• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Base Area Bars

drjeff

ski the east has their own IPA now brewed by long trail. havent tried yet.

i think lawsons may brew something for sugarbush?

If you like malty IPA's you'll like the Ski The East IPA...

I bought a 4 pack 2 weeks ago, won't be buying another based on my preferred IPA taste profiles. Cool art work, with a 6" ruler on the side of the can though

Zand

I agree on Mahogany being not really a place with "soul". It's kind of just an extension of KBL with a bar. No real character IMO.

Interesting that Sushi Yoshi is a hit in Killington. While their franchise in Stowe is busy, I don't know many locals who hang there much. Matterhorn, Doc Ponds, Piecasso, Idletyme, Burt's or even stopping in the Alchemist would all be better apres choices up there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

To clarify...Mahogany is full of items from K's past and has tributes to a couple past employees. The view is great from anywhere in there while still being on the main floor. It's a big enough area to not feel real cramped like some places. The mural and other stuff on the walls are cool. Always has a fun atmosphere to it.

In contrast, went into the new Widowmaker at Sugarloaf and it's a total yuppie/hipster type joint that has no business being at a hardcore type ski area. It's bland, dark, loud obnoxious music instead of an acoustic band. If I wanted something like that I'd go to Portland. I'd bet a lot of money this is what the new bar at K will be like and it just doesn't fit the ski area vibe unless you're at Copper or Vail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haven't been to the new Widowmaker. Vastly preferred the old WM to Mahogany. From my experience at the old, sometimes it's louder rock bands, sometimes acoustic bands. They always mixed it up. Perhaps that has changed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

gotta disagree on the 'mahogany bar' being so great. i didnt even know it had a name. i've always called it "that shitty bar in the shitty k-1 lodge". never really cared for it, and since it's just an extension of the lodge with no proper separation or entrance, its always full of kids. i have a great distaste for kids. prefer the bar at bear mountain base lodge for that specific reason.

Smellytele

gotta disagree on the 'mahogany bar' being so great. i didnt even know it had a name. i've always called it "that shitty bar in the shitty k-1 lodge". never really cared for it, and since it's just an extension of the lodge with no proper separation or entrance, its always full of kids. i have a great distaste for kids. prefer the bar at bear mountain base lodge for that specific reason.

lol. I never liked it either, It has no soul. Come on you have to sit at cafeteria tables.

KustyTheKlown

despite my avowed adulthood hatred for kids in bars (kids generally really), some of my best childhood ski memories are hanging out in cuzzins in the mount snow lodge and watching bruce jacques perform. i dont know if cuzins or bruce jacques is still a thing. i dont mount snow anymore.

35 year old me absolutely hates 12 year old me for being in the bar.

laxski

despite my avowed adulthood hatred for kids in bars (kids generally really), some of my best childhood ski memories are hanging out in cuzzins in the mount snow lodge and watching bruce jacques perform. i dont know if cuzins or bruce jacques is still a thing. i dont mount snow anymore.

Yes ... Yes and that’s too bad!!!

catskillman

Blockbuster Bar @ Plattekill

Black Bear Tavern @ Smuggler's Notch

Owl Bar @ Sundance

Owl bar !! so unique, comfortable etc. Definitly the best around.

I notice noone is commentin on Hunter's bar. Can's agree more on that

drjeff

And when you're say a 50 year old, with a 12 year old in a ski bar with you, you'll probably hate 35yr old you for hating 12yr old you for being in a ski bar [emoji6]

The circle of the ski (and apres ski) lifestyle there!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

smac75

i agree that they put CR in the wrong location. the bar itself is designed poorly as well as you can't see the band while sitting at most of the bar

Never understood it. We exclusively ski LP and drive over to green mtn every sat after we are done. Wish late season would move back over there to take advantage of that amazing deck.

KustyTheKlown

And when you're say a 50 year old, with a 12 year old in a ski bar with you, you'll probably hate 35yr old you for hating 12yr old you for being in a ski bar [emoji6]

The circle of the ski (and apres ski) lifestyle there!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Nope. We aren’t breeders. Gf and I both do not want kids and that isn’t going to change. The idea of having children is absolutely repulsive. I’d be fine with it if humanity just stopped having kids and faded itself out.

tumbler

You need to move out of the city take your ski pole out of your ass. You have fond memories of being in a bar at apres as a kid listening to music but now the site of a kid in a bar listening to music, learning the vibe makes you puke? Why wouldn't just ignore them?

KustyTheKlown

thats mind blowing that bruce jacques still plays cuzzins every weekend 25 years later.

and yep, admitted asshole anti-child curmudgeon here.

snoseek

I'm ok with kids near the bar but you better not expect me to change my language or behavior to create a family friendly environment. Your kid is gonna learn some stuff...

jaywbigred

I'm ok with kids near the bar but you better not expect me to change my language or behavior to create a family friendly environment. Your kid is gonna learn some stuff...
This is the correct attitude. Kids in a bar, totally fine (unless the parents aren't parenting, in which case, gtfo), but you have to know what you are exposing them to and be okay with it. Same goes for sporting events and rock concerts.

BenedictGomez

This is the correct attitude.

No, that's never the "correct" attitude, and it never was the "correct" attitude until the recent entitlement years. Me, me, me, me, me.

Not that many years ago you could go to a baseball game & even sit in the cheap bleachers with the "common folk", and if people saw you had two 8 year olds with you, they would specifically refrain from cursing or certain topics within earshot. Only the lowest-class of society would break that unwritten rule. I'd still say it's a "class" issue, but it's no longer the dregs-of-society who do so. It's sad. Common courtesy is becoming less common.

KustyTheKlown

sporting events should require some courtesy. that's always been a family environment, even with the drunk adult fans around

concerts and bars, nope, no consideration for kids required. kids dont belong there and its on their parents for bringing them to an explicitly adult environment.

snoseek

No, that's never the "correct" attitude, and it never was the "correct" attitude until the recent entitlement years. Me, me, me, me, me.

Not that many years ago you could go to a baseball game & even sit in the cheap bleachers with the "common folk", and if people saw you had two 8 year olds with you, they would specifically refrain from cursing or certain topics within earshot. Only the lowest-class of society would break that unwritten rule. I'd still say it's a "class" issue, but it's no longer the dregs-of-society who do so. It's sad. Common courtesy is becoming less common.

If you're ok with dragging your kid into the bar your kid probably has heard/seen some shit. If not then who is the entitled one here?
I understand sporting events more though

BenedictGomez

sporting events should require some courtesy. that's always been a family environment, even with the drunk adult fans around

concerts and bars, nope, no consideration for kids required. kids dont belong there and its on their parents for bringing them to an explicitly adult environment.

I agree with you on concerts, but not bars. If someone brings their 7 year old to a Pearl Jam concert, do they really expect Eddie Vedder isnt going to drop the F-bomb left & right? That would be just a completely absurd expectation, and that parent is an idiot if he/she thinks otherwise, and I'd go as far as to just assume their kids have sadly been exposed to plenty of stuff kids shouldn't be exposed to. Bars, however, especially if it's more of a bar/restaurant like I posted above, people should have some class around kids. I dont disagree with you that it's maybe not the best environment for kids, but "adults" being adults should be able to manage to speak for 35 minutes without dropping F-bombs next to a table of 5 year olds. It's really not going to kill them, and once that family leaves, uhhh, curse away I guess if that's your thing.