• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Re: new boots

HowieT2

Re: new boots

Downhill vs. at. I started skinning last season and expect to go 3-5 times a season, but just sidecountry. The vast majority of my skiing will be resort trails and woods. My boot fitter says to go with regular alpine boots but wondering about the new "crossover" at models. They're pretty much the same price. Thoughts?

JimG.

Staff member
Look at the Dalbello Panterra.

It has a walk mode. I never use it I got them because of the more generous toe box; Kryptons were too narrow for my foot.

Awesome front side performance and the walk mode should help you with touring.

bigbog

The gap between a downhill boot's tight cuff for descents and a dedicated AT boot seems to be a goal of some of the boot manufacturers right now... Downhill boot with walkmode and now WTR(a slightly rockered toe)...accompanied with multiple sole pieces(by some/most).

A dedicated AT boot with downhill capacity, maybe till now, has offered greater range of movement without any issues from the cuff. Certainly has the advantage of less weight...but fflex is the judgement, especially here in the East...

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

There are tons of options out there for a downhill boot with a walk mode. I would definatly buy one of them over a locked DH boot if you plan on skinning. I skinned for several years in a locked DH boot. It is doable, but after getting a DH walkmode boot, I realized how much better it was (realized how much those boots were still lacking when I bought true AT boots..).
Since you need to buy a new boot anyway, get a walkmode.
I ski the Panterra 130, and skied the Panterra 120 last year. They both ski all mtn great! I love the Cabrio style of shell. If you choose them, spend the extra $50 and get the Intuition liners.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Most of my skinning was in downhill boots , They have a walk mode but I just never used it . I bought Scarpa Spirit 3's and found the walk mode has considerable movement . They are a bit soft on the forward flex but doing research found they have stiffer tongues , bought some and they are better for downhill but still a lot of movement in walk mode.

Question I have for you high time AT guys is ,DO you get chaffing issues in extended walk mode use? I gad very Few blisters ever with downhill boot in locked mode?

Hawkshot99

Most of my skinning was in downhill boots , They have a walk mode but I just never used it . I bought Scarpa Spirit 3's and found the walk mode has considerable movement . They are a bit soft on the forward flex but doing research found they have stiffer tongues , bought some and they are better for downhill but still a lot of movement in walk mode.

Question I have for you high time AT guys is ,DO you get chaffing issues in extended walk mode use? I gad very Few blisters ever with downhill boot in locked mode?

When I used DH boots for skiining, I used to get blisters on my heals every so often. Since switching to DH boots with walk mode, or my AT boots I no longer do. I can leave the AT boots just as tight when skinning so there is no movement of my foot. With the full DH boots I had very little range of motion, so the boots would need to be slightly looser, and my foot would move slightly in the boot.

What do yo mean by "considerable movement"? Do you mean the ability to do a toe point? this allows you a much better stride motion over a locked boot.

bigbog

Yeah SiliconeBobSP...offering greater movement in the cuff...seems to be a focus of design.
Salomon's Quest TR felt like it offered more movement in the cuff than my Tecnica Cochise. Would some cuff work(flare it at the very top a bit) on the Spirit 3 solve anything? ..OR finding that stiffer tongue with matching the attachment slot/hinge? Is Dalbello's means of attaching the tongue(stiffer tongue) do-able with the Spirit 3?

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
When I used DH boots for skiining, I used to get blisters on my heals every so often. Since switching to DH boots with walk mode, or my AT boots I no longer do. I can leave the AT boots just as tight when skinning so there is no movement of my foot. With the full DH boots I had very little range of motion, so the boots would need to be slightly looser, and my foot would move slightly in the boot.

What do yo mean by "considerable movement"? Do you mean the ability to do a toe point? this allows you a much better stride motion over a locked boot.

Yes toe point is possible even with the stiffer tongue , allot more than downhill boot in walk mode. I'll have to give walk mode a try .