• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Drought?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Am I nuts to think we should just not have lawns anymore? That we should find a non-water demanding alternative?
I moved some Zoysia grass sod from my Uncles place some years ago and it looks fantastic during this drought. I’ve been moving some some around the yard and it’s obvious where it is. Weird light green color but thriving and choking out all the weeds, the rest of the yard is horrendous.
I’m buying a plug tool to move more in spring. Some people don’t like that it turns brown over winter but I welcome it as a nice change.
I have a relatively rocky yard but you wouldn’t know it walking on the Zoysia grass, it feels very carpet like. I’m not sure how far North it grows though.

crank

^^^ Yeah, I have a good sized patch of that in my yard and it does grow thick, not allowing weeds and crabgrass in and is does stay green without tons of watering. I really like the stuff. Lawn mower struggles just a bit on it but works fine if I walk slower.

chuckstah

Southern NH has been in extreme drought conditions all summer. Today, I start building an ark. Should be fine for ski season.

KustyTheKlown

it didnt start here til middle of the night, the storm was north/west of the city, but its raining nice and steady now

Hawk

In the Mad River Valley the river is just a trickle. Not enough flow to fill the snowmaking pond. The storm yesterday and today only put down about 1/2" I would say. If it does not start raining soon, we may have a delay in opening. The start of snowmaking season is just 8 week away.

ctdubl07

As a counter, I view Zoysia as your typical invasive as it knows no boundaries and is a choker. Lots of folks used to plant it on the CT shoreline due to its hardiness with seaspray. Its kinda our version of bermuda grass.
An old school guy across the street from me brought a bunch of plugs years ago and re planted his front yard. It quickly hopped yards and took its toll on neighbors who didnt want it. Ive had a patch smack in the middle of my front yard which looks like sh*t and i battled removing for about 3 years after its started its creep.

Dickc

Well, near the coast here in Essex County Massachusetts, we've only had a total of 0.84 inches sinse this started yesterdsay. For some reason, the NNE wind is undercutting the precipitation. A few miles west, its a couple of inches. SIGH.

2Planker

I see much of the Northeast is in a pretty nasty drought. I see rain Monday/Tuesday for you guys then bone dry after that. I remember some pretty dry summers but the rain would always come again in September/October before ski season. Hopefully this dry spell does not go too far into the fall.

Any talk of snowmaking ponds drying up? Or rivers below the necessary flow rate to draw from?

Out here we've actually had some pretty good drought improvement, mostly in AZ and New Mexico but there's been marginal improvement in Utah. Lake Mead has actually seen a pretty dramatic rise in its water level https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/why-lake-mead-continues-to-rise-while-lake-powell-falls/
Ask and you shall receive

11" of rain in RI since yesterday

OIP.0NRzaloJGqOOogsvbrYS2AHaHU

Hundreds stranded on 95....

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
As a counter, I view Zoysia as your typical invasive as it knows no boundaries and is a choker. Lots of folks used to plant it on the CT shoreline due to its hardiness with seaspray. Its kinda our version of bermuda grass.
An old school guy across the street from me brought a bunch of plugs years ago and re planted his front yard. It quickly hopped yards and took its toll on neighbors who didnt want it. Ive had a patch smack in the middle of my front yard which looks like sh*t and i battled removing for about 3 years after its started its creep.
Yes definitely not something that I would plant if I had adjacent neighbors. I have a patch of Organic Blueberries at the bottom of my yard so I don’t treat my lawn.

2Planker

Yes definitely not something that I would plant if I had adjacent neighbors. I have a patch of Organic Blueberries at the bottom of my yard so I don’t treat my lawn.
My dogs eat all our blueberries.
They've all learned it from the older ones

drjeff

Ask and you shall receive

11" of rain in RI since yesterday

OIP.0NRzaloJGqOOogsvbrYS2AHaHU

Hundreds stranded on 95....
That heavy band that caused that flooding in RI, passed just South of my house in CT (The town just South of mine had an official report of 7.14" earlier today (and it's still raining here) and the not completely meteorological grade accurate rain guage in my backyard by my wife's garden is at just over 5" now. And that's on top of the almost 8" we got via 2 rain events about 2 weeks ago.

Drought can be taken out of verbal circulation in NE CT after the last few weeks.

2Planker

We're just over the border from you.
Putnam had 6-7" while the town next door Gloucester RI has 12"+ so far

abc

Made the mistake of not checking the weather forecast for our traveling days. :(

So though our camping trip in the north went off with mostly dry weather, we drove right into the heavy downpour on our way home! Total misery on the road. Can’t where the road ends and the shoulder starts. If it weren’t for the rumble strips, we’d probably be on a ditch somewhere. (Lots of cars in the ditch along the way).