• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Vacation Advice

Equinox

OK, I need to put this out here. I've got a real mixed bag of skiers looking for a nice 3-day trip, and we don't know where to go. Our ragtag party is looking for some fun!

Skier 1: Loves everything except moguls. Any trail is fun as long as it's interesting. Has skied double blacks before. Wachusett is home but no longer challenging. Loves skiing on Mt. Snow and SR. Has a soft spot for Cannon too. Has twin tips and race boots, loves corduroy, crunchy stuff, and good apres beer. Loves first chair and first tracks too. Hates cold below -15.

Skier 2: Very much a midlife crisis beginner, but brave. Been skiing less than a dozen times, but will tackle whatever it is that's thrown at them. Too cautious for a full on yard sale, but either lucky or talented enough to make it down whatever you shove them at without eating shit. Loves taking lessons and fluffy snow. Not very fast, but not klutzy either. Apres ski, likes good food and a coctkail, followed by a hot shower.

Skier 3: Mama bear type that skis all greens, blues and most blacks without a care in the world. Likes some speed, doesn't like a**holes that run over other people and camp in the middle of the trail. Not overly fond of moguls, but can show you up if you dare. Loves a hot tub and spa at the end of the day, and loves fine dining apres ski.

Skier 4: Fearless kid of the 12 year old type. Polite, responsible, loves going fast, jumping here and there, and just being a kid. Can ski blacks without thinking about it. This kid doesn't wipe out! (I swear kids bounce!) Apres ski, only cares about how fast the wi-fi is and where the hot chocolate comes from.

Looking to make a trip with the aforementioned party anywhere from VT to Maine. I'd love some advice on not only where to take this crew to ski, but also where to stay. We have no restrictions about school vacation, so we're open to any advice. If you were to look at a map of New England, we're all closest to the place that MA, CT, and RI meet.

Any suggestions out there?

tnt1234

Sounds like Stowe will fit the bill. Great dining options in town.

As far as skiing goes, sounds to me like you guys will have fun anywhere that grooms well, so Stratton, Okemo, Mt, Snow...but I don't know about fine dining in those areas.

I'd stay away from Killington because you sound like a fairly diverse group and I think you would have a hard time staying in the same pod and riding the same lift at K. Those other moutanins, you can stick roughly together but everyone take a different run.

Jully

Any of the Boyne mountains in NE would work well too - Sugarloaf, Loon, Sunday River. All have good dining options by the resorts, all have good grooming, including on some steeper trails as well as plenty of blues, and all have a variety of terrain for a beginner.

Being in NH and ME there will be fewer crowds than a VT mountain. Loon will be the most crowded, followed by SR, and Sugarloaf the least crowded. Sugarloaf is the biggest, Sunday River has the best beginner and intermediate terrain options, and Loon is the closest to MA/Boston. My personal recommendation would be Sugarloaf. You could all ski the same lift together at SL as well, especially the Superquad or Timberline.

You can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

SkiMom80

I'd second Sugarloaf! They have the best skiing (definitely something for everyone) and a decent selection of on-mountain food and apres choices.

SIKSKIER

I just liked reading the skier descriptions.Thorough and funny!Looks like you know your group well.Were you one of those and if not we need skier #5 lowdown.

cdskier

I just liked reading the skier descriptions.Thorough and funny!Looks like you know your group well.Were you one of those and if not we need skier #5 lowdown.

My guess was Equinox was number 2...or at least it sounds like it could be based on her other posts here so far! Those descriptions were great though.

Equinox

My guess was Equinox was number 2...or at least it sounds like it could be based on her other posts here so far! Those descriptions were great though.

Yes, I am #2. I'm the knuclkehead that decided to try skiing after tagging along as an extra wheel for a while. I'd usually go enjoy winter equine activities while the others slid down the mountain because I'm a career horse trainer. (VT and NH both have awesome winter horse activity-especially if you like sleigh rides!)

We've got a pretty mixed bag, but we like hanging around together. Sometimes we include a 5th:

Snowboarder: Will ride anything anywhere. Jumps anything, landings may be iffy. Yard sales are reduced by tethering gear to rider's body. Lives on Red Bull and nachos. Loves 'POWDAH!!' and skidding to stops while throwing as much snow as possible. The faster the better. Hasn't yet become fearful of broken bones and creaky joints. Has a helmet full of stickers and a pocket full of snacks. Fun to watch, and leave you wondering how a body can take that much abuse on a 3 day trip. Hates long lift lines.

Anyway, while I was at work today, a regular customer recommended Bretton Woods. Does anyone here ski there often?

Thanks for everything!

bdfreetuna

Bretton Woods is a good choice although not a whole lot to do around there besides look at Mt Washington.

I agree Sugarloaf. The mountain will intimidate you when you first see it from the road. It's a bit of a drive. But once you're there, the accommodations are excellent, there's dining and drink options, really good beginner areas and long cruising trails from the top of a pretty huge mountain. Incredible views.

Just go there, you won't soon forget it. I can't wait to get back, myself. Last time I skied Sugarloaf was also my first time, and I proposed to my now wife in a cool spot in Brackett Basin.

If you are skier #2 and go to Sugarloaf you will have plenty of terrain to test you and help advance you. The difference at Bretton woods would be you could probably ski the entire mountain, even the "double black" woods if you took your time. Sugarloaf on the other hand will test your bravery -- but the map is your friend!

VTKilarney

Sugarloaf is about two hours farther than Bretton Woods from that part of Connecticut.

If you can go mid-week, based on your location, I think that Loon is a good bet.

rocks860

Sugarloaf is about two hours farther than Bretton Woods from that part of Connecticut.

If you can go mid-week, based on your location, I think that Loon is a good bet.

Hell I think that part of Connecticut is 2 hours from my part of Connecticut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt1234

Well, I would push back on Sugarloaf a little - don't think you will fine the good food/fine dining apres scene the OP is looking for. Food at the base stuck me as mediocre at best.

Bullwinkles on the mountain is a very cool thing, but the places at the base....meh.

The skiing would be great for this group, but not sure about food scene.

Jully

Well, I would push back on Sugarloaf a little - don't think you will fine the good food/fine dining apres scene the OP is looking for. Food at the base stuck me as mediocre at best.

Bullwinkles on the mountain is a very cool thing, but the places at the base....meh.

The skiing would be great for this group, but not sure about food scene.

Where did you go at SL? The only place you'll get actual cocktails is at 45 North in the hotel, but I would consider their dining options at the base to be much better than mediocre, especially with the new restaurant, Hunker Down, at the base adding another good dinner option. Outside of Stowe, there isn't a lot of fine dining to be had at most ski resorts in New England.

Apres scene isn't the Pickle Barrel at Killington, but I'm not sure the OP is looking for that type of scene anyway haha. Between the Shipyard, Widowmaker, and Bag you have a few fun spots for drinks all right at the foot of the mountain.

ThinkSnow

Check out the Eagle Mountain House in Jackson, NH. Very reasonable rates, with in-house tavern and restaurant. Tons of other dining options available in Jackson/North Conway area, and your choice of skiing from Black Mountain, Cranmore, Attitash, and Wildcat or XC and snowshoeing as well. Definitely something for everyone, and far enough north to avoid the crowds of Kmart & Mt. Slow.

Smellytele

Check out the Eagle Mountain House in Jackson, NH. Very reasonable rates, with in-house tavern and restaurant. Tons of other dining options available in Jackson/North Conway area, and your choice of skiing from Black Mountain, Cranmore, Attitash, and Wildcat or XC and snowshoeing as well. Definitely something for everyone, and far enough north to avoid the crowds of Kmart & Mt. Slow.
I have stayed there before it is old, hallways are very creaky. The bar is cool, rooms are old but fine but the heat is hard to control. If I remember right there are steam radiators.

Dick Gazinya

I'd take them to mad river Glen. Sounds like they all need to work on their mogul skiing.

So Inclined

Anyway, while I was at work today, a regular customer recommended Bretton Woods. Does anyone here ski there often?

You'd feel right at home, with this site literally right across the street. I grew up in CT, thought I'd at least heard of every town and hamlet, but I've never heard of Fabyan :)

Bretton Woods is my favorite "it's day 4 of a MWV ski week, my legs are feeling ropey, let's have a nice day of cruising and slipping through easy glades," place, and the history buff in me loves to wander around/grab a cocktail in the Mount Washington Hotel, but on the whole it may be a little slow on and off the slopes for your group. Maybe stay closer to North Conway, where you can easily choose from Attitash, Wildcat, Bretton Woods, Cranmore, SR, Loon, Cannon - even cheapo Monday night skiing at Shawnee - depending on conditions, deals and your collective mood.

ThinkSnow

I have stayed there before it is old, hallways are very creaky. The bar is cool, rooms are old but fine but the heat is hard to control. If I remember right there are steam radiators.
Baseboard heat (forced hot water, not steam), and all rooms have individual thermostats-- I never had a problem with heat, and I've stayed there many times over the last 20+ years. Old & creaky yes, but that adds to the charm.

tnt1234

Where did you go at SL? The only place you'll get actual cocktails is at 45 North in the hotel, but I would consider their dining options at the base to be much better than mediocre, especially with the new restaurant, Hunker Down, at the base adding another good dinner option. Outside of Stowe, there isn't a lot of fine dining to be had at most ski resorts in New England.

Apres scene isn't the Pickle Barrel at Killington, but I'm not sure the OP is looking for that type of scene anyway haha. Between the Shipyard, Widowmaker, and Bag you have a few fun spots for drinks all right at the foot of the mountain.

Yeah, I forgot about 45 North.

I just found the food at the Shipyard, and Bag and Kettle and...hm....there was a pizza place there. Don't see it on the website now....to be pretty mediocre.