• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
CannonProposedRevision22108-1.jpg

CannonProposedRevision22108-2.jpg

CannonProposedRevision22108-3.jpg

Last edited:

wtcobb

From OnTheSnow:
86 acres of Mittersill, acquired by the State of New Hampshire in a land swap, will be operated as lift-served backcountry terrain this winter.

Emphasis added. 2009 would be lift-served backcountry, but the future is fair game for anything!

Savemeasammy

I often think you try to be confrontational to get viewership up. Let's face it you're paid to be on here and get paid for hits. I think you're probably a better skier than I am, but not by much. In general conservatives are better skiers than Liberals and this is based on extensive well documented studies. I used to think you were a pretty good guy, but you obviously hold grudges and hate Catholics.

I'm assuming that one of your buddies got drunk, stole your phone, and then posted this as a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SIKSKIER

Mittersill has never been promoted as ALWAYS being side/back country.Dont know where that one came from.The intent from day 1 was to make it an extension of Cannon.It was advertized as back country cuz thats what it was before improvements could be made.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fair enough. I seem to remember dialogue where the purists were upset that the lift would bring additional changes to modernize the ski experience over there. I guess I misunderstood the communication from the mountain at that time as meaning it was to remain a lift serviced natural skiing experience.

I guess that puts me solidly against the lift having ever been installed.

dlague

With FSC involved, who REALLY thought that it was going to remain as a back-country experience?

http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersill-info.html This tells the story and it is pretty clear!

As with any long term objective, you go after small goals and plans with a larger agenda in mind. Do you think Mittersill would ever have been opened if on day one they were to say, "lets rip out a bunch of trees put in snow making and create a race facility"? Now this year groomers will grace some the slopes of Mittersill, well well!

Get over it! :beer:

deadheadskier

Staff member
With FSC involved, who REALLY thought that it was going to remain as a back-country experience?

http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersill-info.html This tells the story and it is pretty clear!

As with any long term objective, you go after small goals and plans with a larger agenda in mind. Do you think Mittersill would ever have been opened if on day one they were to say, "lets rip out a bunch of trees put in snow making and create a race facility"? Now this year groomers will grace some the slopes of Mittersill, well well!

Get over it! :beer:

I did not know of FSC's involvement when the discussion of a lift going in was happening. I just admitted in the prior post that I was wrong in reading John D's comments about it. His words at the time in the Boston Globe were, "I can't overstress the fact that it's going to remain rough," and that "once we do clear-cutting or full-blown grooming, you can't go back." I read that as lift serviced all natural skiing; not clear cut groomed out race arena. I've got a lot of use for the former. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but there are countless areas in New England that already have that. There was only one Mittersill and it's gone as we knew it. Nothing wrong with stating that's bothersome.

As for "Getting over It?" I am over it. I ski Cannon basically every year. If it bothered me enough, I wouldn't ski there.

dlague

I did not know of FSC's involvement when the discussion of a lift going in was happening. I just admitted in the prior post that I was wrong in reading John D's comments about it. His words at the time in the Boston Globe were, "I can't overstress the fact that it's going to remain rough," and that "once we do clear-cutting or full-blown grooming, you can't go back." I read that as lift serviced all natural skiing; not clear cut groomed out race arena. I've got a lot of use for the former. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but there are countless areas in New England that already have that. There was only one Mittersill and it's gone as we knew it. Nothing wrong with stating that's bothersome.

As for "Getting over It?" I am over it. I ski Cannon basically every year. If it bothered me enough, I wouldn't ski there.

I understand form your perspective and mine for that matter. It is nice to have a play ground that is natural as much as possible. The fact that Barons will be groomed is sad. On a powder day people would break up the powder and create natural and soft moguls that were fun to ski with no man made lines. The woods were equally fun since IMO many stayed away. I did not ski there often enough last year and now wish I would have. But I do understand that nothing stays the same - look at Jay Peak (my home mountain as a kid). All of us had to know this was going to happen once we heard FSC was fronting the changes. Technically, back country was sold as the idea (easy sell right?), then add the chair to get rid of shuttling people and speeding up rescues or whatever other reasons. FSC wants to partner - sure thing etc. etc. etc,

wtcobb

I understand form your perspective and mine for that matter. It is nice to have a play ground that is natural as much as possible. The fact that Barons will be groomed is sad. On a powder day people would break up the powder and create natural and soft moguls that were fun to ski with no man made lines. The woods were equally fun since IMO many stayed away. I did not ski there often enough last year and now wish I would have. But I do understand that nothing stays the same - look at Jay Peak (my home mountain as a kid). All of us had to know this was going to happen once we heard FSC was fronting the changes. Technically, back country was sold as the idea (easy sell right?), then add the chair to get rid of shuttling people and speeding up rescues or whatever other reasons. FSC wants to partner - sure thing etc. etc. etc,

From a purely selfish standpoint I agree with you and DH. I'll miss the old Mittersill - it was a truly unique area.

From a business standpoint I understand the moves and the work with FSC. Providing opportunity for the US Ski Team to train at the mountain and hosting the '17 NCAA comp gain press/prestige, and having more terrain accessible to more skiers is prudent financially if upsetting to the sidecountry fans. We're not a large enough population compared to the base.

MadMadWorld

I often think you try to be confrontational to get viewership up. Let's face it you're paid to be on here and get paid for hits. I think you're probably a better skier than I am, but not by much. In general conservatives are better skiers than Liberals and this is based on extensive well documented studies. I used to think you were a pretty good guy, but you obviously hold grudges and hate Catholics.

Conservatives vs liberals ski off!

I would have to agree with his statement hear. For the conservatives you have BG, Steamboat1, and freeskier....that's quite the winning combo!

Snowlover....liberal or conservative? His hatred of Jay makes me think he's a lib.

freeski

Conservatives vs liberals ski off!

I would have to agree with his statement hear. For the conservatives you have BG, Steamboat1, and freeskier....that's quite the winning combo!

Snowlover....liberal or conservative? His hatred of Jay makes me think he's a lib.
I feel good about this ski off.
Back to Cannon, it would be nice to have a T-bar up to Mittersill from Taft and at the top have a map with trail names and lights to show what's open like at Whistler. Going to have to cut more trails up there.

Just kidding...

Seriously, think they'll ever cut a trail over by Kinsman glade. No blasting, an old narrow trail, but with snowmaking. Something like Hardscrabble. There is plenty of room over there for one trail.