• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shane McConkey Memorial Site, The support site from family and friends.

thaller1

http://shanemcconkey.org/

Shane gave the skiing and base jumping community endless amounts of inspiration and entertainment.

But behind the extreme athlete there was a Husband and a Father. Shane may be gone but his legend lives on through us and through his beloved Wife and Daughter.

Anything you can do to help is appreciated.

Thanks!

T

dmc

wow... I don't know how i feel about this...

At some point you have to stop the extreme risk so you can be around for the kids...

At some point you have to stop the extreme risk so you can be around for the kids...

I was thinking the same thing all along but was waiting for someone else to say it first..

mondeo

I'm waiting for the onslaught of people accusing me of being an ass....
Nah, I had my fill arguing the point over at KZone. I understand your point of view, I just don't completely agree with it.

In the end, it comes down to where you draw the line. How much risk is too much? We all take risks, those of us who don't have kids will continue to take risks after we do, ...

ccskier

I can't agree with you more. I have noticed myself having much less nads to do certain things since I had a child.

I'm waiting for the onslaught of people accusing me of being an ass....

no..the first thing I thought was he didn't die from skiing but from Base-jumping which is like a one in a couple hundred chance of dying everytime..I saw the show Nitro Circus with Travis Pastrami and I was nervous for them everytime I saw them jump off of some object with a chute..most people give up those sorts of activities when they have children..but life is short and I give Shane props for doing what he loved to do..but I don't feel it necassary to give his family money..

dmc

Nah, I had my fill arguing the point over at KZone. I understand your point of view, I just don't completely agree with it.

In the end, it comes down to where you draw the line. How much risk is too much? We all take risks, those of us who don't have kids will continue to take risks after we do, ...

KZone... That Conservative viper pit still around?

To bad ShortSki doesn't base jump...

thaller1

remember

1. Base Jumping for Red Bull was Shane's job
2. Support doesn't necesarilly mean donating cash...kind words will do also.

Life is short, Enjoy each day!

dmc

1. Base Jumping for Red Bull was Shane's job
2. Support doesn't necesarilly mean donating cash...kind words will do also.

Life is short, Enjoy each day!

OK... He was awesome!! I'm sorry he died.. I am a fan of his..

I also hope his kids aren't forever scared by the fact that their Dad fell to a horrible death doing something that has a VERY high chance of getting killed for entertainment reasons only......

Sorry ... thats the way I feel...

thaller1

People die horrible deaths every day...they fall into wood chippers, get hit by trains, cars, planes fall out of the sky... no matter how a young person dies, it sucks. I feel for his daughter...she was robbed of her Father at a very young age. Very sad.

dmc

People die horrible deaths every day...they fall into wood chippers, get hit by trains, cars, planes fall out of the sky... no matter how a young person dies, it sucks. I feel for his daughter...she was robbed of her Father at a very young age. Very sad.

She wasn't robbed... He had a choice... And he made it and now a child is fatherless...

It's kinda an insult to kids who's parents die in the line of duty.. Like soldiers, firefighters and policemen... I give to 911 charities for kids that lost parents... Support Burton snowboards on the FDNY 911 day at Hunter... Give to Breast Cancer charities to keep Moms from dying... etc... I'm actually a very giving person...

So don't get me wrong - I feel bad for the kid.. But I feel worse knowing it was a death in vain... Protecting someone is one thing... but base jumping? He should've thought about that poor child before undertaking a such a big risk...
And make no mistake... Base jumping on skis is a HUGE risk...

Sorry... again... thats just the way I feel...

I won't say anymore on the issue...

thaller1

She wasn't robbed... He had a choice... And he made it and now a child is fatherless...

It's kinda an insult to kids who's parents die in the line of duty.. Like soldiers, firefighters and policemen... I give to 911 charities for kids that lost parents... Support Burton snowboards on the FDNY 911 day at Hunter... Give to Breast Cancer charities to keep Moms from dying... etc... I'm actually a very giving person...

So don't get me wrong - I feel bad for the kid.. But I feel worse knowing it was a death in vain... Protecting someone is one thing... but base jumping? He should've thought about that poor child before undertaking a such a big risk...
And make no mistake... Base jumping on skis is a HUGE risk...

Sorry... again... thats just the way I feel...

I won't say anymore on the issue...

you have a right to your opinion.. you don't need to apologize.... say what you feel..I'm certainly not insulted.. :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was thinking the same thing all along but was waiting for someone else to say it first..
+1

I am surprised that a donation site is needed. I would have figured he would have been well paid via sponsorships and had put aside a really big "just in case" fund. I suppose life insurance does not cover this sort of thing. Workman's comp? Probably waivers involved from Red Bull, TRG, et al.

Everyone with loved ones take some risks in life. Some are more unnecessary than others. I certainly consider my own risks given I have a shared mortgage amongst other priorities with a significant other, not to mention emotional impact. It seems like an activity with zero room for error is an excessively high risk for a guy with a kid.

Truly a bummer. But DMC is 100% on point. Where do we draw the excessive risk line, though? What is excessive risk versus living a full life and having an great time doing what you love. I am not sure where the line is but I think ski base jumping when you have a family to support and care for might be on the excessive risk side of the line.

Glenn

A rough situation. On one hand, you had a guy who was providing for his family the best he saw fit. On the other, it was something that came with a very high degree of risk.

I think dmc brings up some valid points.

dmc

The line changes when you bring a child into the world...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
OK... He was awesome!! I'm sorry he died.. I am a fan of his..

I also hope his kids aren't forever scared by the fact that their Dad fell to a horrible death doing something that has a VERY high chance of getting killed for entertainment reasons only......

Sorry ... thats the way I feel...

Damn, I would hope his kids find their dad a huge inspiration, we're all gonna die one day, but he lived life to the fullest.

Sorry D, that's the way I feel.

dmc

Damn, I would hope his kids find their dad a huge inspiration, we're all gonna die one day, but he lived life to the fullest.

Sorry D, that's the way I feel.

"Dyin' ain't much of a living"