• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Mad River Glen Video

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Here is a great video Mad River Glen just put out, I think more ski areas need to make videos that highlight what that area is about. The beauty of skiing is that so many areas have very different vibes. I just got a season pass at Mad River Glen because I really enjoy that they do not groom most of their advanced terrain. The way the bumps move is much tighter since there are no snowboards with wider turns. I actually also started snowboarding because my home mountain in NJ (Mountain Creek) grooms everything for a multitude of good reasons.

Check it out! What are your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCpdDHxjteA&feature=youtu.be

dmc

Skiers can make bump troughs bigger too...
Especially the ones that suck...

And as snowboard I'm ALWAYS on top of the bumps if I'm even in them...

bdfreetuna

Really good video. Still my general opinion is that a lot of less confident skiers could easily have a bad day at MRG. Especially any day where the conditions were dicey.

As long as they know ahead of time that only a couple trails will be groomed.

steamboat1

My opinion is everyone will have a ball at MRG.

Conditions will often , not always, be better than what can be found elsewhere.

They are in a pretty good snow belt after all.

Low skier traffic & well above average terrain is just icing on the cake.

bdfreetuna

That's probably true although I've only been there a few times so can't speak based on enough experience (although I've been to Sugarbush more often and the snow is usually great)..

But I know intermediate skiers and older skiers and younger skiers too who prefer groomed terrain and tire quickly in powder/chowder/choppy snow and many kinds of natural conditions.

Personally I live for that stuff but since I do know some skiers who will not ski at MRG and others who I would not even recommend they ski at MRG because they bitch and moan about conditions even at smaller local ski areas if they are too natural.. IMO MRG is not a beginner friendly mountain.

That said I don't know why they are trying to be. Every time I've been there the parking lot is beyond packed and the line for the single chair is stupid long. Granted I've only been there weekends. But it doesn't seem like a place that needs more business right now to me.

That also said I enjoyed their video very much and it makes me want to ski there very much!

Same deal with Magic just because they have a handful of easier trails (basically one or maybe two possible "easy" ways down) and groom a few of them as well doesn't mean it's a beginner friendly mountain.

And that's a good thing! More skiers are seeking "unconventional terrain"... as they call it.

MadMadWorld

I love MRG but there are a few issues I see:

1. Birdland lift is only open on weekends and holidays. Technically, a beginner skier can access the lower half of those trails from either the single or the double, but it is crazy to expect a beginner to go that far out of the way to hit those trails.

2. Intermediate trails are not marked well. I like the idea that all expert terrain at MRG is marked with a single diamond but I think there needs to be some kind of differentiation or at least signage to identify intermediate trails that have thin cover/water bars/moguls. There is a big difference between the upper part of Quacky and some of the intermediate trails coming off Birdland. Also, for the love of god if you want to attract lower level skiers, make the trail signs the same as what it says on the trail map (i.e. decide whether Waterfall and Periwinkle are going to be expert or intermediate).

dlague

I posted that video on FB and thought it not only talks about MRG but it speaks to skiing in general - the serenity, the beauty, the fun and the party! I was watching it and found myself really missing winter! I cannot wait to get out there again! Thanks for the post!

Edd

Nice piece of marketing. It's intent seems to be to tone down their rep a bit, which makes sense from a business perspective. Despite what that young girl said, I'm pretty certain "ski it if you can" means what we all think it does.

Smellytele

Nice piece of marketing. It's intent seems to be to tone down their rep a bit, which makes sense from a business perspective. Despite what that young girl said, I'm pretty certain "ski it if you can" means what we all think it does.

Yes no snowboarders :argue: :wink:

bzrperfspec77

I saw that the other day and enjoyed it. Great marketing IMO (just like all the big mountains - Just following suit). Definitely got the stoke level up there. Never been to MRG mainly due to the drive and idea of the long lines on the single chair that I see so much in videos. I am trying to plan a Bush MRG trip so I can get up there and enjoy it all and not have to drive back and forth the same day.

mlkrgr

I saw that the other day and enjoyed it. Great marketing IMO (just like all the big mountains - Just following suit). Definitely got the stoke level up there. Never been to MRG mainly due to the drive and idea of the long lines on the single chair that I see so much in videos. I am trying to plan a Bush MRG trip so I can get up there and enjoy it all and not have to drive back and forth the same day.

Same here; with very few exceptions (maybe roll back the clock day if you get a few friends together in 1 car at MRG), the all in cost for a single day ticket for someone going up North to ski and back one day will be cheaper via a bus to Stowe vs by car to MRG. Buses don't go to MRG.

Smellytele

Go up on a Friday - no lines. Then ski the Bush Saturday and MRG sundays aren't too bad.

Bumpsis

Go up on a Friday - no lines. Then ski the Bush Saturday and MRG sundays aren't too bad.

That's it in a nutshell. After a few times of stading in line for over 20 - 30 minutes in the single chair line, I would just avoid the place on weekends. It's a great mountain and I really dig the vibe, but that looong line is just too much for me. Unless I can get there on a weekday, no more MRG for me.