• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Mountain to Replace Arrowhead Double!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's a bad news, good news kind of thing... the bad news is that we are officially closed for the season. The good news is that we have already embarked on some major improvements for you for next season - replacing the Arrowhead chair. We've got more coming, too. Stay tuned....
From Mohawk's FB

I was at Mohawk closing day, and in fact my friend and I were talking about the lifts. He said that he thought Mohawk would replace Arrowhead, but I disagreed because it is almost never used. Well, I'm wrong! I noticed shiny new Doppelmayr sheaves near the maintenance shed on my way out. Exhibition (the trail under the lift) was not groomed. The snowpack on Arrowhead where the lift crosses the trail has been removed based on the webcam.

I don't see any need to replace that lift. It's never used, was re-built in 1988 due to a tornado, and was built by a solid manufacturer (Carlevaro-Savio). This will be Mohawk's fourth new lift in 5 years, and possibly the only true new lift (unused) out of those 4. This is based on looking at the sheaves, but I could be wrong.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe you can hurry up and take a whole bunch of photos of the lift line for remontees-mecaniques? They have much lower standards in situations like this. I looked it up on chairlift.org and it looks like a really interesting lift. Just avoid the zoom button on your camera, please! :wink:

WoodCore

This has actually been in the works for two seasons and was put on hold last year because of the dismal season. The Arrowhead was originally built in 1969 which makes it almost 45 years old and fast approaching the end of it's design life. It's sad to see it go but it's time has come.

The lift being installed is actually a pretty famous one that was dismantled a few years ago. It's the reconditioned Fore-Runner quad from Stowe. I believe it will be re-installed as a fixed grip triple though. In addition I think the plan is to extend the lift to the top and open up the Arrowhead slope to the top making for another nice wide open top to bottom run, but I could be wrong.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This has actually been in the works for two seasons and was put on hold last year because of the dismal season. The Arrowhead was originally built in 1969 which makes it almost 45 years old and fast approaching the end of it's design life. It's sad to see it go but it's time has come.

The lift being installed is actually a pretty famous one that was dismantled a few years ago. It's the reconditioned Fore-Runner quad from Stowe. I believe it will be re-installed as a fixed grip triple though. In addition I think the plan is to extend the lift to the top and open up the Arrowhead slope to the top making for another nice wide open top to bottom run, but I could be wrong.

Thank you! When I read the FourRunner quad bit I literally began to sweat!!! Then I saw fixed-grip triple...awwwwww! I don't like extending the lift to the top. The classic, narrow New England trails like Housatonic and Rim Rock will be destroyed! Short and flat, but a fun. Sad to see another C&S lift gone, but hey, I'll take the first HSQ in the East, even if it is a triple!

Conrad, I just don't see that happening. But if something changes and I can get up there, I will.

emmaurice2

I don't like extending the lift to the top. The classic, narrow New England trails like Housatonic and Rim Rock will be destroyed! Short and flat, but a fun.
I agree, would not want those trails disturbed...or my favorite "not a ski trail" trails

WoodCore

They posted a picture of the new alignment on FB today. The lift will start in roughly the same location but will unload next to the Mohawk Triple. This will change the ski area dramatically and render the Boulder Triple almost useless!

WoodCore

Found a few more details on the new lift going in at Mohawk while picking up my 2 chairs from the old Arrowhead lift. Turns out it's quite the frankenlift. The stanchions, cross arms, sheaves and housing for the drive are from the Forerunner @ Stowe. The chairs are from Wachusett. The grips are from Windham and the return wheel is from somewhere else (forgot). The drive is from the original lift #1 at Mohawk (a fairly new Dopplemayr Unit). Lots of pieces and parts!!

The Housatonic trail and the powerline will both be made wider and turned into new runs feeding into Arrowhead and the old unload area will be filled in and regraded. Should really change the way the mountain skis! Other modifications on exhibition will also be made making that flow and ski much better. Exciting times at The Hawk

WoodCore

Stopped by Mohawk today, here's some pictures of the progress!

P1010150.JPG

WoodCore

Was up on the hill Saturday and snapped a few more pictures. The amount of infrastructure/trail work being undertaken in addition to the new lift is incredible! A couple new trails and lots of new snow-making pipe and electric for the fans. The mountain is going to ski completely different this year! Can't wait for the snow to fly.

P10107981.JPG

P10107751.JPG

P10107631.JPG

P10107721.JPG

P1010745.JPG