• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA - How to cancel your EPIC Pass auto renewal

kendo

If you selected auto-renew on your Epic Pass and you want to opt out for 22/23, you have to call or email to cancel. There's no easy option to cancel within your Epic account. Document your communications with Epic as there will likely be snafu's, and not in your favor.

Update 3/21/22: Deadline to Opt Out for 22/23 passes is May 15, 2022.

Info here:

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
A multi billion dollar company can't figure out how to automate subscription cancellation on their website?

These people truly are morons

jimmywilson69

I doubt they have a problem figuring out how to automate it, they just want to make it more difficult to do.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I say morons, I mainly mean that these missing features are something that most people come to expect from a professional company that cares about their customers. They're just going to piss people off.

I actually logged in to double check my own status with them. No renewal, but they do still maintain a credit card of mine on file. I emailed them to remove that information as this was also something you cannot do on your own.

drjeff

There are folks in this day and age who can go an entire year without getting a credit card fraud hack requiring a new card number being issued? 😉😂

Pretty sure each of the last few seasons myself and my family have had Epic passes that we keep getting emails from Vail Resorts notifying us that they need an updated Credit Card number for new the subsequent years Epic passes.

Six Flags is the worst I have dealt with. You had to give them more than 1 billing cycles notice that you didn't want to renew your seasons pass, which is basically 2 months notice (stuff in the fine print I will totally admit I never read). I went to cancel this past January. Had a credit on my account of a few hundred dollars from the Covid season we couldn't use. Was told about the more than a month cancellation policy when I went to cancel, meaning that my card would be charged for 2 more months of fees before it would cancel my account. Credit Card on file with Six Flags got fraud hacked back in January. Six Flags basically was emailing and calling me once a week or more for an updated credit card number. Told customer service the situation and that they could just keep the credit on my account. Finally after 6 months of emails and voice-mails from them, my account was canceled.

While sometimes credit card fraud hacks can be a nuisance, this was one time it was actually a blessing in disguise! Amazing how companies will activate something for you milliseconds after they get your credit card info, but canceling is almost impossible with some companies!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
When I say morons, I mainly mean that these missing features are something that most people come to expect from a professional company that cares about their customers. They're just going to piss people off.

I actually logged in to double check my own status with them. No renewal, but they do still maintain a credit card of mine on file. I emailed them to remove that information as this was also something you cannot do on your own.
Tell your credit card co . “ I suspect fraud” they’ll charge your numbers.

Quietman

I just checked and couldn't find where I could the renewal status. Can you please advise on where to look?

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are certain places I don't mind having a CC# on file. Amazon, PayPal, Venmo, Lyft would be some of them. Because I use them all frequently.

Given that I'm in no hurry to spend money with Vail again anytime soon, I just assume the card is removed from their records as I have been hacked before and it was a nuisance.

slatham

kendo

I just checked and couldn't find where I could the renewal status. Can you please advise on where to look?

Sign in. Click My Epic Account (top right) after you sign in and click on the Order History tab. Then click on the most recent Order Date in the list.

Auto Renew is noted in the order summary.

EpassOrderHist.JPG

raisingarizona

A multi billion dollar company can't figure out how to automate subscription cancellation on their website?

These people truly are morons
Why would they make that option readily available? It’s like trying to cancel your Facebook account.

We are epic. We are Facebook. We are Neagon.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Ehhh I disagree. Many companies have made it difficult to unsubscribe and people seem to accept it. Xfinity, XM radio, etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ehhh I disagree. Many companies have made it difficult to unsubscribe and people seem to accept it. Xfinity, XM radio, etc.

Sure. People accept it. Some don't care. Plenty do. It's a crappy and deceptive business practice though.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sure. People accept it. Some don't care. Plenty do. It's a crappy and deceptive business practice though.

I agree. I wonder if there's legislation on the table to require an easy out (ex- must be required option on website and have a mail-in option). I bet something like that becomes law in the next decade or so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree. I wonder if there's legislation on the table to require an easy out (ex- must be required option on website and have a mail-in option). I bet something like that becomes law in the next decade or so.

Probably. Kind of like how companies were forced to make unsubscribing from spam marketing emails easier.

Dickc

This is something Fail, Inc changed recently. When i got the reminder to set my winter preferences for Epic Coverage, there was still a check box for the auto renew. I made sure mine was not checked. Now its no longer available. I have a feeling that Bloomfield realized they needed to make auto renew hard to disable because of the disaster that is occurring at their resorts.

jaytrem

I don't understand why anybody would have auto-renew turned on in the first place. I'm pretty sure they don't give you anything extra for it.