• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

jimmywilson69

You guys don't know piss hot rain until you've experienced mid-Atlantic piss hot rain:p

from 12/31/21 southern PA:
1640978724_otqhzjdzosds.jpg
Thats my home hill☹☹

Closed until they can make more snow. It's been spring since they managed to get open on 2 nights of snowmaking

I didn't ski that day as I was traveling from Atlanta. Clearly didn't miss much

KustyTheKlown

im so fucking annoyed with this shit. i am planning on sunday river > sugarloaf x2 > saddleback > loon on the way home from 12/27-31 but wondering if it is worth audibling to tremblant. i had sworn i would never go back there on a holiday. hmph.

snoseek

im so fucking annoyed with this shit. i am planning on sunday river > sugarloaf x2 > saddleback > loon on the way home from 12/27-31 but wondering if it is worth audibling to tremblant. i had sworn i would never go back there on a holiday. hmph.
Is there a way you can just do Sunday river the whole time? They seem to deal with this sorta thing the best. Loon too but it will be straight up dangerous after a freeze all of Boston metro will be out.

Edd

I was thinking BW Friday and Gunstock Sunday. That looks unlikely now.

Last year on Christmas Day I attempted to hit Gunstock and had to turn around after driving an hour because of rain/black ice developing and I didn’t dare drive up Cherry Valley Road after I started sliding all over the place. White knuckled it all the way home.

KustyTheKlown

Is there a way you can just do Sunday river the whole time? They seem to deal with this sorta thing the best. Loon too but it will be straight up dangerous after a freeze all of Boston metro will be out.

i am adaptable. i just rarely get to sugarloaf because its too far for a weekend and a longer trip is almost always out west. and I've never been to saddleback. both places i really wanted to ski with the new snow on them.

i can cancel my hotel at sugarloaf up to 4pm on the 24th and i'd just relocate to gorham and drive back and forth to sunday river and loon from there. may do that. may actually reserve a gorham hotel now just in case

John9

And a few hours after the rain ends, tempts plunge into single digits, and of course, no snow.

ctdubl07

On Sunday when I looked at forecast and I saw Friday, I immediately thought of this thread title because it always makes me chuckle a bit and wondered how long until it was resurrected.

Question: with the polar plunge of temps that follow, what does such a cycle produce?...meaning 2 inches of rain on top of hard pack, then deep freeze, then temp moderation for a few days? What can you expect the majority of surfaces to look like come Tuesday as I imagine snowmaking will be in full tilt once cold arrives.

MidnightJester

Besides the manmade snow on top of the ice trails it will be BAD ice everywhere off trail. I did Killington and Okemo 2 weeks ago after the rain and freeze and it wasn't as much rain and it wasn't nearly as brutally cold immediately after the rain.

The mountains are expecting nearly zero and minus wind chills after the rain. I cant see it not turning rock solid the top few inches. Maybe the deep recent snow will protect some mountains underlying base. Don't think so but maybe.

BodeMiller1

I'm sensing a change in the weather. Altitude, further from the coast. North of route 2 in NH and Maine. JayPeak, you can't get there from here (maybe you can...)

NO, this will wobble back giving Killington the reach - around effect... -This is settled science.

So it is written, so let it be done.

Meow

Ice is nice butt liquor is quicker...

Attachments

• Yep.jpg
    Yep.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2

MidnightJester

Does anyone know what he just said?

He is casting a written and possibly a verbal Snow spell to try and get better results from the incoming weather system.

KustyTheKlown

dot gov has sugarloaf in snow on the way in, a mix Friday pm, and then all snow again into Saturday. seems wishful but hope is all i got right now