trail crowding is more concerning than parking issues, but they seem to be on top of that with limiting ticket sales. (Show up early to avoid both issues.)

MG Skier

It's not great, but there's a big parking lot, "Lot C" down by the bottom of the access Rd. Trail crowding is more concerning than parking issues, but they seem to be on top of that with limiting ticket sales. (Show up early to avoid both issues.)

Show up early, don't we all already do that....

If you were there on race day, or a weekend when Black lift struggled, this will knock out those lines, with Green lift too. I'm not sure there will be any lines......They are focused on the experience.....limited tickets is key.

p_levert

Show up early, don't we all already do that....

If you were there on race day, or a weekend when Black lift struggled, this will knock out those lines, with Green lift too. I'm not sure there will be any lines......They are focused on the experience.....limited tickets is key.

With the green and enhanced black lifts, the lift capacity will be about double. I have to assume that the lift ticket limit will increase. If I was JM, I would do this. The mountain can handle this, although the east side might start to feel a little crowded. West side will continue to be empty.

The Sneak

It will be fine. Even on a powder day with 20 min wait for Red Chair, you almost never saw anyone on the trails. Crowding would be a nice problem.

Then again my home hill is Wachusett so my tolerance is perhaps greater...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

With the green and enhanced black lifts, the lift capacity will be about double. I have to assume that the lift ticket limit will increase. If I was JM, I would do this. The mountain can handle this, although the east side might start to feel a little crowded. West side will continue to be empty.

JM said limit will increase by only 500, to 2,000 day tickets. With Green and Black, liftlines will not be an issue. With increased snowmaking trail crowding won't either. Plus the big crowds only come when natural terrain is open, and there is plenty of that to handle the new lift capacity, especially if glades are added, which JM also alluded to.

drjeff

JM said limit will increase by only 500, to 2,000 day tickets. With Green and Black, liftlines will not be an issue. With increased snowmaking trail crowding won't either. Plus the big crowds only come when natural terrain is open, and there is plenty of that to handle the new lift capacity, especially if glades are added, which JM also alluded to.
The bigger "issue" may now be the potential increased crowding in the Black Line Tavern on a busy day vs the on hill crowding!! [emoji6] [emoji6]

On the "big" days the last few seasons, Magic has had if not 100% of their terrain open, pretty close to it. That's plenty of acres to spread 500 more people on the hill out over....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

The bigger "issue" may now be the potential increased crowding in the Black Line Tavern on a busy day vs the on hill crowding!! [emoji6] [emoji6]

On the "big" days the last few seasons, Magic has had if not 100% of their terrain open, pretty close to it. That's plenty of acres to spread 500 more people on the hill out over....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Ha, I think you are spot on! Craig better expand the bar. Crowded slope, no biggie. Long wait for a fiddlehead, mutiny!

p_levert

Sure, if that's all it is. But if I was JM, I would go higher than a 2,000 day ticket limit. They need cash flow to keep the mountain strong and have some reserves for the low-snow years. This is not a cooperative or charity operation, they need to make some money.

JamaicaMan

SKI MAGIC is certainly here to make a profit while maintaining our operating capital reserves for those literally “rainy day” seasons. But for Magic to have a successful business model as a smaller player in this highly competitive and “no growth” industry, we are committed to a different experience from that the ski industry has been inexorably moving toward for decades. Since we are not a mega resort, why be like them and drive excessive volume/profits on already busy profitable days at the expense of an experience our customers will enjoy and then hopefully return again to see us on other days we are less busy?

Balance. We know the numbers where we can be profitable. We also know the customer experience we want. Magic will leave some short-term money on the table to have an experience that we believe will create long-term loyalty from customers for a unique community experience.

Guess we’ll see if it works! #bedifferent #thinkdifferent

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

p_levert

Thanks for the response JamaicaMan.

It's all about finding the proper balance. Showing up at Magic Mtn on a beautiful day and really stoked to ski, it's a major bummer to be turned away. And being turned away doesn't really build brand loyalty, it just makes you avoid Magic on Saturday. So maybe the correct balance point is 2500 day passes or even 3000. Just saying.

OTOH, I do think it's very clever that season passholders are not subject to the daily limit, so a nice way to goose season pass sales.

sull1102

I know it happened a couple times, but does anyone know how many days the limit was reached and folks turned away? I imagine the number is very small and an additional 500 tickets would be 300 more than needed. That being said I think the crowds will turn out in droves with a real quad up and running reliably. In my eyes this is as big a deal as if they were going detachable because people were already coming around on Magic and now that momentum is being cranked up in almost unimaginable ways. Just look around, everyone who even suggested this move was shouted down as crazy and now it is really happening, that is very rare for any mountain these days.

JamaicaMan

Thanks for the response JamaicaMan.

It's all about finding the proper balance. Showing up at Magic Mtn on a beautiful day and really stoked to ski, it's a major bummer to be turned away. And being turned away doesn't really build brand loyalty, it just makes you avoid Magic on Saturday. So maybe the correct balance point is 2500 day passes or even 3000. Just saying.

OTOH, I do think it's very clever that season passholders are not subject to the daily limit, so a nice way to goose season pass sales.[/

Interestingly, that is NOT the case about people avoiding it if turned away. People now call ahead and make sure to show early once they learn we have it. Actually drives interest.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone