• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY/FL Woman Missing On Crosscountry Roadtrip

thetrailboss

Staff member
This has been dominating our news out here for the last few days and has gone national.

The woman from North Port, FL, but originally from New York state, was on a road trip with her boyfriend/fiance in her white Ford van. They lived together in Florida. She was last seen at the end of August in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. He returned home alone in her van on September 1st and immediately retained counsel and has been silent.

Apparently, they had an altercation that triggered police intervention in Moab earlier in August and was caught on body cam that was just released.

This does not sound good at all. Hopefully she is OK and just taking some time off, but it does not feel like that.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Was just reading about this, lots of speculation going around as per usual with these kind of situations. Hope the girl is okay but unless its a publicity stunt for their Instagram I don’t see this having a happy ending. Also the boyfriend just showing up without her in Florida lawyered up doesn’t seem good either. This could be bs but I also saw that on the day they had an altercation at a bar in Utah was the day those two girls who were murdered in Moab were at the same bar and then they reported a strange man roaming around their campsite.

ScottySkis

She originally from long Island
My friends on social media are friends with her family.
Horrible situation for sure

ScottySkis

""From local town in long Island where she from local police Facebook page comment s
""If you look at the vehicle very closely to the picture seen she had posted in Instagram there are scratches in the bumper, dent marks on the front and if you look at the Ford symbol it’s moved over and upside down. The other picture was completely spotless and the Ford symbol was in place. "

ScottySkis

FATHER’S WRATH: Gabby Petito’s dad unleashes on her fiancé, says he's 'in La-Z-Boy' and getting served ‘home-cooked meals’ instead of helping cops with search. Watch full interview here: https://fxn.ws/39bhSlo

ScottySkis

From local town in long Island where she from local police Facebook page comment s
""If you look at the vehicle very closely to the picture seen she had posted in Instagram there are scratches in the bumper, dent marks on the front and if you look at the Ford symbol it’s moved over and upside down. The other picture was completely spotless and the Ford symbol was in place. "

ScottySkis

Police town in Florida that invaaring. This tragic Facebook page from Florida with updates to press can be seen on this Facebook police page

ScottySkis

Okay I went down the rabbit hole on the missing 22 year old woman, Gabby Petito. You probably have seen the headlines but here is an over view because this is a fucked up situation.

Gabby and her boyfriend (former fiance, they had been engaged in July 2020 but her friends report they had decided to back away from the engagement and go back to bf/gf some months ago) Brian Laundrie, started a YouTube channel and went on an extended adventure visiting all of the National Parks in the USA. You can see the one and only video she posted on their YouTube here:

You can also view her Instagram here:

And his Instagram here:

Now it seems as though Gabby’s friends do not believe the most recent posts were made by her. Some believe everything from around July 28 forward was him but some say only the most recent post was him. This is all speculation.

So what happened was, she was in constant contact with her family daily until August 25. Literally called someone daily to tell them where she was and what she was experiencing on her travels. After the 25th the calls stopped. Eventually her family became concerned and contacted Brian Laundrie’s family, who refused to take their calls.

A few days after Gabby and the travel van, which belonged to her, were reported missing, Brian Laundrie was pulled over by Florida police driving it. No Gabby. He won’t talk and asked for a lawyer.

As of today his lawyer has put out a statement basically saying they hope Gabby is found but they won’t be commenting further on it and he wants to stay in the background during the investigation and search. Now the obvious question is, how do you stay in the background when you were the only person with her and the last person to see her and you drove her van back to Florida without her in it?

Now this is where it gets even weirder. Utah police reported today that on August 12, police were called to Gabby and Brian’s location over a domestic dispute, but it was someone else who called (not Gabby or Brian). Ultimately the charge was dismissed.
August 13, they were seen at a bar called Woody’s.
ALSO ON AUGUST 13, ALSO AT THE SAME EXACT BAR WOODY’S, the other mystery you’ve seen in the headlines occurred: Kylen Schulte and Krystal Beck were at the same bar, and were later murdered at their campsite nearby. Before being killed they had mentioned to someone in their family via text or phone call that a creepy man was intimidating them and stalking them at the campground.
Read about that double murder here:

It’s also interesting to note that the last time Brian Laundrie posted on his Instagram was the same day they died, August 13.

So yeah that’s basically it. I’m thinking either he murdered her, or she died by accident and he freaked out and ran and won’t talk. And either way his family is obviously protecting him. The third theory would be that this is some sort of publicity stunt to gain followers on their YouTube channel but just from looking at their content that doesn’t strike me as something Gabby would do and her family also says no.

So did the mf kill her, kill the other two women in the woods and then drive the van home
to mommy and daddy? Or wtf? Time will tell.

Update: read through the comments here for all updates and new information.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was just reading about this, lots of speculation going around as per usual with these kind of situations. Hope the girl is okay but unless its a publicity stunt for their Instagram I don’t see this having a happy ending. Also the boyfriend just showing up without her in Florida lawyered up doesn’t seem good either. This could be bs but I also saw that on the day they had an altercation at a bar in Utah was the day those two girls who were murdered in Moab were at the same bar and then they reported a strange man roaming around their campsite.
That seems really, really weird as to saying that he is a person of interest in the death of those two ladies. From what I saw on the video I doubt that he would be a likely suspect, but who knows. I don't know if he was armed. Those women were shot to death. I've got a feeling that the ultimate culprit murdered them because they wree a lesbian couple.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Okay I went down the rabbit hole on the missing 22 year old woman, Gabby Petito. You probably have seen the headlines but here is an over view because this is a fucked up situation.

Gabby and her boyfriend (former fiance, they had been engaged in July 2020 but her friends report they had decided to back away from the engagement and go back to bf/gf some months ago) Brian Laundrie, started a YouTube channel and went on an extended adventure visiting all of the National Parks in the USA. You can see the one and only video she posted on their YouTube here:

You can also view her Instagram here:

And his Instagram here:

Now it seems as though Gabby’s friends do not believe the most recent posts were made by her. Some believe everything from around July 28 forward was him but some say only the most recent post was him. This is all speculation.

So what happened was, she was in constant contact with her family daily until August 25. Literally called someone daily to tell them where she was and what she was experiencing on her travels. After the 25th the calls stopped. Eventually her family became concerned and contacted Brian Laundrie’s family, who refused to take their calls.

A few days after Gabby and the travel van, which belonged to her, were reported missing, Brian Laundrie was pulled over by Florida police driving it. No Gabby. He won’t talk and asked for a lawyer.

As of today his lawyer has put out a statement basically saying they hope Gabby is found but they won’t be commenting further on it and he wants to stay in the background during the investigation and search. Now the obvious question is, how do you stay in the background when you were the only person with her and the last person to see her and you drove her van back to Florida without her in it?

Now this is where it gets even weirder. Utah police reported today that on August 12, police were called to Gabby and Brian’s location over a domestic dispute, but it was someone else who called (not Gabby or Brian). Ultimately the charge was dismissed.
August 13, they were seen at a bar called Woody’s.
ALSO ON AUGUST 13, ALSO AT THE SAME EXACT BAR WOODY’S, the other mystery you’ve seen in the headlines occurred: Kylen Schulte and Krystal Beck were at the same bar, and were later murdered at their campsite nearby. Before being killed they had mentioned to someone in their family via text or phone call that a creepy man was intimidating them and stalking them at the campground.
Read about that double murder here:

It’s also interesting to note that the last time Brian Laundrie posted on his Instagram was the same day they died, August 13.

So yeah that’s basically it. I’m thinking either he murdered her, or she died by accident and he freaked out and ran and won’t talk. And either way his family is obviously protecting him. The third theory would be that this is some sort of publicity stunt to gain followers on their YouTube channel but just from looking at their content that doesn’t strike me as something Gabby would do and her family also says no.

So did the mf kill her, kill the other two women in the woods and then drive the van home
to mommy and daddy? Or wtf? Time will tell.

Update: read through the comments here for all updates and new information.
Ohhhh....I did not see that Gabby and Brian were in the Bar the same night when the two women were there. Do we know if that van was seen up on LaSal Loop Road? I think it seems less likely that he is the culprit for the double-murder if she was with him. But who knows--maybe they got into another fight and he walked off and got into an altercation with that couple.

And the fact that he lawyered up and is not talking tells me that at the very least he drove off without her and at the other end of the spectrum was that he lost his shit and killed her. It seems more like it is on the abandon her end of the spectrum. That said, at the press conference today, did anyone else hear a reporter ask police if Brian had her cell phone in his possession?

ScottySkis

"""

NORTH PORT

‘Circumstances are odd’ police say, after boyfriend of missing woman returns home, hires attorney​

Published:September 13, 2021 2:47 PM EDT
Updated:September 16, 2021 10:35 AM EDT
YouTuber and blogger, Gabby Petito, 22, from North Port has been missing for more than two weeks, and now, her boyfriend has returned home without her and hired lawyers, the U.S. Sun reports.
The North Port Police Department said they “are actively assisting in this case in conjunction with the Suffolk County Police Department where she was reported missing.
“We currently have no definitive information that a crime took place here in North Port or anywhere. With that said, the circumstances are odd. So, we are actively gathering local details and evidence to assist in finding needed answers
.”
IMG_4972-e1631558462146-181x300.jpg

The Suffolk County Police Department, where her family lives in New York, confirmed they are investigating the disappearance of Petito, who went missing while traveling.
Petito lived in North Port for about two-and-a-half years, until her road trip, the police department told WINK News.
Her YouTube channel is called ‘Nomadic Statik.’ where she documents her cross-country trip travels.
According to her family, they last heard from her during the last week of August. Prior to that, Petito is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming heading to Yellowstone National Park.
Throughout her travel, she spoke with her mother a few times a week, sometimes daily, depending on the cell service.
Petito’s mom texted her a few times after the 25th and the last text from Petito’s phone came on Aug. 30.
“We love her and we miss her, and we want her to come home,” said Nicole Schmidt, Gabby’s mother. “I believe the first couple of days, when I wasn’t getting responses, I believe she was in a place with no service. It was like day eight or nine that I really became concerned. I figured she couldn’t be off the grid for that long.”
The family had not heard from her, so the family first alerted the National Park Service on Sept. 10.
“We are coordinating with multiple law enforcement agencies as part of the investigation into Gabrielle Petito’s whereabouts,” National Park Service shared in a statement Monday. “As the investigation is ongoing, we do not have any further information to provide at this time.”
Petito was then reported missing to the Suffolk County Police by her family on September 11 at 6:55 p.m.
Petito and her boyfriend were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03.
The van she was traveling in was found in North Port.
We asked Gabby’s parents about her boyfriend and they both said no comment.
Petito, is described as being 5′ 5″ tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.”
Detectives are asking anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Suffolk County Police Department Crime Stoppers 1-800-220-TIPS or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit your tip""'" to: tips.fbi.gov.
IMG_4977-1.jpg
Gabby Petito, 22.

Reporter:Erika Jackson
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
wbug_70x55.png

PREVIOUS ARTICLEHealth aide accused of stealing $45,000 in jewelry, pawning it
NEXT ARTICLELee County Schools plans to add opt-out back to mask mandate

WINK News, Southwest Florida's News Leader​

- Advertisement -

thetrailboss

Staff member
"""

NORTH PORT

‘Circumstances are odd’ police say, after boyfriend of missing woman returns home, hires attorney​

Published:September 13, 2021 2:47 PM EDT
Updated:September 16, 2021 10:35 AM EDT
YouTuber and blogger, Gabby Petito, 22, from North Port has been missing for more than two weeks, and now, her boyfriend has returned home without her and hired lawyers, the U.S. Sun reports.
The North Port Police Department said they “are actively assisting in this case in conjunction with the Suffolk County Police Department where she was reported missing.
“We currently have no definitive information that a crime took place here in North Port or anywhere. With that said, the circumstances are odd. So, we are actively gathering local details and evidence to assist in finding needed answers
.”
IMG_4972-e1631558462146-181x300.jpg

The Suffolk County Police Department, where her family lives in New York, confirmed they are investigating the disappearance of Petito, who went missing while traveling.
Petito lived in North Port for about two-and-a-half years, until her road trip, the police department told WINK News.
Her YouTube channel is called ‘Nomadic Statik.’ where she documents her cross-country trip travels.
According to her family, they last heard from her during the last week of August. Prior to that, Petito is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming heading to Yellowstone National Park.
Throughout her travel, she spoke with her mother a few times a week, sometimes daily, depending on the cell service.
Petito’s mom texted her a few times after the 25th and the last text from Petito’s phone came on Aug. 30.
“We love her and we miss her, and we want her to come home,” said Nicole Schmidt, Gabby’s mother. “I believe the first couple of days, when I wasn’t getting responses, I believe she was in a place with no service. It was like day eight or nine that I really became concerned. I figured she couldn’t be off the grid for that long.”
The family had not heard from her, so the family first alerted the National Park Service on Sept. 10.
“We are coordinating with multiple law enforcement agencies as part of the investigation into Gabrielle Petito’s whereabouts,” National Park Service shared in a statement Monday. “As the investigation is ongoing, we do not have any further information to provide at this time.”
Petito was then reported missing to the Suffolk County Police by her family on September 11 at 6:55 p.m.
Petito and her boyfriend were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03.
The van she was traveling in was found in North Port.
We asked Gabby’s parents about her boyfriend and they both said no comment.
Petito, is described as being 5′ 5″ tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.”
Detectives are asking anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Suffolk County Police Department Crime Stoppers 1-800-220-TIPS or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit your tip""'" to: tips.fbi.gov.
IMG_4977-1.jpg
Gabby Petito, 22.

Reporter:Erika Jackson
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.
wbug_70x55.png

PREVIOUS ARTICLEHealth aide accused of stealing $45,000 in jewelry, pawning it
NEXT ARTICLELee County Schools plans to add opt-out back to mask mandate

WINK News, Southwest Florida's News Leader​

- Advertisement -

I thought that the BF was pulled over alone in the van in Florida?

And I heard today that the Laundrie family had recently turned over the van to Gabby's family.

ScottySkis

The Trail Boss I started simier thread yesterday on NY Harvey ski forum with lots Moore details u might want to look I have several friends on Facebook who knows her family. She graduated from HS 1 town over from my HS in long Island but 2 decade apart.😠😭😣😠

""""
The North Port Police Department is actively assisting in this case in conjunction with the Suffolk County Police Department where she was reported missing.

"The Suffolk County Police Department is investigating the disappearance of a Blue Point woman who went missing while traveling.
Gabrielle Petito was reported missing to the Suffolk County Police Department by her family on September 11 at approximately 6:55 p.m. According to family, they were last in contact with her during the last week of August. Prior to the last communication, Petito is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
Petito and a companion were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03. The van she was traveling in has been recovered.
Petito, 22, is white, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.”
Detectives are asking anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls can remain anonymous."

We currently have no definitive information that a crime took place here in North Port. With that said, the circumstances are odd. The vehicle she was traveling in was located here in North Port. So, we are actively gathering local details and any evidence to assist in finding needed answers.

In addition The FBI Tampa Field Office is assisting with this investigation. You can also call 1-800 CALL FBI or submit your tip to: tips.fbi.gov.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Trail Boss I started simier thread yesterday on NY Harvey ski forum with lots Moore details u might want to look I have several friends on Facebook who knows her family. She graduated from HS 1 town over from my HS in long Island but 2 decade apart.😠😭😣😠

""""
The North Port Police Department is actively assisting in this case in conjunction with the Suffolk County Police Department where she was reported missing.

"The Suffolk County Police Department is investigating the disappearance of a Blue Point woman who went missing while traveling.
Gabrielle Petito was reported missing to the Suffolk County Police Department by her family on September 11 at approximately 6:55 p.m. According to family, they were last in contact with her during the last week of August. Prior to the last communication, Petito is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
Petito and a companion were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with Florida license plate QFTG03. The van she was traveling in has been recovered.
Petito, 22, is white, approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall and 110 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes, and several tattoos, including one on her finger and one on her forearm that reads “let it be.”
Detectives are asking anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls can remain anonymous."

We currently have no definitive information that a crime took place here in North Port. With that said, the circumstances are odd. The vehicle she was traveling in was located here in North Port. So, we are actively gathering local details and any evidence to assist in finding needed answers.

In addition The FBI Tampa Field Office is assisting with this investigation. You can also call 1-800 CALL FBI or submit your tip to: tips.fbi.gov.
Yeah you're right. This is pretty weird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
“Let’s just be clear. He looks guilty as hell,” said former Salt Lake Co. Sheriff and Moab Police Chief Jim Winder.

[....]

“This situation where Mr. Laundrie is essentially clammed up poses a problem of significance for law enforcement. If he continues to take the path that he does, they are going to be in a real tough position,” said Winder.

ScottySkis

Gabby Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, speaks on the ongoing search for her missing daughter.

"I don't understand why you would leave the love of your life somewhere and not tell anyone where she is." nws.mx/tv