• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Massachusetts any big mountain are around 3500 elevation. Questions

ScottySkis

I been reading about that 2500 vertical mountain that also gets mountain inhanced snow and like to hear more about it looks like good spot thunder bolt trail just curious about it any info I be great. Is it like Bearpen in the Catskills?

ScottySkis

I like to try. I been hiking this past summer a lot so after 1 more summer and some money maybe save for equipment being not rich yet I KKE to skin starting next winter I hope. I like fresh snow and want to try Mount Washington valley to one day. Health and getting fit first though got to start going back to planet fitness like I was a few months ago. I bet mass have other good hiking and skiing Mountain Tom ?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I like to try. I been hiking this past summer a lot so after 1 more summer and some money maybe save for equipment being not rich yet I KKE to skin starting next winter I hope. I like fresh snow and want to try Mount Washington valley to one day. Health and getting fit first though got to start going back to planet fitness like I was a few months ago. I bet mass have other good hiking and skiing Mountain Tom ?

You might consider snow shoes , might be able to rent some?
Touring equipment is overpriced for what it is .
Also some trail no no's involved, never post hole the ski trail
It is a lot of fun but also a lot of work but not standing in the lifeline is a bonus

MadMadWorld

That's cool man. Good for you. Mount Tom is kind of disappointing if your looking for thrills. Thunderbolt is much more fun.

catsup948

Thunderbolt is one of my favorites. Great access, well maintained, fun trail with lots of character, amazing on a powder day. Warming hut at the top is awesome. Thunderbolt is a true 2500 vertical top to bottom, one of a kind for Massachusetts. Mount Greylock itself is 3490 feet and gets a good amount of snow. It's the southern point of the Green Mountains and not part of the Berkshires.

catsup948

There are a couple ways up. The Bellows Pipe trail is a longer route up but is nice and easy. The main trail along the side of the thunderbolt is faster 3/4 of the way up it gets to steep to skin so there is a trail that connects with the top of the bellows pipe. It's about an hour up. The trail drop 1.5 miles I believe for about 2500 feet of vertical.