• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat / Attitash 2022-2023

pinion

It felt weird always discussing Wildcat in the Vail Sucks thread, so starting this one.

Overall, this season has been far better than the prior 3 seasons. Issues still abound (here's looking at you not-always-working Bobcat triple and whatever power issue continues to plague the resort) but staffing shortfalls seem to be addressed. Snowmaking and grooming teams are making a positive difference. The 40" of snow the past few weeks helped and Wildcat was in position to drop all ropes once that crust from the last storm settled. So here we are... entering February... with twice as many trails with decent snowmaking as last year and 100% open. Saturday 1/28 had so many people show up it was crazy... all three lots full by 10:30a. At least one bus dropping off skiers.

Friday 1/27 to Sunday 1/29 - though busy - was some great skiing. Gondi line, quad line, Tomcat line, Al's, Hairball... everything held up to the crowds and was A TON of fun. Woods still need some softening but are doable if you know where you want to go.

Relative to all other years under Vail's stewardship, this has been a great start to the season, especially given the uncooperative weather. Fingers crossed things hold up, Mother Nature cooperates, and Vail keeps the quad from exploding (and gets the Bobcat running routinely so kids and families have an option to avoid the Middle Wildcat skating rink when trying to get to Wild Kitten). Still doesn't "feel" like the old Wildcat yet but certainly leap years ahead of the past 3 years.

IMG_0326.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPEG
    IMG_0339.JPEG
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0340.JPEG
    IMG_0340.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0329.JPEG
    IMG_0329.JPEG
    892.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0330.JPEG
    IMG_0330.JPEG
    669.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0335.JPEG
    IMG_0335.JPEG
    736.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

snoseek

It's been a good time up there for sure. The bobcat running has been sporadic at best but honestly I never saw it run midweek with either vail or.peak. the snowmaking has been good enough to keep me happy...they've made in some different places and have groomed well. Attitash has been ok in my book as well. More work to be done but I'm breathing a sigh of relief after the disaster that was last year.

Newpylong

Better is relative I guess, but damn there is still a ton of snowmaking terrain closed at Attitash and some of them are major trails:

Bear:

Wandering Skis
Avenger
Kachina
Myth Maker
Moonbeam

Tash:

Wilfreds
Tightrope
Middle/Lower Ptarmigan
White Horse
Tim's
Idiots
Granstand

That is pretty bad...

snoseek

Half those trails have been open or have base to open. The weak link has been grooming and pushing piles out. At least they're running lifts. Baby steps for now.

pinion

Better is relative I guess, but damn there is still a ton of snowmaking terrain closed at Attitash and some of them are major trails:
I haven't been over to Attitash yet this season. From what I hear - like @snoseek said - they are waiting on grooming some piles. Lots of piles. Seems weird given Wildcat has been on top of their grooming game (has this happened... ever?) and the only piles left are on Lift Lion which was a weird place to make snow in the first place.

2Planker

Tash was a frickin SHIT SHOW on Sat. Heard that they need 3-4 more groomers just to go over it once....
Staff is overwhelmed. Parking lots were insane. Lots of weed on the lifts !!

snoseek

Tash was a frickin SHIT SHOW on Sat. Heard that they need 3-4 more groomers just to go over it once....
Staff is overwhelmed. Parking lots were insane. Lots of weed on the lifts !!
That last sentence is a coping mechanism for that peice of shit triple. It's been good midweek.

Newpylong

Thanks for the info, so it's more about grooming than putting snow down. They have a strong snowmaking system so if the staffing was there it seemed off to see so much closed on the report.

As for Wildcat, they really made snow on Lift Lion off the top? I have literally never seen that...but last I knew the line in the woods between Lion and Top Cat was still operational. They've made snow on the "Black Cat" section numerous times. Upper Wildcat on the other hand I heard is toast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't been over to Attitash yet this season. From what I hear - like @snoseek said - they are waiting on grooming some piles. Lots of piles. Seems weird given Wildcat has been on top of their grooming game (has this happened... ever?) and the only piles left are on Lift Lion which was a weird place to make snow in the first place.

Cat made snow on Lift Lion this year? From the top? First time I recall seeing that since I started skiing there regularly in 07. Black Cat some years, but never lift lion. Always felt they should to add a 4th groomed route off the top. Assumed they never did because of the old gondola footings still there and the potential to damage a groomer.

Surprised the pipes still work

xlr8r

The fact that Wandering Skis still is not open is a really bad look. Considering Illusion is now almost always closed for racing, Bear Peak is broken without Wandering Skis and Avenger open. Clearly Attitash is still having issues this season.

Does anyone know why the moved the racing from Attitash to Illusion on Bear Peak in recent years, that is probably the best trail on the mountain, it should not be exclusive to racers.

snoseek

The fact that Wandering Skis still is not open is a really bad look. Considering Illusion is now almost always closed for racing, Bear Peak is broken without Wandering Skis and Avenger open. Clearly Attitash is still having issues this season.

Does anyone know why the moved the racing from Attitash to Illusion on Bear Peak in recent years, that is probably the best trail on the mountain, it should not be exclusive to racers.
I'm pretty sure alot of the racing has been happening on Trillium.

drjeff

100% because Illusion is a 3 event hill where they can run/train slalom, GS and even Super G on it whereas that isn't the case over on the Attitash side.

Plus if I recall correctly from when I was there last March for some races, the Attitash Ski Team is now based out of the Bear Peak side of the resort

pinion

100% because Illusion is a 3 event hill where they can run/train slalom, GS and even Super G on it whereas that isn't the case over on the Attitash side.

Plus if I recall correctly from when I was there last March for some races, the Attitash Ski Team is now based out of the Bear Peak side of the resort

Is Illusion closed outside of actual event days or the normal post-noon training windows? Cheetah has been used like this over at Wildcat this year and it's been tolerable.

Snow being made on Wandering Skis this week so hopefully that's online ASAP.

Last edited:

drjeff

Is Illusion closed outside of actual event days or the normal post-noon training windows? Cheetah has been used like this over at Wildcat this year and it's been tolerable.

Snow being made on Wandering Skis this week so hopefully that's online ASAP.

Not sure of the exact times that the teams at Attitash train, however if it's similar to the times that the teams at Mount Snow do, the race/training hill is closed off before 1st chair when the coaches get up on the hill to set the course(s)/any needed safety net that day, and then traning, if its a full day, typically goes until about 2:30, at whcih point the trail is re-opened to the public shortly after when the gates and any extra safety net has been cleared

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think they should use Kachina as the race training and competition venue. Illusion is the mountains best TTB cruising trail. This would also filter racers over to the Abenaki quad and take pressure off the Bear Peak Express on weekends.

pinion

I think they should use Kachina as the race training and competition venue. Illusion is the mountains best TTB cruising trail. This would also filter racers over to the Abenaki quad and take pressure off the Bear Peak Express on weekends.
They used to do this on Trillium using the Kachina Triple. Not sure if that lift is running this year, but past few years it has not.

Mainer

Using illusion as the race trail sucks. Probably my favorite run there. Basically one run on bear peak open now. Also been there as the racers track out the snow on powder days before the lift officially opens. It is nice they are running the lifts this year. I’ve been mostly skiing pleasant this year, haven’t missed atticat at all. Saving my wildcat vouchers for the spring and attitash for when they are mostly open.