• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI Magazine 2016-17 Eastern Resort Rankings

JimG.

Staff member
Whiteface has been on my list now for years and still haven't done it. Hopefully this year w a combo of Gore to make a northern NY trip.

Question: I've heard the runout from the middle of WF down to the base is pretty boring. How much vertical is just getting back to the base lift(s)?

If there is decent (150") snow Gore will surprise you. Don't be afraid to venture out and explore.

xlr8r

I've seen that on a number of lifts at different areas... I think the Slide Brook Express at Sugarbush has that sign.

It is typically for detachables as those do run in reverse to move chairs to parking rails and vice versa

jimk

I live closer to Snowshoe than most on this board. Its never even been a consideration for me to go there. Sure the elevations is good, but the skiing is weak. Plus as DHS said, its a MAJOR pain in the ass to get too. Its 5 hours from me in Central PA. I can be in Killington in 7.5 hours.

LOL. Yeah, it looks like Snowshoe took Holiday Valley's place this year on the list. I've lived in DC area nearly all my life, skied in the mid-A area for the last 50 years. Been to Snowshoe twice

and whiteface has such unique terrain. that massive vertical drop, the slides when they are able to open them, that view from the peak. my only issue with whiteface is a lack of good tree skiing. the one off the Wilmington trail is deceiving. it's long but the fall line is a short hit to the creek bed and then you're basically gliding out at very low angle

Don't know Whiteface real well, but good trees off Little Whiteface:
Cloudsplitter Glades
LL

10th Mtn Div Glades
LL

deadheadskier

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought I've read Whiteface has some lift lines that are roped off, but would be good skiing. Something to do with trail mileage being capped? I would find that Incredibly annoying.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
BG ....Whats up with "Notice - Lift may run in reverse" Sign?
:-o
A number of cases have occurred when the brake on a chair lift has failed and as the chairs start moving backwards, they accelerate. Going around the bull wheel backwards is quite dangerous and many will take a chance and jump before it gets going too fast. The sign is essentially a warning that if the lift goes backwards, "Don't Jump".

chuckstah

I was on the North Peak quad at Loon a few years ago that has that sign, and it started going backwards. Fast. Scared the shit out of me. I was told it was routine? Boyne.

AMG27

Agree that both Le Massif and Mt. St. Anne are superior to most of the resorts in this list, but they are beyond the travel range of most eastern skiers.

First list of this kind I've seen without Holiday Valley from WNY The top 10 are all of 2K vertical.

Second time Le Massif has been brought up around me. Any tips on visiting? I keep hearing how great it is, but feel like a total outsider when it comes to Canadian Mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Second time Le Massif has been brought up around me. Any tips on visiting? I keep hearing how great it is, but feel like a total outsider when it comes to Canadian Mountains.
There's plenty of things to do & places to stay between staying in Quebec City or at Mont Sainte Anne. Le Massif is quieter but I'm sure there is some local lodging available, never looked into it myself. They're all relatively close to eachother so getting from one to another is not that big a deal. Language is not a barrier either as most people speak both English & French. If you're going to spend any amount of time up there I'd look into skiing a day at Stoneham & Le Rolais too. They're smaller areas north of QC (SA & LM are east) & offer good skiing also. I've never been to Masif de Sud which is south of QC so can't give an opinion. I wouldn't worry about feeling like an outsider, you'll feel right at home.

ceo

My understanding is that Doppelmayr detachables have that sign because the grip is in a locked-open position going around the terminal, so the grip force check happens when the chair has clamped onto the haul rope and is on its way out. If the grip isn't gripping hard enough, they have to reverse the lift to bring it back into the terminal. Poma detachables have a single-position grip, so they can check it when it's off the cable.

AMG27

There's plenty of things to do & places to stay between staying in Quebec City or at Mont Sainte Anne. Le Massif is quieter but I'm sure there is some local lodging available, never looked into it myself. They're all relatively close to eachother so getting from one to another is not that big a deal. Language is not a barrier either as most people speak both English & French. If you're going to spend any amount of time up there I'd look into skiing a day at Stoneham & Le Rolais too. They're smaller areas north of QC (SA & LM are east) & offer good skiing also. I've never been to Masif de Sud which is south of QC so can't give an opinion. I wouldn't worry about feeling like an outsider, you'll feel right at home.

Thanks for the info! I'll look more detailed into it once it's finally winter.

dlague

Thanks for the info! I'll look more detailed into it once it's finally winter.

If you make it to the Boston Ski and Snowboard Show, the resorts up and around Quebec there will be there and have all the info you need!