• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

fbrissette

I remember when I was a kid and they sold gas by the imperial gallon. 5 quarts instead of 4. Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The imperial gallon is made of four (40oz) imperial quarts so it's fully logical. What is strange is using US quarts (32OZ) to measure an imperial gallon. Anyhow, this alone is an example as to why the International system is so much better.

Cornhead

I remember when I was a kid and they sold gas by the imperial gallon. 5 quarts instead of 4. Strange.

I remember during the 70's oil embargo, the one that brought us odd/even license plate gas rationing, gas was sold by the litre. The pumps were not designed to go over one dollar per gallon.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

fbrissette

Oh yeah, that is brutal, good point. Whenever I went to Montreal back in the day I made sure to fill up before leaving n.VT.

Current lowest gas price in Vermont - (gasbuddy.com) 1.57$ per US gallons - 0.59 CDN$ per liter.

Current lowest gas price in Quebec - same source 0.69 CDN$ per liter. Only about 15% difference

Not that bad currently because of bad exchange rate and low gas price (quebec taxes are proportional). Difference is more like 30-40% normally. I also always fill up in Vermont prior to driving back to Montreal.

mister moose

The imperial gallon is made of four (40oz) imperial quarts so it's fully logical. What is strange is using US quarts (32OZ) to measure an imperial gallon. Anyhow, this alone is an example as to why the International system is so much better.
Not so strange when you consider the useage of the day. I grew up spending summers on little boats with outboard motors. Once you got away from integral tanks, virtually all of them came with 6 gallon tanks. They were all printed with "Capacity 6 US gallons or 5 Imperial gallons" Pre-1970 gas in Canada was sold in Imperial gallons, and the largest outboard manufacturers all were close to, and had a huge market presence in Canada.

So a US gallon has 16 US quarts, and an imperial gallon would have (6/5)*4 or 4.8 US quarts

The six gallon gas tank made it easy to mix 50:1 gas, 1 pint of oil to 6 gallons gas is 48:1.

(Technically 6.005 US gallons = 5 Imperial)

Smellytele

Not so strange when you consider the useage of the day. I grew up spending summers on little boats with outboard motors. Once you got away from integral tanks, virtually all of them came with 6 gallon tanks. They were all printed with "Capacity 6 US gallons or 5 Imperial gallons" Pre-1970 gas in Canada was sold in Imperial gallons, and the largest outboard manufacturers all were close to, and had a huge market presence in Canada.

So a US gallon has 16 US quarts, and an imperial gallon would have (6/5)*4 or 4.8 US quarts

The six gallon gas tank made it easy to mix 50:1 gas, 1 pint of oil to 6 gallons gas is 48:1.

(Technically 6.005 US gallons = 5 Imperial)

Actually pre 1980 as they changed to liters in 1979.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Wait for what?

Unless Saudi Arabia & Russia come to a new agreement, and soon, there'll be more oil supply than any time in history starting April 1, 2020.

And it's going to coincide with a near-record fall in demand due to COVID19.

So you have massive supply & low demand = falling prices.

Dickc

BenedictGomez

We should be filling the US Strategic Oil Reserve with near record-low oil at a cost of $3B, but we're not for political reasons, so we'll just fill it at a later date $6B to $10B instead. Your government at work.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
BG may be able to answer this better than my 3 economics classes from college but I'd say we're bound for a year of deflation rather than inflation.

Demand is down for pretty much everything, suppliers are going to have to lower their prices to lure people out of their houses. And they can because gas is so cheap the cost of transport is going down rapidly. Less spending and people holding onto their money=less money in the supply chain.

MEtoVTSkier

We should be filling the US Strategic Oil Reserve with near record-low oil at a cost of $3B, but we're not for political reasons, so we'll just fill it at a later date $6B to $10B instead. Your government at work.

Trump announced early last week or the week before that they were going to refill the reserves while the price was down.

thebigo

BG may be able to answer this better than my 3 economics classes from college but I'd say we're bound for a year of deflation rather than inflation.

Demand is down for pretty much everything, suppliers are going to have to lower their prices to lure people out of their houses. And they can because gas is so cheap the cost of transport is going down rapidly. Less spending and people holding onto their money=less money in the supply chain.

The other side of the coin is that many people are working through this. Some of us are sending our spouse off to the hospital every morning, trying to educate our children during the day all while trying to complete our jobs during odd hours around their schedule. Think about all the medical staff, engineers, lawyers, public sector, etc. The pay checks are still coming in but there is nothing to spend it on and nobody is using vacation time. The result is that when this is over, whenever that may be, many people will be stuffed with cash and vacation time all while wanting to get as far away from their house as possible.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The other side of the coin is that many people are working through this. Some of us are sending our spouse off to the hospital every morning, trying to educate our children during the day all while trying to complete our jobs during odd hours around their schedule. Think about all the medical staff, engineers, lawyers, public sector, etc. The pay checks are still coming in but there is nothing to spend it on and nobody is using vacation time. The result is that when this is over, whenever that may be, many people will be stuffed with cash and vacation time all while wanting to get as far away from their house as possible.

That's my thought as well. I don't buy the whole "we're gonna plunge into a recession" bit. When this ends spending is gonna shoot through the roof, the market will be primed for investing, and gas will be at it's lowest price in 15+ years. As long as this stays short-term the economy will stay healthy. Make this a 6 month+ thing and you're in for some trouble.

BenedictGomez

Trump announced early last week or the week before that they were going to refill the reserves while the price was down.

Yes, he did.

Then the Democrats nixed it, saying it would be a "bailout of Big Oil", which makes absolutely no sense on multiple levels. But it doesnt matter, most people who will vote Democrat wont understand that, they just hear that Dem leadership did something against big oil companies (they didnt) and will think it's good. It WILL cost America literally billions of dollars, because the SAR does need to be eventually replenished, but hey, that politics. Or something.