• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

Cobbold

When second guessing Plattekill's business decisions consider the Big 3 and Little 9.

Of the Little 9, only Plattekill remains.

They are doing something right. Something that the "push more volume by discounting tickets" crowd doesn't understand.

Please excuse my ignorance, but who are the big three and little nine?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Apologies for the assumption.

In the middle of the last century there were 12 ski areas in the Catskills. Among NY skiers they were divided into two groups, the Big 3 and the Little 9.

The Big 3 are still going strong, Hunter, Belleayre and Windham.

The Little 9 were the smaller family owned hills, Bobcat and all the rest. Eight of those hills succumbed to warm winters, the cost of snowmaking and well-funded competition from the Big 3.

Rambo

I think I can name some of the Little 9:
Scotch Valley (later renamed Deer Run).
Highmount (next to Belleayre).
Ski Cortina.
Bearpen.
Plattekill.
Bobcat.

ScottySkis

Platty doesn't have to do anything.

My point was that joining a pass deal would increase crowd sizes. Opening more days is just a possible way to counteract that and offer more skiing opportunities.

I don't think Platty is looking to increase crowd sizes so why would they join a pass?

+1000000

Cobbold

Apologies for the assumption.

In the middle of the last century there were 12 ski areas in the Catskills. Among NY skiers they were divided into two groups, the Big 3 and the Little 9.

The Big 3 are still going strong, Hunter, Belleayre and Windham.

The Little 9 were the smaller family owned hills, Bobcat and all the rest. Eight of those hills succumbed to warm winters, the cost of snowmaking and well-funded competition from the Big 3.

Any chance any of the closed areas be reopened, such as bobcat?

Cobbold

Wonder if three to five years down the road, if vail copies what Peak resorts did with crotched ski resort, and tries to restart a closed ski area due to all the crowding at Hunter Mtn, wonder if bobcat is the next crotched ski area?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Scottyskis, cool article, sounds like bobcat was one unique place, hopefully they can come back from the dead.

I don't see Bobcat coming back. It would need snowmaking and a lot of other infrastructure.

The guy on the right in this shot is (technically the son of) the owner of Bobcat, in the Plattekill sidecountry. A great guy and a Plattekill regular.

chris-and-bobcat-ira.jpg

Cobbold

I don't see Bobcat coming back. It would need snowmaking and other infrastructure.

The guy on the right in this shot is (technically the son of) the owner of Bobcat, in the Plattekill sidecountry. A great guy and a Plattekill regular.

chris-and-bobcat-ira.jpg

Does bobcat not have a source of water nearby for snowmaking? How many acres is the old bobcat ski area? if crotched can come back, I would think any resort can come back, if someone wants to invest 10 to 15 million.

cdskier

Does bobcat not have a source of water nearby for snowmaking? How many acres is the old bobcat ski area? if crotched can come back, I would think any resort can come back, if someone wants to invest 10 to 15 million.

Even IF someone had 10-15M to invest, would Bobcat ever get the ROI on that? Crotched is fairly close to some large population centers. Bobcat is further from the NYC metro area and the rest of the Hudson Valley and Capital Region area than any other current Catskill ski area. I don't see it pulling in the volume needed to justify the type of investment it would need.

Fun side fact though...I found out as I was looking at Crotched's history that at one time it was actually called Bobcat!

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks Scotty.

Plattekill season pass could be even more valuable this season.

This will be a fun thread to revisit in season.

You know this is a good point. Since I'm going to buy a K midweek pass I could get a Platty pass for Fri-Sat-Sun.

Not sure I'll do that but it's a rare opportunity to justify a Platty season pass for me.

Loving the Catskills ski area history.

ScottySkis

Is another the old Concord Resort ski area?

I believe so

Platty offer with season pass for 20-21 winter details:

To our Plattekill Skiers and Riders: to help ease stresses regarding next winter and season passes, we are extending “early season” season pass deadlines for lowest rates from April 30 to October 15. We hope this will allow time for everyone to have more clarity on what next season will look like. Plus we’ve also added extra securities too. For full post, https://www.plattekill.com/tickets/#season-pass.
Stay strong, we will be stronger.