• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tequila Mixing

HD333

So I have been making the wife made from scratch margaritas this summer. Made the mistake of using Patron Silver , $$$$, and we are going through it like the Kennedy's go through scotch. Anybody have any suggestions as an acceptable alternative to Patron?
My recipe if anyone wants it is 3oz Patron 1.5 oz Citronge 1 fresh squeezed lemon 1 fresh squeezed lime and a splash of Paul Newmans lemonade. The recipe is a work in progress so amounts change throughout the night.

Grassi21

I like this guy. Not dirt cheap but cheaper than Patron.

50995.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I like the lemonade idea. I've always used Cuervo 1800, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, and then sour mix / splash lime

drjeff

So I have been making the wife made from scratch margaritas this summer. Made the mistake of using Patron Silver , $$$$, and we are going through it like the Kennedy's go through scotch. Anybody have any suggestions as an acceptable alternative to Patron?
My recipe if anyone wants it is 3oz Patron 1.5 oz Citronge 1 fresh squeezed lemon 1 fresh squeezed lime and a splash of Paul Newmans lemonade. The recipe is a work in progress so amounts change throughout the night.

Tough call. You've got your wife hooked on the good stuff, which she likes, and i'm guessing that you like that she likes ;)

So you're in the catch 22 situation where you keep spending the extra $$ to keep your wife happy, vs. risking that she won't like a less expensive variety as much and as a result enjoy as many margaritas and then you risk having a decrease in your summertime enjoyment! :lol:

I think that the prudent play here is to play it safe for now and go by the old stand by position where if your wife is happy, you're happy! And then maybe the next couple of times that your household needs a new bottle of Patron, have her buy it, then maybe when she sees what it costs vs. what other tequilas on the shelf cost, maybe she'll want to try something else :idea:

Philpug

Tequila.Citron.Lime. NO Mixers. THAT is a margarita.

Geoff

I like the lemonade idea. I've always used Cuervo 1800, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, and then sour mix / splash lime

I'm an 1800 person though it's kind-a a waste in a Margarita. I prefer it to the ultra-premium tequilas. I also always use Grand Marnier or Cointreau. I think cheap-o triple sec is nasty. A proper Margarita is made with fresh-squeezed lime juice. Sour mix is downright nasty. Rather than getting the sweet from the sugar in the sour mix, you get it from the Grand Marnier.

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks to this thread I finished up our bottle of this last night, mixed with some Newman's lemonade.
uploadfromtaptalk1342178734126.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mlctvt

Exactly, you should never use a good top shelf tequila in a margarita. It's a total waste of good tequila. My friend goes to Mexico every year and he stays with locals, he asked them this exact question. They said they would never use a good Anejo in a magarita, or even a Resposado. Most use Blanco a less aged tequila that has more of the agava flavor that hasn't been mellowed by aging.

Keep the sipping tequila Anejo, and maybe even Resposados, for sipping and use a good but cheaper tequila for maragaritas.

wtcobb

I made some habanero-infused tequila with some garden grown habaneros and a bottle of Herradura tequila. Goes great with a bit of Cointreau, some blue agave syrup and a fresh lime squeeze on the rocks. The habaneros give a nice smoky spice to the tequila.

Cannonball

Stopped at the NH liquor store the other day to pick up Tequila. My wife points at this bottle at says "Oh, that one looks good". I did a double-take then burst out laughing and said "I bet you think so". It took her a while to realize what was so funny. I guess the not-so-subliminal advertising worked on her....

asombroso-larosa_r2.jpg

Attachments

• tequila_rosa_3_bottle_test.jpg
    tequila_rosa_3_bottle_test.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I appreciate fine tequilas such as Patron and others. However in my opinion those Tequilas are better suited for sipping, much like a good Cognac. Not to say they aren't good for a margarita, they are. However for both price and taste, I'm very happy just using normal Tequila such as Cuervo Gold or Souza Gold. My mixture is as follows:

4 parts Sweet and Sour mix (any brand will do)
2 parts Tequila
1 part Triple Sec
1/2 part Rose's Lime Juice

I prefer my Martguerita's frozen and frozen as thick as possible. I'll typically throw ingredients into a blender add certain amount of ice and then gradually add ice until the mix looks so thick it's almost ready to stop mixing. If I throw a little too much ice in, then I just add a little liquid until it starts mixing again. For me the ultimate is when it's so thick you can spoon it out and build the drink up a an inch or more above the rim of the glass. Cheers!

ctenidae

My recipe:
Combine the juice 6-8 limes, 2-3 lemons, and an orange.
1 oz juice
2 oz tequila
dash of Roses lime
lime wedge
ice

rinse, repeat