• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged gets a new GM

thebigo

Just because a business is selling doesn’t mean it isn’t successful. Also it seems that this might be the best time to put it on the market as the wedding season winds down. Thirdly since they are only business ”partners” I fail to see the significance to the ski area itself.
Well aware that successful businesses sell assets for reasons other than distress. Unless I am mistaken, they own the Inn. Timing is suspicious given they are trying to acquire Jay and we are in a real estate downturn. Can fully understand however wanting to focus on your core product and not deal with additional staffing/management issues.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Well aware that successful businesses sell assets for reasons other than distress. Unless I am mistaken, they own the Inn. Timing is suspicious given they are trying to acquire Jay and we are in a real estate downturn. Can fully understand however wanting to focus on your core product and not deal with additional staffing/management issues.
Could they be trying to raise capital?

thebigo

Could they be trying to raise capital?
Doubt any capital they could raise through the sale of the inn would have any significant impact on the Jay acquisition. Barnes has been around for over a year now, possible he just wants to focus on the core product.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Doubt any capital they could raise through the sale of the inn would have any significant impact on the Jay acquisition. Barnes has been around for over a year now, possible he just wants to focus on the core product.
That makes sense.

Newpylong

A few details of some off-season work at Ragged.

They are doing some snowmaking reconfiguration. The Cardigan water line is undersized so they have to basically run every other hydrant/gun then swap to the other and run more. They are chopping and deadheading the Cardigan down water line where Home Run cuts over to the top of Barnyard. This will reduce the number of hydrants on the line above there by approximately 20 and allow them to run gear up higher. The Barnyard water line is being extended from where it deadheads now (top of the triple on the left) up Home Run and will then tie back into the severed line for Lower Cardigan. Since Home Run already has an air line on it they will add some hydrants to this new pipe too, which will make it easier to get that little cut through covered. All in all it should cut some hours off getting Cardigan open. Nothing glamorous but helps fix one of their pain points on a tight budget.

Replacing the air line under the road by the carpet that they've had to repair a bunch of times.

The TA fans on Main Street are getting automated because the current manual software is unsupported. So they'll get upgraded firmware and hydrant actuators. They'll integrate with the existing automation because it's York legacy (now owned by TA).

Barnyard triple got a coat of paint.

Last edited:

Newpylong

Well they blew opening on Friday, now expected to be next weekend. I'm not sure who decided to try to cover Village Green for day 1 but they need a bop on the head. They got away with it last year but they moved off of this route for day 1 to Wild Side for a reason.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Well they blew opening on Friday, now expected to be next weekend. I'm not sure who decided to try to cover Village Green for day 1 but they need a bop on the head. They got away with it last year but they moved off of this route for day 1 to Wild Side for a reason.
Probably wanted to have something for beginners. Not that Wildside is difficult just too narrow for beginners and people bombing on by.

And really the weather leading up is to blame IMHO not management.

Newpylong

Weather hasnt helped but you've got a GM in his first full year (who was largely disinterested in his first season) and an Operations Manager in their first year.

They must have a reason but Wild Side is as wide as the Chutes and the same pitch. But it isn't 200+ feet wide and full of massive waterbars like Village Green. It also has nearly brand new HKDs at very tight intervals. It may not be an ideal Day 1 trail but it would be open Friday no problem. Every year that they went there first they made their target of the first weekend in December.

Sunapee opened on 11/23, the hours have been there. I watched them make snow for 3 days on Village Green and barely made a dent. Everything above there is buried.

Just hoping they learned from this as not much they can do now as they're committed. I do know the Ops Manager and he's a good guy, big shoes to fill after Wickstrom left.

Last edited:

thebigo

Could not believe how massive that water bar across VG is when I was there this summer.

I am just disappointed for the program kids, been looking forward to seeing their winter friends for months. Telling my girls opening day was delayed was like telling them Christmas was delayed.

thebigo

Late start, ended up on second chair.

Impeccable surface, today is my 16th day and this is the best surface i have skied all year. I do not know how they do it but nobody lays down a surface like these guys. Limited terrain, tomorrow is going to busy with the seasonal programs starting. Guns going on newfound and upper ridge, both are close. Barnyard also looks close.

20221209_092621.jpg20221209_092436.jpg20221209_092238.jpg

Newpylong

I watched them tag team with 3 cats yesterday on the web cam. I'm with you the grooming is bar none. You would never have expected a decent surface after the rain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is there grooming team long tenured?

I had a pass there in 09 and 10. I've skied there only about a ten times since, but they had a really great surface back then too even though their snowmaking was pretty weak. I chalked it up to low traffic. Even though the pass was $199 then $299 back then and everyone else hadn't hopped on the cheap pass train, the place was dead. You could show up at 9:30 on a Saturday (unless there was a race) and get a parking spot in the closest lot to the lodge.

Great to hear that they still excel there even with probably triple the skier visits of 09.

thebigo

It broke around 10:30, started loading around 12:30. Approximate times, bunch going on with first day of programs.

Surface was in good shape, and great to see all the race families after 8 months away. My kids did programs at crotched and attitash before switching to ragged last year, the peaks/vail programs were sufficient but nothing matches the camaraderie, quality and culture of the ragged crew.

Last edited:

thebigo

It is obvious there is a new sheriff in town. Not that it was a dust and run operation last year but the depth of the snowmaking is intense. Didnt get a picture but the volume of snow blown on barnyard is bordering on the absurd. Have to assume they are going to build the park early rather than circling back around after spear. Hoping they move onto yankee soon.

20221213_112831.jpg20221213_112626.jpg

Edit - this should help

Screenshot_20221213-171851_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: