• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain, PA, Sold

PAabe

I thought Barb was remaining the owner when it was announced Camelback people would be the operator earlier this year. It says she is staying on as CEO and part owner but having the Camelback
group as both owner and operator doesn't seem like great news for skiers to me... that group is very Vail-ish and doesn't seem to have it completely together.

Blue always seemed to be one of the better-managed ski areas in the past especially compared to Camelback and Vail.

Anyway, props to Barb for keeping Blue running well independently for so long, and I hope I'm wrong for being skeptical about the new owner

dblskifanatic

I have to hand it to PA ski areas. There is not a huge amount of terrain for ski areas but they do have some decent little ski areas for 800-1000 ft vert,

On another not KSL Resorts is a funny organization. Many sunny destinations and two ski areas now.

ne_skier

I am a bit skeptical of this, given what people have been saying about KSL's management of Camelback. The two de-roping incidents, one from the Sullivan lift and another from a zipline this spring doesn't look very good on their part. The Sullivan incident was almost certainly caused by poor maintenance, or at least it was a factor in the accident. Very contradictory reports in what the wind was like when this happened.

PAabe

And I know that the summit hotel would be good for business but I hope they can do so in a way that is minimally disruptive to the Appalachian trail and vista

jimmywilson69

The AT doesn't really get close enough that a hotel should be anymore annoying than any of the other stuff you see in PA. I mean once you cross little gap going south, you walk through a waste land from the former smelting operation that left so much heavy metal fallout on the ground that no vegetation grows.

x10003q

The AT doesn't really get close enough that a hotel should be anymore annoying than any of the other stuff you see in PA. I mean once you cross little gap going south, you walk through a waste land from the former smelting operation that left so much heavy metal fallout on the ground that no vegetation grows.
I was involved in some preliminary studies of Beltzville Lake having to do with those 2 zinc smelters. The lake was not in good shape, but it was not included in the Super Fund site. Those smelters operated for until 1980 from the early 1900s. That area on Blue Mountain Ridge was and is a mess.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I was involved in some preliminary studies of Beltzville Lake having to do with those 2 zinc smelters. The lake was not in good shape, but it was not included in the Super Fund site. Those smelters operated for until 1980 from the early 1900s. That area on Blue Mountain Ridge was and is a mess.
Drove through Lehigh gap last week and was very surprised at all the vegetation , it’s finally making a comeback. The East side of the gap is as well. The top of the mountain East to Blue is still pretty barren.

I’m amazed at the old zinc co. site work. It looks like they brought it tens of feet of ground and capped the old foot print of the factory.
It would make a nice airstrip.

2Planker

Not to mention that Lead, Cyanide, Mercury and Cadmium all found in the drinking water....

BenedictGomez

Thus another mountain which will be artificially raising their single day lift ticket prices in an effort to "force" people to buy a season pass.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I’m interested in the studies. Also there are two other reservoirs nearby were they involved in the studies as well? Are they public?

x10003q

I’m interested in the studies. Also there are two other reservoirs nearby were they involved in the studies as well? Are they public?
The preliminary results indicated that Beltzville was acidic due to acid rain, not the smelters. It was not in the prevailing winds from the smelters and separated from the smelters by some distance and higher ground. The lake was opened in 1972 and the smelters closed in 1980. I was a student and went out with a few other students in row boats and took water samples at various depths. I do not know if the studies were ever completed or published once the preliminary results were analyzed by our professor. Beltzville is a big time fishing lake/recreation area today. The link is about the superfund site in Palmerton.

BenedictGomez

Acid rain, that's a term I haven't heard commonly used in a while. When I was a school kid circa 10 years old I recall my school made me think I was going to die from it. That and radon. Radon was big back then too.

Dickc

Acid rain, that's a term I haven't heard commonly used in a while. When I was a school kid circa 10 years old I recall my school made me think I was going to die from it. That and radon. Radon was big back then too.
HA! At ten we just finally no longer "ducking and covering" under school desks........

BenedictGomez

HA! At ten we just finally no longer "ducking and covering" under school desks........

My Mom told me one of her earliest memories is having to turn the lights off every night in NYC during WWII (or perhaps the neighborhood power was cut each night, I cant recall). As a WWII buff, this still strikes me as odd because Germany had neither long-range bombers, nor aircraft carriers. Perhaps every generation of kids needs to be irrationally terrorized by something.

2Planker

My Mom told me one of her earliest memories is having to turn the lights off every night in NYC during WWII (or perhaps the neighborhood power was cut each night, I cant recall). As a WWII buff, this still strikes me as odd because Germany had neither long-range bombers, nor aircraft carriers. Perhaps every generation of kids needs to be irrationally terrorized by something.
My mom grew up in the UK and was part of the Home Guard.
They manned an AntiAircraft Gun on top of the tallest building in town, which was the bank at 5 stories.
The German's bombed 2-3 night's/week.