• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Avalanche Awareness

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would I have skied it? Who knows.

Should it have been skied? Questionable.

Did 4 kids die doing what they love. Yes

When a decade accident happenes like this it is fine to step back and question, review, think, etc...

I don’t like calling people dumb, saying they were idiots for being there, saying “who would go ski in high avy danger”. We all ski because we love it. No matter what coast we are on or what vacation we are on. Some of the best skiing I have ever done was in red/black avy days. You can ski whenever and wherever and manage conditions and aspects and be safe.

This accident is heavy. Mistakes were made, sure. Can we learn, yes. Wemistakes as obvious as other accidents, no. Was there some odd ball/freak stuff, yes. Worst case type shit? Yes.

TGR discussion is as best as I’ve ever seen on this. Peeps being respectful and trying to learn. So we can ski the best stuff we can and still go home to the wife, kid, beer, friend at days end.
Fair enough and a very level headed view on it

You're closer to the situation and much more experienced with BC than I to have a better understanding how some folks could make such a fatal mistake.

It was the part about the Instagram pictures of avalanches in the area and tagging the Avalanche Center that set me off.

jimmck

It was the part about the Instagram pictures of avalanches in the area and tagging the Avalanche Center that set me off.

I wouldn't get too hot and bothered over posting the pictures to the 'gram and tagging the UAC. I think that by tagging the UAC, it allows for data collection by the UAC to be factored into their modeling for forecasting avalanche conditions.

For a perspective on this, listen to the Blister podcast where Jonathan Ellsworth has a discussion with Zach Guy from the Crested Butte Avalanche Center.

Blister podcast episode 161 - Zach Guy

FBGM

Interesting that the skinner that was set that day was not the 'standard' route for the area as well.
This seems to be one big take away from the incident. Group A set skinner (not in “standard” route). Group B comes later, sees set skinner, follows.

Just because a route is there and easy, does not mean you need to follow.

kingslug

One major thing I learned..you can dig snowpits all day..and 10 feet away it will be different. Heard the wasatch might get feet of snow soon...

thetrailboss

Staff member
One major thing I learned..you can dig snowpits all day..and 10 feet away it will be different. Heard the wasatch might get feet of snow soon...
Yes, we are in a storm cycle. 11" yesterday. Easily another 11" today. Snowbird was epic today. Lines were not too bad either.

We need the water. Big time.

FBGM

Persistent weak layer is scarier than the boogieman
And it is not leaving anytime soon. And spookier now with feet more on top.

I took the day off today (ikon blacked out and just was not up for a tour). Maybe I’ll go tomorrow. See how it is.

FBGM

And Wasatch coming unglued. Sitting in my office just watching IG and Facebook posts of crazy stuff. LCC closed. Alta interlodged. Saw a video of a Superior slide crossing road and all the way down to bypass road. Gonna be digging out for a bit up there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And Wasatch coming unglued. Sitting in my office just watching IG and Facebook posts of crazy stuff. LCC closed. Alta interlodged. Saw a video of a Superior slide crossing road and all the way down to bypass road. Gonna be digging out for a bit up there.
Just in time for Friday's storm.

FBGM

Alta/Bird hit defcon 5.......
They are in hunker down, don’t go outside, stay away from windows mode.

Avy rose black on all aspects and all elevations. Not sure I’ve ever seen that here.

30”+ at my house. It’s fun but getting to the annoying stage. Running out of room.

kingslug

I was either at Alfs or Watsons a few years ago when we got shut in...thunder snow. Came out to another 6 inches in about an hour.
Wish I was there now...or maybe tomorrow

thetrailboss

Staff member
More interesting stats.....

Weather and Snow​

The heavy snowfall continues bringing an additional 8-15 inches (0.45 - 1.13" swe) of new snow overnight to the Upper Cottonwoods. This morning, the snow will continue to be focused around the Cottonwoods and the east benches with heavy snowfall until about 11:00 am. Snow will begin to slow this afternoon and turn more showery. Mountain temperatures are in the single digits °F to the mid-teens °F. Upper elevation winds have decreased and are now blowing west north-west 5-10 mph, gusting into the 20's. Storm totals are impressive:
Upper LCC: 50-80 inches of new snow with 3.0-6.22" water weight.
Upper BCC: 25-40 inches of new snow with 1.50-2.61" water weight.
PC Ridge: 15-30 inches of new snow with 1.0-2.0" water weight.
Ogden area: 20-30 inches of new snow with 2.0-2.5" water weight.
Provo area: 10-17 inches of new snow with 0.70-1.0" water weight.

kingslug

Going to be sporty inbounds once they open...can't bomb everything. I can imagine what the people staying up there are going through. Trapped for days..now listening to a bombing run like a B52 strike. I used to wake up to it..flash..then boom. Loved that sound. Patrol must be scary going out there to do it though.