• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platonic Skiing Partner of the Opposite Sex

Cornhead

I shared a chair with an older lady a few years back, she went right off the chair, I left. I didn't dilly dally getting down the hill, I did have a little longer path back to the chair, when I got to the chair here comes Anne around the other side. I was like, woa, either that 74 yr old woman was haulin ass, or I ski like a 74 yr old woman. I think it was a little of both.

Anne was a widow, her husband was an engineer for Corning Glass, he was an avid skier. When he proposed to Anne he said I'll marry you under one condition, you learn to ski. She did, and had been skiing for the 50 yrs since. Over the next couple years Anne and I would ski together often, if I saw her alone, I would join her. I didn't have to dial it back much for the two of us to arrive at the chair together. She didn't refer to me by name, instead she called me whatever my age was at the time, 46, 47, etc. I was the youngest of her ski partners.

A couple years ago Anne was having trouble with her vision, she didn't rip like she did when we first met, and flat light days were a no go. Two years ago my opening day enthusiasm was dampend by hearing the news Anne had passed in the off season. I'm glad I chatted her up on the lift that day we met. I hope she's skiing pow on the big hill in the sky. I used to joke with her, that I quit my job and we both head to South America for the Summer, I would be her boy toy...for skiing only.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Scruffy

I shared a chair with an older lady a few years back, she went right off the chair, I left. I didn't dilly dally getting down the hill, I did have a little longer path back to the chair, when I got to the chair here comes Anne around the other side. I was like, woa, either that 74 yr old woman was haulin ass, or I ski like a 74 yr old woman. I think it was a little of both.

Anne was a widow, her husband was an engineer for Corning Glass, he was an avid skier. When he proposed to Anne he said I'll marry you under one condition, you learn to ski. She did, and had been skiing for the 50 yrs since. Over the next couple years Anne and I would ski together often, if I saw her alone, I would join her. I didn't have to dial it back much for the two of us to arrive at the chair together. She didn't refer to me by name, instead she called me whatever my age was at the time, 46, 47, etc. I was the youngest of her ski partners.

A couple years ago Anne was having trouble with her vision, she didn't rip like she did when we first met, and flat light days were a no go. Two years ago my opening day enthusiasm was dampend by hearing the news Anne had passed in the off season. I'm glad I chatted her up on the lift that day we met. I hope she's skiing pow on the big hill in the sky. I used to joke with her, that I quit my job and we both head to South America for the Summer, I would be her boy toy...for skiing only.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

C-Rex

Excuse me... I have something in my eye... :cry:

My platonic partner was not platonic by my choice, but because she was admittedly way out of my league. Gorgeous blue eyed blonde with a body that could kill from 100 yards, and a personality that made her fit in like one of the guys. And she could effin ride too. I remember being amazed when she took the lead and I had to put some real effort in to stay with her. Then she even followed me through a jump line in the park, took a pretty nasty digger, and got up laughing about it. Needless to say I was enthralled by her. I tried pretty hard to break through the platonic barrier but no dice. She's a great girl, but I later found out that she's a serious alcoholic, and not the type that is trying to sober up and better herself. So I guess I may have dodged a bullet.

dlague

Wow, that was a very cool story!

Cornhead

Thanks, I posted about her before here. I told her I was going to buy a motorcycle, she said, "Would you take me for a ride, it's on my to do list?" I said, " You mean your bucket list?" The bike I bought was a 96 Buell Lightning, the passenger "seat" is a rectangle that measures about 6"x8". I was going to borrow my Brother's 750 Yamaha Maxim if she really did want a ride, never happened. I told her I could see her more behind the handle bars than the back seat. I suggested she buy a Honda Rebel. Her adult daughter was worried I had ulterior motives for becoming her friend. She was an inspiration to me, she skied 10 runs every day, or tried to. We skied together after 8" of barely snow, it was heavy, we managed 8 runs, about 7 more than I wanted to do. She had to stop and rest on the way down. What a trooper, all her friends did one run, and left.

dlague

MadMadWorld

I cried....

Excuse me... I have something in my eye... :cry:

My platonic partner was not platonic by my choice, but because she was admittedly way out of my league. Gorgeous blue eyed blonde with a body that could kill from 100 yards, and a personality that made her fit in like one of the guys. And she could effin ride too. I remember being amazed when she took the lead and I had to put some real effort in to stay with her. Then she even followed me through a jump line in the park, took a pretty nasty digger, and got up laughing about it. Needless to say I was enthralled by her. I tried pretty hard to break through the platonic barrier but no dice. She's a great girl, but I later found out that she's a serious alcoholic, and not the type that is trying to sober up and better herself. So I guess I may have dodged a bullet.

.....then I laughed :)

MadMadWorld

BTW, I showed this to my wife and her point of view - she either should learn to ski or learn to ski better!

Agreed. it's part of a relationship. If something is that important to your significant other you should at least attempt to take interest. I can't say I blame the guy if he cheats.

RISkier

Very nice story!

steamboat1

BTW, I showed this to my wife and her point of view - she either should learn to ski or learn to ski better!
My wife never skied before I met her. She took it up & became a pretty good skier. We skied together for more than 25 years. She gave up skiing about 5 years ago. I'm OK with it.

Domeskier

I've got a Socratic ski partner. Extremely annoying. I wonder if there's wild hemlock in the trees alongside Satan's steps.