• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanks for helping me have a great season

ColdRain&Snow

19 days for me was probably the most since the early 2000s. I joined here after lurking for a while, primarily to get familiar with new gear.

After being off my boards for several seasons, and using my old ski rig the past few years, I started with a great bootfitting experience with Bill @GMOL, started looking at new skis and got a lot of great input from members.

While I was in my lurking phase here, I noticed a lot of threads related to my skiing experiences going back decades, both in the northeast and out west. After joining I spent a lot of time looking at your experiences, knowledge, ..and dedication to skiing. Kusty’s Sun Valley pic with that blue sky, and his entire trip was pretty incredible.

Your dedication really helped motivate me to undertake a real conditioning program for this season. Lesson learned for me is to continue conditioning during the season, I kinda faded near my season end, which I knew would be mid March.

I’ve had the stratton only pass for the last three seasons, upgraded to the ikon pass for 2023/24. Planning on a lot of northern VT, NH, and Maine next season.

And since motivation is contagious, you all transferred, through me by osmosis, your motivation to my better half and she now has new GMOL boots, new skis, and an ikon 2023/24 pass. This was a shock to me. She’s already itching for next season.

I never pulled the trigger on new skis from my local shop, and kinda glad they didn’t have what I thought I wanted.

It became apparent my ski technique/fundamentals need work, so next season I’m planning on a high priced private lesson early on to get some professional on mountain assistance. I’d like to get back to more varied terrain versus my past few seasons, and then I can determine the right ski, width and length.

And I guess my last observation would be,.. when you pick the dumbest thread of 2022/23, I’m sure my thread griping about ski areas shutting down snowmaking early this year should ring that bell, loudly.

Kingslug20

Best way to get better at skiing...ski with people better than you...
And work on 1 thing at a time...

jimk

Best wishes for many future enjoyable ski seasons!

I've been puttering around online ski forums for over 20 years. I was middle aged at first, now a senior. They definitely keep my fires stoked and provide a wealth of info on resorts, news, snow conditions, ski gear, bargains, etc. Personally,they've also been outstanding for networking to find "brick and mortar" ski buddies. in fact, virtually all my current ski buddies have been from internet connections, some dating back 15 years at this point.

Photo taken today 4/30/2023 at Solitude, UT with my son and three friends I first met on the internet. I'm #10 in background:giggle:
group of 5 on 29 april.jpg

BodeMiller1

Agree, this is good advice. This board is a wealth of knowledge and some of the pictures are incredible. It's nice to know the ski thoughts of the other Winter Athletes.
When others are putting a morning log on the fire, we're scrapping windshields and pounding beer to take the edge off before we get into our oldsmobuicks and drive to the mountains.
Meow

ColdRain&Snow

I’m skiing primarily weekdays and have been doing mostly solo and a few spouse trips, so a private lesson is probably the best move for me.

I was kinda shocked by the pricing at Stratton, though it’s probably in the ballpark of most places. It was getting late in the season at that point, so it didn’t seem worth it. Next season, I’m going to commit early to it.

Domeskier

Lessons are the way to go if you really want to improve. There's some decent stuff online that helps, but nothing beats having a competent instructor evaluate your skiing and let you know what you're doing right and, more importantly, what you need to work. Trying to mimic and keep up with better skiers is just as likely to reinforce bad habits.

Kingslug20

Depends on who you follow. I learned to ski powder by following a crew I skied at Alta with for 20 years.
Same thing with moguls here in the east.
I took some lessons through the years..but now they are priced way too high.
Eventually you figure out what works for you.

skiur

Depends on who you follow. I learned to ski powder by following a crew I skied at Alta with for 20 years.
Same thing with moguls here in the east.
I took some lessons through the years..but now they are priced way too high.
Eventually you figure out what works for you.

That's how I learned, never took a lesson just skied with buddies who were better than me, they said we are going this way and I followed. Doing so got me in over my head often but I learned really quick.

KustyTheKlown

im glad that you found your involvement here to increase your enjoyment of your skiing and that you found my posts/trip reports particularly useful/inspiring

for me, skiing is a fucking obsession. and my girlfriend doesn't give a shit. and my two closest local ski friends barely give a shit since they are now parents of toddlers. and my wise ski friends moved to colorado years ago (and have epic passes so we hardly get to ski together).

i love this place as an outlet to discuss my borderline autistic obsession, even if sometimes i may be typing into a void.l i tend to fly solo (and enjoy it) and i don't actively seek out meet-ups here, but its always been pleasant the few times its happened.

i like this place. but I'll prob go largely silent til like October