• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new bike, ready to hit the trails...!!

SKidds

I doubt he actually bought it. It probably didn't cost new at Walmart what he said he paid for it used. Can he really be as stupid as he is annoying? Nah, he's just looking for an in to be annoying in more places!

As for spending money on a bike, a small amount of research can net you something much better for a couple hundred. That's what I paid for my Fischer Hoo Koo. You are definitely better off getting a higher end bike a bit more used than a shiny almost-new Next. Better components, better frame, lighter weight, etc., etc. Nowadays just because something says Shimano on it doesn't mean you are getting a great component either.

Highway Star

Ahh you guys got me. I only paid $120 for it....same model sells for $180 at walmart. I though you guys would think it was a pro bike because of the suspension and disk brakes. I wish I could have gotten something top of the line like the mongoose blackcomb:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8399258

When you look at a bike like this your problably thinking overkill, well you would be wrong. The ride is really comfortable, there is no resistance with the disc brakes, the gears shift smoothly but will require fine-tuning when you by it, but all bikes do. The bike itself is built like a rock. Three months after I bought this bike I was hit by a car. I thought the bike was going to need major repairs, but to my surprise there was nothing wrong with it. This bike is a great product and priced just right.

---------------------------------------------

I bought the Mongoose Black Comb 6 months ago. What attracted me to the bike was the frame its really crazy looking, its very sporty, and high tech looking. I get compliments about the bike every where I go all the time by people. They tell me how nice, + Hot the bike is. Its a great bike it drive nice, shifts are smooth, the disc brakes are great, easy to replace the pads, + they also stop on a dime even in the rain. The front shocks are nice hits bumps pretty good,+ doesnt bottom out ever know matter how big the bump with the 75mm of travel which is a decent amount of travel. The rear shock is adjustable to suit your comfort zone. I love it especially the way I have mine set up when hitting bumps it doesnt hurt it cushions really good. It actually bounces on the bumps if set right. It doesnt bottom out. I noticed that the rear tire wears out before the front tire does. I still have the original front tire for 6 months now, and its still like new. And the other thing I had to replace was the chain. I also had to adjust the front + rear derailures. I only ride it on the rode, and some little trails. It rides really good, with no resistance on the rode even with the knobby tires it has on it. Its easy to clean. Maintnence is easy if your mechanically inclined you can do the brakes,+ cables, tires, tubes, chain, shifters, + shifter cables, hand grips, lubing cables, lubing the chain etc. I suggest who ever is thinking of buying this bike do it. Its a great bike for the price.

tjf67

Well, new to me at least. I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid, but decided to get into it as a summer activity. Got it off craigslist for a couple hundred or so, the guy said it was a downhill race bike but that he never got to ride it at the ski resorts so he had to sell it. It's nearly new....so I bought it...

attachment.php

I've also got my cases of mt. dew, so I'm ready to hit some sweet jumps and tear up the local trails.....probably Killington too this summer.

I can ride in my jeans and ski helmet, right?

Anybody up for a bike-off???

Dude when you pick up a fat chick at a bar you dont take pics and show her to your friends. Have fun

Highway Star

Does anyone have any tips on wheelies or jumps?

I tried to ride up a curb last night and couldn't jump my rear tire up so it hit the curb and the rear tire went flat and the tire has some wobble now too.

How do I get the rear tire in the air? Do I need those baskets for the pedals?

deadheadskier

Staff member

I tried to ride up a curb last night and couldn't jump my rear tire up so it hit the curb and the rear tire went flat and the tire has some wobble now too.

Same principle as an 'ollie' on a skateboard

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've neve been into skateboarding, but I did rollerblade for a while.

I guess the proper terminology would be bunny hop on a bike, but its the same principle as an ollie where you get the front of the bike up as high as you can then throw your weight forward, which flattens out the bike in the air while lifting the the back wheel off the ground. Baskets help, but are not necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOG87mTWa58&feature=related

Grassi21

Are you talking about toe cages and/or clipless? If so, you don't need them to bunny hop. I CAN NOT bunny hop yet. But this video goes over bunny hops and the rider does not use anything to attach his feet to the pedals.

A couple more video tutorials on this guys page...

http://www.secretreality.com/2008/02/mountain-bike-tutorials.html