• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Mag: Industry Fat Cats Shots in Feet

dlague

Funny that you bring this up. I think there are several ways of looking at this and regulation is one of those. Businesses are becoming so regulated that the cost of doing business is ever increasing. Ski areas use lots of energy both electric and fossil fuel based and are concerned about their bottom line?

On another note, I was a subscriber to POW (Protect Our Winters) mostly to see how they addressed this topic. I unsubscibed right after the election because they made their stance very political. Acting like all the work the did with Obama was all for nothing with Trump coming in. My thoughts were that if it is so important to them then make your case with the new administration don't just give up. Disclaimer, I am not a big climate change fan. But this thread may get very volatile.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

It's sad that a ski magazine is writing about political contributions, and then loosely attempting to tie them back to global warming, but sadly it seems politics is everywhere these days.

Jully

It's sad that a ski magazine is writing about political contributions, and then loosely attempting to tie them back to global warming, but sadly it seems politics is everywhere these days.

Agreed. That's the entire issue with talking about anything climate or environment related. Awhile ago now politics got involved and now any conversation becomes politics focused, especially the people trying to communicate anything about it.

benski

The problem with debating climate change is one side looks to science for answers and the other refuses to listen to climate scientists and says look how cold its been lately.

benski

You should not start a debate about climate change if you can't tell Milankovitch cycles from anthropogenic forcing.

I have seen congressmen debate climate change who can't tell the difrence between weather or climate. :flag: :puke:

BenedictGomez

The problem with debating climate change is one side looks to science for answers and the other refuses to listen to climate scientists and says look how cold its been lately.

The problem with debating climate science is one side looks to science but applies it much like a religion for answers.

Los

Both the left and the right share equal blame for politicizing global warming.

But regardless, it amazes me that there are so many people on this forum who think they know better than the overwhelming majority of climate scientists.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Dickc

Take this over to K-Zone. They have a whopper of a climate change thread!!!! Its called - Science Rant, Not politics: Can CO2 cause "Climate Change?" It went political real fast and is now 135 pages long!

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me the topic of global warming is so boring and unproductive from both sides. Sides meaning there's politics involved.

To me it boils down that regardless of climate, pollution is bad. We should probably find ways to stop doing it. It often hurts economically in the short term to adapt, but technology is advancing so fast that pain becomes short lived with the birth of new clean energy industries.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

For me the topic of global warming is so boring and unproductive from both sides. Sides meaning there's politics involved.

To me it boils down that regardless of climate, pollution is bad. We should probably find ways to stop doing it. It often hurts economically in the short term to adapt, but technology is advancing so fast that pain becomes short lived with the birth of new clean energy industries.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Ding ding ding! We have winner (at least in my opinion).

Pittsburgh high noon on sunny day in 1947: enhanced-buzz-wide-22360-1384449978-6.jpg

Cuyahoga River catching on fire, 1969.
Cuyahoga R fire.jpg

Environmental cleansing technology, coal scrubbers, catalytic converters, etc while supported by regulations are still a uniquely American creation that we have since exported and are now a bigger industry and US export our plastics industry.

Last edited: