• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diesel fuel availability on way to Sugarloaf

Bene288

We're coming from Albany, I've never driven much past Portsmouth, NH. Around here if you're in the sticks you need really plan for stations that offer diesel fuel. Will we run into any problems with availability on the trip to the Summit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

You won't have any worries. Coming up through Farmington, kingfield all have diesel......see you up here soon

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Bene288

That's good news! We'd be bringing a smaller awd but we have to bring my friend's mono-ski, so we kind of need a truck or van. I was lucky enough to borrow a diesel, 23mpg doesn't sound great, but it's better than the 14 in my gas pick up.

Cannonball

I don't know any specific spots. But I feel like every time I've driven on route 4 I've been stuck behind some slow-moving diesel tanker. So there must be stations.

octopus

we took our tdi up there last year, i don't remember finding diesel to be an issue.

Savemeasammy

Just fuel up in a populated area before you get too far off the beaten path. When we are traveling in an unfamiliar area, we try not to bet below 1/4 tank. Getting low on diesel in a rural area can be a bit stressful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

Not sure about NH and VT, but I found Diesel in Maine to be 30 cents or so more expensive than it is in MA. Though it even seems to vary wildly in price around here too. Keep an eye out for a good price and tank up.

Bene288

Not sure about NH and VT, but I found Diesel in Maine to be 30 cents or so more expensive than it is in MA. Though it even seems to vary wildly in price around here too. Keep an eye out for a good price and tank up.

Anywhere will be cheaper than NY. I think I'll get over the boarder in Mass and fill up off the Pike.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
That's good news! We'd be bringing a smaller awd but we have to bring my friend's mono-ski, so we kind of need a truck or van. I was lucky enough to borrow a diesel, 23mpg doesn't sound great, but it's better than the 14 in my gas pick up.

:-o What kind of diesel rig are you managing 23mpg in???????? Is it tuned????? I can squeeze 20mpg out of mine (stock 7.3L PowerStroke) in the summer under good conditions if I keep it under 2000rpm, but with winter blend #2, I'm lucky to average 15.

Bene288

:-o What kind of diesel rig are you managing 23mpg in???????? Is it tuned????? I can squeeze 20mpg out of mine (stock 7.3L PowerStroke) in the summer under good conditions if I keep it under 2000rpm, but with winter blend #2, I'm lucky to average 15.

PowerJOKE!

Just kidding, this is my buddy's 3/4 ton Chevy. He vows he gets 23-25 if you babysit it on the highway. We'll see. Definitely will be better than my truck!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
PowerJOKE!

Just kidding, this is my buddy's 3/4 ton Chevy. He vows he gets 23-25 if you babysit it on the highway. We'll see. Definitely will be better than my truck!

Maybe if its chipped and you drive 60... A 3/4 ton diesel getting more than 22 is pretty rare (though I'll grant that the Duramax tends to be the most fuel efficient of the "big 3"). Now as to the "PowerJOKE"... all of their engines after the 7.3 actually do fall into that category. The 6.0 was a disaster, the 6.4 got terrible mileage and had plenty of issues, and I've read more than a few horror stories about the new 6.7s. But at least those motors have real trucks around them! :uzi:

Actually... I'm not really brand loyal; it's just that Ford makes the best overall package, and the 7.3 is a bulletproof engine. So I'm happy! :)

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You should manually clock the fuel mileage, just for curiosity. Definitely don't trust any on-board "lie-o-meter" to give you an accurate reading. Mine told me I was getting 23 once. Hand calculated, it was 21. :x

Bene288

All I know is my 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 got about 12mpg. My Tundra gets 14, 15 if I'm real careful. Any diesel will be better. Not bashing the Ford. They make a damn nice truck. I'm actually through with Chevy.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
All I know is my 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 got about 12mpg. My Tundra gets 14, 15 if I'm real careful. Any diesel will be better. Not bashing the Ford. They make a damn nice truck. I'm actually through with Chevy.

Yeah... diesel ftw everytime. I'm always poking a bit of fun at my dad... he drives a nice little Ford Ranger gasser (4.0L) that gets about 14mpg, while I'm rolling coal at 20mpg in the summer in a 4x4 crew cab 3/4 ton rig. :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member

Gas in general is more expensive in ME than it is in either NH or MA. Same goes for VT. I avoid gassing up in either state when I take trips to VT or ME. Hell, I avoid buying just about anything in VT or ME when I go on trips there as groceries, beer, wine, you name it is almost always more expensive in ME or VT than it is in NH or MA.

Bene288

You should manually clock the fuel mileage, just for curiosity. Definitely don't trust any on-board "lie-o-meter" to give you an accurate reading. Mine told me I was getting 23 once. Hand calculated, it was 21. :x

Yeah my 3/4 ton said 14. Turned out to be just under 12. My Tundra is accurate, but it's brand new so I'm sure it will lag over time.

bobbutts

Also, careful about trusting the Odometer. At least in my Subaru, the OEM tires are off by a few % vs. the Odometer. Funny (to me anyway) related story, when I got different summer tires, I got the right size to make the odometer dead on. Went to Sears to have them mounted, they mounted them, but refused to install them on the car due to not being OEM size. Since I was already wearing the winter tires and rims it was no big deal to just have them put the summer wheels in the trunk and have me install them myself. But jeez, still SMH over that one.

steamboat1

I'm thinking of one for a second car/ski car. I would love an impreza wrx hatchback.
You won't get the same mileage with a WRX plus the WRX & STI's only run on high test which costs 30 cents or more per gallon on average. I have an Outback Sport. It's the same car as an Imprezza & only comes in hatchback. Difference is 17" wheels instead of the 16" wheels on an Imprezza, the tires are also a 1/2 inch wider. The suspension is also raised 2" for a little better ground clearance. Same engine as the Imprezza with a few extra creature comforts inside (heated seats, better stereo, blue ray, sport shift trans, etc.). It's a great little ski car.