• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ascutney Said to be in Financial Turmoil

UVSHTSTRM

Also, in the comments section of one of the articles, the quad may have been sold and will be dismantled. Of course this is just speculation. But with liquidation taking place I would guess this would be the first thing to go. Probably end up at Sugarloaf...haha.

Anybody know what the skier visits are like at Ascutney?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know the enivronmentalist out there won't like this statement, but in a fantasty world, rich dude or dudette buys the joint and is allowed to expand all the way to the top (if terrain allows), this would create a vertical that is as big as most NE resorts. Also expand trails to the bowls to right looking up. Increase snowmaking and upgrade lifts. Also if super rich, I would just flatten the village area and start from scratch. From what I have heard, they have some of the best top to bottom terrain (potential terrain). It's a nice area and has great access. It also has a population pool of Windsor and Claremont to draw from that would provide some skiers, but also to work.

Back to reality...........

I'm with you. Hulking Mountain. It could easily be a 2300 vert, 700 acre area and rank with any of the major 'snowmaking' resorts in New England..........Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Snow, Loon, Sunday River.

My understanding is the summit is highly protected and expansion options are minimal.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Also, in the comments section of one of the articles, the quad may have been sold and will be dismantled. Of course this is just speculation. But with liquidation taking place I would guess this would be the first thing to go. Probably end up at Sugarloaf...haha.
Interesting thought regarding the selling of a used HSQ. Has this ever happened before? I imagine there will be many interested bidders in getting a HSQ on the cheap. This would almost certainly go to a bigger player with deeper pockets... a used HSQ will be a lot cheaper than new but I doubt it will be a bargain by any means since there essentially is nothing on the used high speed market.

UVSHTSTRM

I'm with you. Hulking Mountain. It could easily be a 2300 vert, 700 acre area and rank with any of the major 'snowmaking' resorts in New England..........Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Snow, Loon, Sunday River.

My understanding is the summit is highly protected and expansion options are minimal.

It has so many cool little pod areas at high elevation. Granted I am not sure if they are even feasable with permitting and if the terrain is condusive to holding snow or for that matter isn't just ledge with way to steep pitches. Such a cool mountian.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I love Ascutney.

But I only go after it dumps, sometimes several days after and still find pow. Its lack of grooming makes the terrain more real mountain-like, stump jumping, rock hopping, random bumps and dips....

I'll be back there, with or without lifts running....

A trip out a few years back solo was a great one for me....

Ascutney is a little too lonely. (did I really say that?) Sure is nice having trails to yourself, but it won't pay the bills. If you stay in the hotel, there is only one restaurant and one snack bar after the lifts close. After a couple of days, you find yourself eating the same thing. As much as I like lonely, if they don't get enough people, they can't justify more amenities. without amenities, people won't come. A catch-22.

Glenn

I know the enivronmentalist out there won't like this statement, but in a fantasty world, rich dude or dudette buys the joint and is allowed to expand all the way to the top (if terrain allows), this would create a vertical that is as big as most NE resorts. Also expand trails to the bowls to right looking up. Increase snowmaking and upgrade lifts. Also if super rich, I would just flatten the village area and start from scratch. From what I have heard, they have some of the best top to bottom terrain (potential terrain). It's a nice area and has great access. It also has a population pool of Windsor and Claremont to draw from that would provide some skiers, but also to work.

Back to reality...........

You bring up some good points. I think Act 250 does more harm than good at times. IMHO...just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Vortex

I use to ski here a 100 days a year in the 70's 80's and grew up as a mtn rat here. 8 miles off interstate 91. 25 min south of white River junction

Cannon and Loon have closer access from the highway, but for the Ct and Ny crowd it offers very quick on and off highway access.

We always considered it a skiers mountain. many windy traditional New england ski trails.. A great history, Millerman was there in my era I believe. It really was a fun place.

One of the first places with snow making. Its always needed capital to make snow.

