• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scariest peak

jimk

Fun thread. We need somebody from the Alps to weigh-in. Lots of crazy stuff there. I'm a resort skier so usually skiing on normal/tame terrain for the most part. A couple places that creeped me out a little bit were Highland Bowl (I drop in early, have never hiked all the way) and Delirium Dive. After skiing those and stopping to look back up you do get a feeling that this place could slide/avalanche on you.

This is the view of Delirium Dive from the Goats Eye trail pod at Sunshine. The part that I and most people ski is the white bowl below and just left of the patch of blue sky. My son skied the rockier part directly below the blue sky on one of his laps here.sunshine delirium from goats eye.png
As has been said, the snow in these infrequently skied steeps is usually (at least in midwinter) very good, deep and not moguled. The hardest part for me at Delirium Dive was walking down a short icy set of stairs entering the easiest drop-in point. There was a very icy/rocky ledge at the bottom of the stairs that you had to use to put your skis on. If you lost control of a ski it could fall over the edge on either side and be much trouble to collect.
sunshine delirium entrance.png
This is the view of the Goats Eye terrain from top of Delirium Dive. I was there in 2018 in late March and snow was great.
goats eye from delirium dive.png

If I'm not mistaken, the hike to Delirium starts at the top of the chairlift shown in this view from their mid-mtn lodge (really nice place to stay).
view of sunshine lodge and slopes enhanced.jpg

Bonus shot of scenery at Sunshine:
sunshine vinny.png

Here's a trip report with more info/photos:

Last edited:

FBGM

Superior low tide and viz days can pucker. Remember years back skiing suicide chute off Superior and having to dig me a flat bench to put skis on while a 10’ cornice towered over me.

Sunshine is fun above. Skied all that stuff. I don’t think it was much different then some in bounds stuff at Other resorts.

The stuff the scares me are the no fall zones. Not the steeps or a peak, but the places you ski (or hike/skin) where if you fall, you are not coming back alive or if you are you’re lucky.

jimk

where are those carzy ass steps on that first picture of DD?
They are at the top of the ridge near the highest part, slightly left of patch of blue sky. Cant see them in first photo, too small and far away. I am told that before the stairs, you had to use a rope to let yourself into that entrance, with same tight ledge to get your skis back on.

jimk

Here's yours truly showing some friends a safe entrance to Great Scott at Snowbird last month. You had to ski on the traverse through the trees with a little bit of exposure to left.
I've been skiing Snowbird quite a bit the last six years. The amount and aspect of snow they receive dictates a lot of the difficulty of different runs. In big snow years I've heard locals joke that Jaws should be called Gums as things get much easier.
The other thing is familiarity. Sketchy stuff is always more scary to me if I've never done it before.
great scott entrance.jpeg

kingslug

I've skied the Alps for many years but never got into the crazy stuff..you need a guide for that. I did watch this at Chaminox and at the time..said no way!
At least here you can access crazy stuff on your own with a little fear of dying...the Alps..you better know what you are doing or have a guide. I just watch vids of it like ones of LaGrave to really see what its about..way out of my league..

Tonyr

That is my attempt on Great Scott from the very first entrance earlier this year. Its rocky but I thought some of the lines on the back side of the cirque traverse through the trees were nastier. Love Snowbird!

20210209_133707.jpg
20210209_133742.jpg
The 4th (and hardest) Daly Chute at Deer Valley of all places was quite a bit steeper and narrower than Great Scott.
original_d5082c5d-cad0-45ba-aaf4-c8fcf375297a_20210212_142759.jpgoriginal_1e0b2d9e-65ff-4f60-b16a-6ca04a663cbc_20210212_142908.jpg

machski

Fun thread. We need somebody from the Alps to weigh-in. Lots of crazy stuff there. I'm a resort skier so usually skiing on normal/tame terrain for the most part. A couple places that creeped me out a little bit were Highland Bowl (I drop in early, have never hiked all the way) and Delirium Dive. After skiing those and stopping to look back up you do get a feeling that this place could slide/avalanche on you.

