• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your favorite current ski lift manufacturer?

What's your favorite aerial lift company?

• Total voters

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Vote above
I'm thinking there might be interest in this type of thing. What's your favorite ski lift manufacturer that is currently in business? Maybe next time I'll start a thread with some more historical manufacturers.

Doppelmayr (Austria)
Pros:
  • Quality
  • Custom Lifts
  • World's Largest Lift Manufacturer
  • Variety (Many types of lifts built)
Cons:
?

_00028.jpg

See Article: http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-40.html

DSCN0183.JPG

Poma (France)
Pros:
  • Some chairlifts faster than Doppelmayr's
  • Quality (not quite at the level of Doppelmayr)
  • Sometimes superior comfort (according to Mt. Snow fans)
Cons:
  • Sometimes less comfortable

poma.jpg
From: http://leitner-poma.com/gallery/vail-highnoon-5-4-place-chair/

Poma_Older_Fixed_Grip_Chairlift_Middlebury_Vermont.jpg
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Poma_Older_Fixed_Grip_Chairlift_Middlebury_Vermont.jpg

Skytrac (Salt Lake City)
Pros:
  • Currently only company based out of North America
Cons:
  • Only founded 2010
  • Does not build detachable lifts (yet!)

skytrac.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/BryceResort

The rest below I have simply included just for formalities since they do not build lifts in North America.

Gimar Montaz Mautino (GMM) (France)
Cons:
  • Does not build lifts in North America

Bartholet Maschinenbau AG (BMF) (Switzerland)
Cons:
  • Does not build lifts in North America

LST - Loipolder (Germany)

Nippon Cable (Japan)

Ansaku (Japan)

CMM (Italy)

MEB (Italy)

Probably a few others. Remember, this is on current lift manufacturers.

Last edited:

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
To start with, my favorite lift manufacturer is Doppelmayr. There simply are too many good things about Doppelmayr to like for me to vote for any other company. It is not my overall favorite company, however since there are some defunct manufacturers I like.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool thread. Im' actually looking forward to reading what people have to say; because I honestly do not know much about various lift types and brands other than quad / J-bar / etc.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Cool thread. Im' actually looking forward to reading what people have to say; because I honestly do not know much about various lift types and brands other than quad / J-bar / etc.

In the future, maybe I'll do a thread on the types of lifts ("quad / J-bar / etc.")

drjeff

Leitner-Poma! Ride the Bluebird Express or even the "new" chairs on the Grand Summit Express and you'll be removing your commentary about their questionable comfort! A much cushier ride than any of Dopp's newer seats I've sat in

Mpdsnowman

Mine has always been the Hall lift company. Reasoning is that was my first tow rope system lol.. My local mountain has them coincidentally two.

Hawkshot99

Leitner-Poma! Ride the Bluebird Express or even the "new" chairs on the Grand Summit Express and you'll be removing your commentary about their questionable comfort! A much cushier ride than any of Dopp's newer seats I've sat in

+1 The bluebirs seats are great, and that doesnt even count the bubble into the equation.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Leitner-Poma! Ride the Bluebird Express or even the "new" chairs on the Grand Summit Express and you'll be removing your commentary about their questionable comfort!

Hmm, glad to see that Poma is getting some love. Some of the lifts I have ridden built by Poma are really uncomfortable for my knees. I'm guessing they've improved their chair design over the years.

Mine has always been the Hall lift company.

That's my favorite company too! It's unfortunate that they don't exist anymore. Technically it is part of Doppelmayr due to mergers (since we are talking about current lift manufacturers).

Euler

Mine has always been the Hall lift company. Reasoning is that was my first tow rope system lol.. My local mountain has them coincidentally two.
Another vote for Hall. The were based out of my hometown, Watertown,NY (location of the mighty mighty Dry Hill Ski Area) for a time.

xlr8r

Yan!

Just kidding

For me, Poma has a slight edge over Doppelmayr. The current Poma chairs are really comfortable like the Mid-Burke Express. However I think the Doppelmayrs installed in the 90's have held up really well. The 15-20 year old Doppelmayrs are better than Pomas from the same time period. Either way they both make excellent lifts

WWF-VT

Klingons prefer Doppelmayr, The Federation is a big fan of Poma. I just like a lift that works and is not on wind hold.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Yan! Yes, I'm serious. It's a great story with an owner who took risks and dreamed. Too bad he's either in Mexico or dead :-(

For current manufacturers, I'd say Dopp. Their HS terminals look so futuristic with the black windows on white. Poma was great, but their lack of custom lifts really sent them down the drain, in my book. Did Poma ever do any substantial aesthetics changes to their lifts in the 90s? Fixed or detachable.