A great moutnain when it has snow. I have not been there since 88 and the new chair.

I wish the people and the town well.

twinplanx

Good point... Whats the place like?

I have only been there 4-5 times. Easy access from 91, some technical terrain. Just echoing the statements others have made here. Seems mismanagement and low snow avg. have left the place w/ a ghost-town-like feeling.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if there is any interest in keeping it as a resort and that the liquidation trust is the vehicle to sell it to the new owner?

tree_skier

I used to kick Bob R's butt on the race team there in the late 70's. Haven't been there in a long time. Echo what bob said although some of the trail widening and grading destroyed some of the old time feel of some trails.

many mistakes have been made throughout the years but it still has a lot of potential and i would be sad to see it close.

tree_skier

You didn't mention the shinny headgear you used to wear.

My son stole my power ranger suit

Although if I want I can now take some turns on his 210 Atomic super G boards

Vortex

Yea head gear. Some great terrain and history. Trail names have changed and all of the that, but I broke 3 pair of boards on the face of Main in a two week period. I showed them. Looked out my bedroom window and saw the top 1/2 of he mountain.

I will always think of you as my favorite power ranger Dave.

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Skied there a handfull of times, great mountain. Will be a great loss for sure. I hope someone pics it up. Alot of fun stuff off of that cabin chute side.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Pretty good history too.
http://www.ascutney.com/article/view/9363/1/1179
Damn, a lot of people put a lot of energy into it over 50 years.
they seemed to have recurring problems with debt and chair lifts as far back as the late 50s and early 60s. Interesting that Aerosmith played there during their formative years. A very rough financial history, including two previous bankruptcy. There must be a curse that needs vexing on that mountain!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty good history too.
Interesting that Aerosmith played there during their formative years.

Aerosmith is pretty tied into that area.

Joe Perry, went to my high school, Vermont Academy. Got kicked out for refusing to cut his hair. Only person who never graduated to get a lifetime achievement award from the school.

Steven Tyler's sister lives in Chester, VT. In High School, I was friends with his nephew, Darren. We crashed Steven's place on Lake Sunapee a couple of times during high school. Got arrested once. Neighbors called the cops on us and when they showed up they didn't believe these scraggly looking high school kids drinking beer in the hot tub could possibly be related to Steven. Got to meet Steven and Joe once at a family cookout. Darren would rag on them something fierce about being a great rock band who turned themselves into an awful Top 40 Pop band.

More history. Aerosmith didn't actually write their most famous song, Dream On. It was written by Joe's classmate and Joe bought it from him for $100 while a student at VA. Joe's classmate ended up becoming my theatre teachers brother in law.

My only regret in the couple years I was friends with Darren was I never got to meet his cousin, Liv. :)

UVSHTSTRM

Aerosmith is pretty tied into that area.

Joe Perry, went to my high school, Vermont Academy. Got kicked out for refusing to cut his hair. Only person who never graduated to get a lifetime achievement award from the school.

Steven Tyler's sister lives in Chester, VT. In High School, I was friends with his nephew, Darren. We crashed Steven's place on Lake Sunapee a couple of times during high school. Got arrested once. Neighbors called the cops on us and when they showed up they didn't believe these scraggly looking high school kids drinking beer in the hot tub could possibly be related to Steven. Got to meet Steven and Joe once at a family cookout. Darren would rag on them something fierce about being a great rock band who turned themselves into an awful Top 40 Pop band.

More history. Aerosmith didn't actually write their most famous song, Dream On. It was written by Joe's classmate and Joe bought it from him for $100 while a student at VA. Joe's classmate ended up becoming my theatre teachers brother in law.

My only regret in the couple years I was friends with Darren was I never got to meet his cousin, Liv. :)

Also Joe calls South Pomfret, Vt home. I think I heard that he raises some type of prized horses. Also, not that it's uncommon, but Steven Tyler is frequently seen in Lebanon/Hanover.