• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Overnight stay in the Pico backcountry... it's more likely than you think!

KD7000

From the Boston Globe today:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ht-mountain/v5Hk1giEo5vaPKiw6vW8II/story.html

A Royalton man who was skiing alone on Pico Mountain was found safe nearly 10 hours after he was reported missing, Vermont State Police said. According to State Police, troopers were called just before 7 p.m. Monday concerning the skier, 63-year-old Lyndon Mann. Authorities did not initially know where he had gone skiing but found his vehicle in the parking lot of Pico Mountain. A search-and-rescue team that included Vermont Fish and Wildlife officials and Killington authorities started an extensive ground search and found Mann at about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday. Police said Mann, who had been skiing in the back country off the west side of the mountain, was not injured and walked out with the help of rescue personnel.

MadMadWorld

Yea skiing out that way can be very dangerous if you don't know your way around. It will drop you off on the wrong side of the ridge line and down into a valley around the pond. It's a very disorienting area and it can be a serious schlep if you don't have the gear. Please be careful to anyone that ventures in that direction.

ScottySkis

Sometimes in November a day after Thanksgiving 2001 your just enjoying the glades with a foot of fresh falling and it happened I know 4 hour walk back to mountain and what 10 mile 50$ cab ride. Cop s will not send out rescue for unless they think it emergency ya I was one who did that not on purpose at all.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Sometimes in November a day after Thanksgiving 2001 your just enjoying the glades with a foot of fresh falling and it happened I know 4 hour walk back to mountain and what 10 mile 50$ cab ride. Cop s will not send out rescue for unless they think it emergency ya I was one who did that not on purpose at all.

Things have changed since then , This guy went in off hours and should have been prepared, at least you new where you went wrong