• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf New Terrain

dlague

SugarloafNewTerrain.jpg

Quoted from Sugarloaf

Thanks to a land deal with Plum Creek, we have officially acquired the terrain enclosed in red in the image above, meaning we’ll be able to officially open that area this winter for the first time ever.

It’s not for the feint of heart. This area represents some of the most technically challenging inbounds terrain you’ll find anywhere in the east, with steep, exposed areas, unmarked hazards, and some mandatory cliff drops.

If you’re one of the few who are familiar with this area already, you likely know if by names like “Awesome,” “Ball and Chain,” “Adrenaline,” and “Hell’s Gate.”

This year, when snow conditions permit, it will be accessible via a gate system, similar to backcountry access gates frequently found at western resorts.

Huck_It_Baby

When I first looked at that photo I thought it seemed like a very small, narrow area which didn't go down the fall line. After looking at google earth it appears much broader.
Looks like it funnels you into Bracket Basin if you stay skiers left.

I'll definitely make the drive go to SL for that run!

mbedle

I agree Huck - if you match up the outcrops on google earth it looks like you would just traverse over to the top of brackett basin.

Highway Star

Thanks to a land deal with Plum Creek, we have officially acquired the terrain enclosed in red in the image above, meaning we’ll be able to officially open that area this winter for the first time ever.

It’s not for the feint of heart. This area represents some of the most technically challenging inbounds terrain you’ll find anywhere in the east, with steep, exposed areas, unmarked hazards, and some mandatory cliff drops.

If you’re one of the few who are familiar with this area already, you likely know if by names like “Awesome,” “Ball and Chain,” “Adrenaline,” and “Hell’s Gate.”

This year, when snow conditions permit, it will be accessible via a gate system, similar to backcountry access gates frequently found at western resorts.

Quoted from Sugarloaf

Oh, really....?

BeefyBoy50

Instead of putting in a lift at the black line, they could simply make a cat track- it would become a hike out backside bowl like Teocalli at Crested Butte. That way the traffic would largely stay out except for those who are serious enough to hike out (it doesn't look like the hike is all that long anyway) and the snow would stay for longer.
What sounds cooler-
"new backside terrain with surface lift"
"new extreme patrolled sidecountry- first of its kind in the east (not sure if that's actually true though)"

MadMadWorld

Very interesting terrain to say the least. I have not been out there at all but would love to see a video if anyone can find it. Gate controlled access like out west could mean beacon/shovel/probe/buddy or it could just be a way to make sure no one stumbles into that area by accident.

Huck_It_Baby

They will have to put some serious boundary markers in that area to prevent skiers from getting too low and spending a night in the woods.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how they handle that. There is a vast amount of acreage off the South/East side of that mountain before you hit any major road. A maze of logging paths litter the area. Hard to tell but from looking at the map I'd say 8+ miles to get out of that valley unless you climb back over into the resort.

It would prove more dangerous for an ill prepared skier than getting lost at Killington in the Wheelerville rd area.

wa-loaf

Yeah it will be interesting to see how they handle that. There is a vast amount of acreage off the South/East side of that mountain before you hit any major road. A maze of logging paths litter the area. Hard to tell but from looking at the map I'd say 8+ miles to get out of that valley unless you climb back over into the resort.

It would prove more dangerous for an ill prepared skier than getting lost at Killington in the Wheelerville rd area.

There are a ton of snowmobile trails out there. The kid that got last winter ended up on one of those and was found by a snowmobiler. But yeah no real roads to speak of.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Pretty sick news, no need to blow past the ski area boundary signs anymore! And I definitely like deadheadskier's idea too.

MadMadWorld

Just saw a few pics. Definitely some interesting terrain features. However, it looks as though some of the really hard lines will require A LOT of snow.

wa-loaf

There was a segment in one of the Ski the East films where they are on the backside of The Loaf and kind of cliff-ed out and lost. I'm pretty sure this is the area they were in.