• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Absolute beginner

Kingslug20

I spent some time in the beginning at Vernon Valley...and fell so much on the ice I wanted to give up...then we went to Belleayre...ahhh...snow....
Then I was hooked......then started going to Hunter...then I was really hooked.

nycskier

There are some great places for beginners to learn in CT. You don't need to travel far. Just do day trips to start. Mount Southington is a great place for beginners to learn. It's 25 minutes from Hartford and have $45 beginner area lift tickets and $40 weekday specials before 3pm. If you commit to learning this winter do a season rental before hand and go to the local smaller mountains like Southington and Mohawk Mountain which is about an hour from Hartford.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I spent some time in the beginning at Vernon Valley...and fell so much on the ice I wanted to give up...then we went to Belleayre...ahhh...snow....
Then I was hooked......then started going to Hunter...then I was really hooked.
All of the northeast has ice problems. The real issue is: Does management do anything about it? That's a management decision (which varies from season-to-season) that determines the amount of snowmaking and grooming.

BodeMiller1

Isn't SunDown where The Disembowler skis?

I think The Dis said "Sundown is an Institution". Or, rather he shouted it.

If you go to New Hampshire most ski areas will give you a free ticket, free lesson and those kinds of things...
Call ahead on this one.

Good Luck. One in of every 985 ski days results in serious injury. So there's that...

🦉

BodeMiller1

Exactly !!! Bretton Woods is cool. The OP didn’t mention $ savings nor travel time.
If you want the coolest 1st time skiing, the nicest fellow clientele, the greatest views & wonderful service make the trip ! For a newbie, it will change your life.
There is reasonable lodging around and nothing scary, just nice & clean. The drive in thru the Notch will excite everyone. Can you say Mt Washington views shining from the top lodges blow my mind everytime I go there !
Ps. I love the place. Been skiing hard since 1967 & still Rip…and I go there a lot. But don’t tell anybody, that the “Pancake” deliverers time & time again. Great beginer programs too !
I’ve Skied all over, for many years, if you hit BW’s slopes midweek you will fall in love with the sport. It’s that good of a show for Nor’ East.
If dimes are not a thing, Mt Washington Hotel never fails !
Winter camping too, if you really dig the outdoors…I done it All over there and always, always A Great time, Solo or not … it’s a class A - Act.
Bretton Woods Ski Area circa 1993 - "Experts can have fun by going fast". This isn't true in any way, unless you like plowing into a group of Youts at 45 M.P.H.🐢

Granite1 is right get in the car and go where it's free and Bretton Woods is a learners paradise.(y)

Pro Tip of the Day: Drive up there before the snow flys and hike around to get the lay of the land. The Mountain has neat hiking trails below the lodge with explanations of what they're up to as far as running the mountain.

Wear your ski boot when you're watching T.V. Get them broken in test socks, etc.

Learn to tune your skis,

Welcome to The Great State of New Hampshire.

Follow the leader run and turn into butter. NO!