This is the view of Delirium Dive from the Goats Eye trail pod at Sunshine. The part that I and most people ski is the white bowl below and just left of the patch of blue sky. My son skied the rockier part directly below the blue sky on one of his laps here.View attachment 51635
As has been said, the snow in these infrequently skied steeps is usually (at least in midwinter) very good, deep and not moguled. The hardest part for me at Delirium Dive was walking down a short icy set of stairs entering the easiest drop-in point. There was a very icy/rocky ledge at the bottom of the stairs that you had to use to put your skis on. If you lost control of a ski it could fall over the edge on either side and be much trouble to collect.
View attachment 51636
This is the view of the Goats Eye terrain from top of Delirium Dive. I was there in 2018 in late March and snow was great.
View attachment 51637

If I'm not mistaken, the hike to Delirium starts at the top of the chairlift shown in this view from their mid-mtn lodge (really nice place to stay).
View attachment 51639

View attachment 51638

BTW, steepest stuff in Highland Bowl is actually the early lines before you hit the summit. If you have a chance, hike all the way up and stick to boundary skier's right of the bowl. Most just charge down the gut, as such the right edge while not as steep tends to hold untracked snow for quite a while.

Zand

Low visibility at Snowbird can get you into trouble!
One of my rides up Mineral Basin on a real low vis day, someone launched themselves off a curve on Lupine Loop onto a flat area below and was getting their leg splinted by ski patrol.

I guess low vis can get you in trouble at almost any western resort when you get to the tree line. But yeah Snowbird has those narrow snaking catwalks all over the upper mountain and not much marking the edges.

kingslug

Glacier skiing at Kuprun Austria..hey thats a big storm coming..lets get the hell out of here..5 seconds later zero vis. Run into a local..says...you better get down to the exact point for the lift..either side and your going off the mountain...oh great..we followed the little colors ( ski jackets) down..for 1 scary lift ride back down in high wind.
Europe is fun..

2Planker

Did
I've skied the Alps for many years but never got into the crazy stuff..you need a guide for that. I did watch this at Chaminox and at the time..said no way!
At least here you can access crazy stuff on your own with a little fear of dying...the Alps..you better know what you are doing or have a guide. I just watch vids of it like ones of LaGrave to really see what its about..way out of my league..
We did the Aguille du Midi w/ a guide years ago on a 10 day Chamonix trip.
Simply Amazing !!!

kingslug

I was unlucky at Chaminox..very little snow..guides said it wasn't worth it. We have nothing here that beats Europe for sheer scary.

Smellytele

Did

We did the Aguille du Midi w/ a guide years ago on a 10 day Chamonix trip.
Simply Amazing !!!
The traverse out of the snow cave was the scariest part. A cable drooping down by your knee as you walked across the 20” wide 200’ long path was all that stood between you and a straight down 1500’ fall.

kbroderick

One of my rides up Mineral Basin on a real low vis day, someone launched themselves off a curve on Lupine Loop onto a flat area below and was getting their leg splinted by ski patrol.

I guess low vis can get you in trouble at almost any western resort when you get to the tree line. But yeah Snowbird has those narrow snaking catwalks all over the upper mountain and not much marking the edges.
I got out there a while back, staying on a friend's couch but he ended up in Moab that week, so I really had very little to do other than ski. One day the weather was damp at best and the visibility was nearly non-existent; skiing the front side was okay, but going into Mineral Basin turned out not to be such a good idea. I ended up skiing very slowly so I could follow the corduroy and tried not to get vertigo. That was probably the worst visibility I've dealt with, and I've skied in some pretty thick fog.

dblskifanatic

This is the view of Delirium Dive from the Goats Eye trail pod at Sunshine. The part that I and most people ski is the white bowl below and just left of the patch of blue sky. My son skied the rockier part directly below the blue sky on one of his laps here.View attachment 51635
View attachment 51636
View attachment 51637

View attachment 51639

View attachment 51638

Ya I mentioned DD earlier. We were there in 2015 and DD actually had an avalanche with and air rescue and one fatality which sealed my decision not to ski it.