• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

prsboogie

Nice photo, for those that don't know; people hike and put up a US flag on the summits of all forty eight 4000+ foot peaks in NH every year on the first Saturday after 9-11. We will never forget.

I didn't know this happened and I have to say that is the cool fn thing I have heard in a VERY long time! No we won't !!!!

Quietman

At least Isolation has great views from the top! I doubt that I will ever climb Owls Head.

dlague

Nice photo, for those that don't know; people hike and put up a US flag on the summits of all forty eight 4000+ foot peaks in NH every year on the first Saturday after 9-11. We will never forget.

But how many rock climbed up the face of Franconia Notch to do it the day after it happened. Also, I never hear of the others.

Puck it

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• mitty1.jpg
    mitty1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 383
  • barons.jpg
    barons.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 380

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad they named some of the trails. It will help to navigate.

oh man, I could not disagree more

It's the complete jumping of the shark. Mittersill was sold as "lift serviced back country". It's bad enough what they've done in turning their backs on that promise and putting in race training venues, but now to add all of it back on the map? pretty lame

I regret ever being in favor of the double going in. Glad I got to experience it briefly when it was hike to only.

freeski

oh man, I could not disagree more

It's the complete jumping of the shark. Mittersill was sold as "lift serviced back country". It's bad enough what they've done in turning their backs on that promise and putting in race training venues, but now to add all of it back on the map? pretty lame

I regret ever being in favor of the double going in. Glad I got to experience it briefly when it was hike to only.
I hope they use as many of the old Mittersill names as possible. I'd like to be able to look at the map and say I want to go to a certain place and then find it. I also have a weird phobia, I like to know exactly were I am on a mountain at all times. Kind of a mental GPS. I understand the keeping it natural angle though. Also, now that the vegetation has grown back a bit the scars do not look as bad.

One cool thing on the Cannon site is the Tuckerbrook map for kids. It has a plane flying around and a rocket takes off and is a little interactive. Even as an adult I experience the same kind of "wonderment trance" that I used to get from reading Richard Scarry's books.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you ski there often enough, you would not need a trail map for either Mittersill or Cannon proper. You might not find all the goodies in a day, but it's pretty easy to learn how to completely navigate Mittersill in a day or two tops.

freeski

If you ski there often enough, you would not need a trail map for either Mittersill or Cannon proper. You might not find all the goodies in a day, but it's pretty easy to learn how to completely navigate Mittersill in a day or two tops.
I've got over 400 days at Cannon. Before the lift I only skied Barons. I probably have a thirst for a higher degree of detail. Also, Cannon needs to increase skier visits to earn more money to keep improving. There is no argument that a first time Cannon skier will have a better experience if they can find their way around. There is always the south side and the mountains across the street.