• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

legalize it already

Jully

Double win for you. With Maine winning you are all set at home in Mass and at your vacation home with no need to travel with it through NH where it remains illegal.

I wonder if state troopers are going to sit on the NH stretch of 95 between MA and ME and try and pull people over and catch them. I doubt they'd be that cruel / it would be hard to do unless someone stupidly left the weed sitting out in their front or back seat. Wouldn't that be something though. I thought I heard of police being very wary near the CO border for awhile after it was legalized there.

crank

When does the MA law go into effect and when will dispensaries start opening up?

yeggous

MA law takes effect 12/15 of this year. Dispensaries will most likely take a bit longer.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Stores opening January 2018. Already some politicians are trying to slow things and increase the tax rate. They didn't want this to pass and seem to want to reshape things now that it did.

Incidentally, the Baker administration is a great name for the state executive office that will oversee legalization.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Looked up a few details on the Mass bill:

-Create a Cannabis Control Commission to regulate marijuana legalization, issue licenses to retailers and other firms selling marijuana products

-Legalize the possession of less than 10 oz. of marijuana inside homes or less than 1 oz. in public

-Make it legal to grow up to six marijuana plants in the home

-Stipulate that marijuana retailers would be subject to the state sales tax, with an additional 3.75 percent excise tax (local municipalities can choose to add another 2 percent tax)

-Direct revenue from excise taxes, license application fees and fines for minor violations of this law into a Marijuana Regulation Fund that would cover the administrative costs of the new law

-It would take effect Dec. 15, 2016.

Seems similar to other states. Being able to grow your own and possess up to 10 oz is pretty reasonable. Not certain about access to seeds to actually grow, though.

Jully

Seems like theres no funding for anything beyond just regulating itself. I think I remember hearing that as a critique of the law. Local municipalities will be able to use that tax for whatever though, like road and bridge maintenance. Charlemont MA added a local tax which applied to lift tickets this past year (BEast is there) because they just had no money for some basic necessities. The mountain was in favor of the tax too.

SkiFanE

Looked up a few details on the Mass bill:

-Create a Cannabis Control Commission to regulate marijuana legalization, issue licenses to retailers and other firms selling marijuana products

-Legalize the possession of less than 10 oz. of marijuana inside homes or less than 1 oz. in public

-Make it legal to grow up to six marijuana plants in the home

-Stipulate that marijuana retailers would be subject to the state sales tax, with an additional 3.75 percent excise tax (local municipalities can choose to add another 2 percent tax)

-Direct revenue from excise taxes, license application fees and fines for minor violations of this law into a Marijuana Regulation Fund that would cover the administrative costs of the new law

-It would take effect Dec. 15, 2016.

Seems similar to other states. Being able to grow your own and possess up to 10 oz is pretty reasonable. Not certain about access to seeds to actually grow, though.

Tha actual bill was paraphrased on the ballot and one part was tricky to understand - many commas and semi colons lol - but led me to believe someone growing at home can give away or even distribute up to a certain amounted legally. I like that part. Also towns can choose whether to allow selling in their town - my town already rejected a medical MJ place, doubtful they'd allow retail. Taxes aren't an enticement since half our tax revenue base is commercial/industrial - so we are wealthy town, tax wise. But I don't expect to walk into a store on 12/15 and buying a joint. Any you know politicians will drag their feet.

I have been driving cross state lines for decades without issue - don't plan on changing my habits any time soon lol.

ScottySkis

Just curious what Town in South Western MA might be first to have retail shop that sells edibles? So i can have nice visit soon?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd imagine Great Barrington will, but it will likely be a couple years.

I'd anticipate Maine to have retail far sooner. There are a massive amount of medicinal operations in Maine already. I'm sure many will expand to retail quickly

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I'd imagine Great Barrington will, but it will likely be a couple years.

I'd anticipate Maine to have retail far sooner. There are a massive amount of medicinal operations in Maine already. I'm sure many will expand to retail quickly

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Indeed. MA on the other hand had extremely limited medical dispensaries.

ScottySkis

So maybe I go to az summit then.
I All more reasons to leave NY state.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...rijuana’/ar-AAktrCb?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

This guy reminds me of Alexander Haig. I'll never forget Haig standing in front of the press saying he was in charge after Reagan got shot.

Since I'm skeptical of what happens after legalization I am in no rush to see it happen. The thought of buying MJ from big tobacco companies who will "process" my weed before selling it to me at who knows what prices makes me puke.

So I don't care about what Mr. Reefer Madness here has to say about MJ users.

snoseek

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...rijuana’/ar-AAktrCb?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartandhp

This guy reminds me of Alexander Haig. I'll never forget Haig standing in front of the press saying he was in charge after Reagan got shot.

Since I'm skeptical of what happens after legalization I am in no rush to see it happen. The thought of buying MJ from big tobacco companies who will "process" my weed before selling it to me at who knows what prices makes me puke.

So I don't care about what Mr. Reefer Madness here has to say about MJ users.

I feel like there will be plenty of people growing and you'll never be forced to buy from big tobacco. God only hopes they don't lobby for exclusive rights to provide...that would piss a lot of people off and bring it all back to the black market....full circle. I was under the impression our prez elect was looking to leave it to the states which to me is fine. This guy appointed doesn't sound good at all!

Edit....finished the article...this guy is a moron

JimG.

Staff member
I feel like there will be plenty of people growing and you'll never be forced to buy from big tobacco. God only hopes they don't lobby for exclusive rights to provide...that would piss a lot of people off and bring it all back to the black market

My exact fear; in fact, I think this guy was nominated because of his views so that big tobacco and pharma companies can control the market. Tobacco is already lobbying for the FDA to approve any MJ related products. That would in itself remove any small growers and producers of MJ products from the marketing equation because FDA approval requires millions in investment before any profit is realized.

The reason this guy was nominated was to use the Fed as a reason to push out anyone but big corporations from the MJ windfall. Don't let his obvious racism color your perception. He was not nominated to undo civil rights. Civil rights will be the carrot dangled to the masses so that they accept big business' MJ grab.

I know this sounds like a big conspiracy theory. Just watch what happens.

States may allow growing for personal use but the Fed NEVER will. Instead of big Tobacco we will have big MJ.

Last edited:

freeski

Yes, keep big tobacco and the pharms out. I don't want Dupont any where near it. Meanwhile, NH is looking at 5 year minimums for any amount. Downwards and backwards toward zero tolerance. Well this is one way to solve the congestion on 93S & 95S after long weekend as many will not want to come to NH.

JimG.

Staff member
Yes, keep big tobacco and the pharms out. I don't want Dupont any where near it. Meanwhile, NH is looking at 5 year minimums for any amount. Downwards and backwards toward zero tolerance. Well this is one way to solve the congestion on 93S & 95S after long weekend as many will not want to come to NH.

Thought of NH as a place to retire. Not so much after reading your post.

Maybe I will wind up out west.