• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

I also think there have been problems all over the place. It seems there were initial engineering errors plus whatever is going on now. I suspect in this industry you do not call out, let alone sue, the engineer. They don't grow on trees. I also don't think Pfister is at your beck and call. They have to balance their priorities and who else works on old lifts? Let alone cash flow entering the equation. The cable. That's a mystery. When it's done, Geoff could write a book. I would say it was looked at initially as a piecewise digestible project that became indigestable. One lesson for the Magicment- Under promise and over deliver.

tumbler

Never been there, I really would like to go to MAGIC with both lifts running but Is that even possible this year?

---Magic mountain management comment--
"Black Line Quad work is continuing by Pfister Mtn Services and Green Mountain Controls with lift expected to be completed soon once final drive work and tower safety work can be completed for load testing and inspection."

What kind of timeframe is that for the kind LIFT knowledgeable people out there?? per job, per total job, They list "3" jobs or events in there at least that need to be done.
2 weeks.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I lol'd at the last update. Now Black is "hopefully this season".... so much for ebd of January.

I had a freaking pass there when Black was supposed to be completed originally. I've been west for 3 seasons now...

letitsnow1

I think part of the reason Stratton decided to replace the lift was because the haul rope needed to be replaced. I guess magic was hoping to save $ and get a season or 2 out of it. It doesn't make sense that they already had a new haul rope when they "discovered " the old one needed replacement.
I think the original engineer died.
My guess is it will be ready for opening day next year

ne_skier

how do you under promise a 6 year lift install?
The least you could do is acknowledge when the same un-met promises are getting repetitive. It’s the same formula every year:
-State that there’s a few weeks worth of work to be done in the spring
-Nothing happens in the spring, or the summer. In October though, we’re reassured that work is set to begin in November
-Some stuff happens, just enough to promise the lift’s completion by Christmas week
-Nothing happens, so that gets pushed to MLK or Pres Weekend
-Either some engineering fuckup gets discovered or weather prevents meaningful work from happening, so the lift is ruled out for the season
-Return to top

I’m definitely not suggesting they publicly throw Pfister under the bus to deflect blame. They dipped their toes into doing that a couple years ago and I can’t imagine the results were good. But when there’s no realistic timetable, acknowledge it. It’ll be a PR blow at first but there won’t be any unfulfillable promises to deal with months down the road. Only saying this because I wish them the best.

mm1jp2

So you see no problem with it taking 5 years to get a lift to work?
Who cares as long as you can ski the best runs south of sugarbush. It will get done and then you guys can find something else to bitch about.

skiur

Who cares as long as you can ski the best runs south of sugarbush. It will get done and then you guys can find something else to bitch about.

Yeah, you gotta be on magics payroll. And you really haven't been able to ski much (or any) of magic this year.

JoeB-Z

how do you under promise a 6 year lift install?
I knew that would get people going. I was a project engineer for many years, actually the guns and systems you hear firing on the Underhill side of Mt. Mansfield. I have been ushered out of c-suite meetings for ripping the scab off difficult projects. Step A in this case would be not to mention it for 4 years?

danimals

Honestly, at this point, I don’t even know if I would ride the thing if it was open. If I ever make it to magic (lord knows I’ve tried) and both lifts are open, I think I’ll stick to the red. I worked in the amusement industry for a bit, and every ride that had engineering issues from the start ended up with some sort of major incident down the road.