• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thank you media - no one at ski area

603Skier

That's it. The only think I have to thank the media for is creating a sort of panic on how the road conditions were during this past weeks storm. The roads, well fine. Like any other 2" dusting. We skied Pats Peak during the storm and there were a whopping 50 people there max on the entire mountain at it's busiest time prior to us leaving around 2PM. Top that off with our Warren Miller free tcks sweeeeet!

Lets be courteous - if you have a two wheel drive with a 2" clearance and really slick bald tires. Stay home!
I feel really bad driving right buy you knowing I have a tow strap, but man I had an agenda.

Peace and oh yeah, thanks to Ullr

Attachments

• Pats peak (2).jpg
    Pats peak (2).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 151

gmcunni

you could thank the governors of CT and MA for the travel bans too, that made it illegal to go skiing on Tuesday (at least as a day trip).

i drove up to VT monday night...Highway signs along the way
in CT - Travel Ban starting at 9 PM
in MA - Travel Ban starting at 12:00 AM
in VT - Winter Storm, plan ahead.

Southern new england is a bunch of babies.

MadMadWorld

There is also another side of it.....there is a lot less traffic on the roads in NH then either CT or MA. Cars would pack down the snow and make the plows jobs even harder. Not to mention MA drivers suck. I find it annoying when drivers start playing slalom with a line of sanders/plows. Massachusetts drivers are dumb so they need to be treated as such.

603Skier

There is also another side of it.....there is a lot less traffic on the roads in NH then either CT or MA. Cars would pack down the snow and make the plows jobs even harder. Not to mention MA drivers suck. I find it annoying when drivers start playing slalom with a line of sanders/plows. Massachusetts drivers are dumb so they need to be treated as such.

Sometimes the plows in NH run in groups wide enough to cover the entire highway and do not allow any passing. They stay tight and keeps people from driving dangerously. The good thing is most of the time they do not drive excessively slow on purpose. It's reasonable for what they are doing. If you get stuck behind that you might as well pull over for a cup of coffee then jump back on and catch up again.

MadMadWorld

Sometimes the plows in NH run in groups wide enough to cover the entire highway and do not allow any passing. They stay tight and keeps people from driving dangerously. The good thing is most of the time they do not drive excessively slow on purpose. It's reasonable for what they are doing. If you get stuck behind that you might as well pull over for a cup of coffee then jump back on and catch up again.

See you need patience to do that. Massholes have none.

mlctvt

Last storm in CT I was on I-395 and they had a line of 3 low trucks staggered across the highway also a state pickup truck with lights all over it running behind them keeping cars from getting alongside the plows. I was the first car behind them and I was amazed how many idiots still tried to get alongside the plows. The pickup truck had to keep going back and forth to keep the cars back.

gmcunni

That's it. The only think I have to thank the media for is creating a sort of panic on how the road conditions were during this past weeks storm. The roads, well fine. Like any other 2" dusting. We skied Pats Peak during the storm and there were a whopping 50 people there max on the entire mountain at it's busiest time prior to us leaving around 2PM. Top that off with our Warren Miller free tcks sweeeeet!

Lets be courteous - if you have a two wheel drive with a 2" clearance and really slick bald tires. Stay home!
I feel really bad driving right buy you knowing I have a tow strap, but man I had an agenda.

Peace and oh yeah, thanks to Ullr

do you ski there regularly? wondering how the new terrain (new last year) is working out? i've not been up in a couple years but always have good time @ Pats.

Smellytele

do you ski there regularly? wondering how the new terrain (new last year) is working out? i've not been up in a couple years but always have good time @ Pats.

The new area is not very exciting. It is mostly beginner terrain. It spreads the people out which is nice on a busier day.

deadheadskier

Staff member

If I'm not mistaken, the first time there was a travel ban in Mass during a snowstorm was during Nemo. Mass got along just fine without travel bans for decades prior.

xwhaler

The new area is not very exciting. It is mostly beginner terrain. It spreads the people out which is nice on a busier day.
+1 SaveMeASammy and I were also there on Tuesday making storm turns and we did ride the Cascade Lift a couple times just to get some un tracked. Its not steep enough for any sort of powder turns. Perhaps charging through the short glade skiers right at the bottom would be okay but that's basically it.
If I were with a small child and/or begginer/low intermediate and didn't want to deal with the intersections/slow lift on the main mtn I would recommend it.

MadMadWorld

If I'm not mistaken, the first time there was a travel ban in Mass during a snowstorm was during Nemo. Mass got along just fine without travel bans for decades prior.

You obviously haven't lived here in awhile sir! There have been some horrendous commutes during storms.

Smellytele

+1 SaveMeASammy and I were also there on Tuesday making storm turns and we did ride the Cascade Lift a couple times just to get some un tracked. Its not steep enough for any sort of powder turns. Perhaps charging through the short glade skiers right at the bottom would be okay but that's basically it.
If I were with a small child and/or begginer/low intermediate and didn't want to deal with the intersections/slow lift on the main mtn I would recommend it.
My kids were there on Wednesday as well and said the best snow was over there. They also told me the found some "new" trails through the woods next to the upper part of the lift and also a trail that lead them back to the valley area. That area is not owned by the Peak but my kids said it skied well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Outside of a couple of beach bartending gigs on the Cape in the mid 90s, I'm proud to say it's been 25 years.

SkiingInABlueDream

Don't worry, I suspect most ski areas across NE, especially those that are readily day-trippable from S. NE, will be a shitshow of crowds tomorrow.

xwhaler

My kids were there on Wednesday as well and said the best snow was over there. They also told me the found some "new" trails through the woods next to the upper part of the lift and also a trail that lead them back to the valley area. That area is not owned by the Peak but my kids said it skied well.

Back to the Valley area from the top of the Cascade Lift? Or back to Valley off the top? i.e. Twister Woods?

603Skier

Actually we tracked the woods as soon as they opened that new section of mountain. I'll tell you we made our own tracks right from the top of woods all the way to the bottom. I gotta tell you looking at the new trail map it appears that there is a whole other peak back there. Honestly, it's not at all like the map shows. Actually not tall at all, and a really good beginner area. We had to tuck the woods the whole way down to have a little fun. But you know, the powder was there and we stayed until it was eaten up. Again free ticks can't complain! Were used to skiing the bigger mountains lately.