• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee, Okemo join epic pass

WJenness

My decision for next year just got harder...

Epic local is a serious contender for me now.

Link in Sig to options I've at least looked at.

-w

speden

Makes sense, the Epic pass was weak in the northeast compared to the Ikon pass, so this makes it more competitive.

xlr8r

Had to happen, no way the Mueller's would leave Crested Butte all alone in CO with every other major resort on Ikon or Epic. My decision just got harder too. Epic and Ikon are very comparable now eastern wise.

gmcunni

my plans just got simpler. with CB added i now have "cheap" option for family vacation next season.

cdskier

You're only getting 7 days at Okemo though with the Epic pass?

Jully

Heard rumors of this for awhile now. Nice that the offer is extended to the Epic Local pass and that here are no blackouts. Not sure if it changes my decision. Ikon has 20 days within (my) day trip range from Boston (3 hours) while Epic now has 14 + unlimited at Stowe. Will definitely think about it though.

WJenness

So in summary, Epic v. Ikon in New England:

Epic - $899
Unlimited Stowe (no blackouts)
7 days Okemo (no blackouts)
7 days Sunapee (no blackouts)

Epic Local - $669
Unlmited Stowe (11 blackout dates: 11/23-24, 12/26 - 12/31, 1/19, 2/16 - 2/17)

Ikon - $899
Unlimited Stratton (no blackouts)
7x Killington (no blackouts)
7x Sugarbush (no blackouts)
7x Combined Loon/Sunday River/Sugarloaf (no blackouts)

Ikon base - $599
5 days Stratton (10 blackout dates - 12/26 - 12/31 , 1/19 - 1/20, 2/16 - 2/17)
5 days Killington (Same blackouts)
5 days Sugarbush (Same blackouts)
5 days combined (Loon / Sunday River / Sugarloaf)

Leaning Epic Local...

-w

gmcunni

So in summary, Epic v. Ikon in New England:

Epic - $899
Unlimited Stowe (no blackouts)

Epic Local - $669
Unlmited Stowe (11 blackout dates: 11/23-24, 12/26 - 12/31, 1/19, 2/16 - 2/17)

Ikon - $899
Unlimited Stratton (no blackouts)
7x Killington (no blackouts)
7x Sugarbush (no blackouts)
7x Combined Loon/Sunday River/Sugarloaf (no blackouts)

Ikon base - $599
5 days Stratton (10 blackout dates - 12/26 - 12/31 , 1/19 - 1/20, 2/16 - 2/17)
5 days Killington (Same blackouts)
5 days Sugarbush (Same blackouts)
5 days combined (Loon / Sunday River / Sugarloaf)

Leaning Epic Local...

-w

i wonder how buddy passes and ski with a friend passes work on the New England resorts. i find it a nice perk to bring someone at a reduced rate.

abc

No change for me.

My closest “local” favorites, the Cats, are not on either.

My next closest are a split between Stratton and Okemo, with K going to Ikon.

The next group between Stowe and Sugarbush. Not enough to male a difference.

My main interest is out west, where the walk up rate is over $100. There, I like the line up of Ikon. End of thiught process

cdskier

7 @ okemo + 7 @ sunapee + full access to Stowe (i think full).

Yea.

WJenness posted a good summary. I was forgetting that on Ikon the SR/SL/Loon days were a combined total so in my mind was originally thinking Ikon gave you more eastern days/choices.

Ultimately Ikon and Epic seem relatively comparable and choice would depend mostly on which resorts you prefer to ski at. I like Epic's unlimited eastern resort better than Ikon's, but I like Ikon's partner resorts in the east better than Epic's.

WJenness

wonder how much the buddy passes would be at Stowe if they can be used there?

i wonder how buddy passes and ski with a friend passes work on the New England resorts. i find it a nice perk to bring someone at a reduced rate.

I would expect they would be available to use at Stowe next year, but not Okemo / Sunapee... Looking at this year's stuff on the epic site, it looks like only Vail owned resorts that you can use them.

mbedle

Given what they are offering at other resorts and compared to the discounts from window - online - buddy, I would guess that the buddy tickets will be around mid 90's. I did the math at 4 of their resorts and the percent reductions are not an equal percent across any of the resorts.

WJenness

Yea.

WJenness posted a good summary. I was forgetting that on Ikon the SR/SL/Loon days were a combined total so in my mind was originally thinking Ikon gave you more eastern days/choices.

Ultimately Ikon and Epic seem relatively comparable and choice would depend mostly on which resorts you prefer to ski at. I like Epic's unlimited eastern resort better than Ikon's, but I like Ikon's partner resorts in the east better than Epic's.

One other thing to note:

You don't have to make the jump to the full pass to get an unlimited option in the east on the epic. Epic Local covers unlimited Stowe next year, whereas the Ikon base only gives you 5 days at Stratton.

-w

Jully

This. Like abc, I prefer Ikon's western offerings to Epic's. I also prefer Ikon's NE offerings. Epic has closer resorts to Boston since I will use a maximum of 2 days at Loon, but I'd rather drive 3 hours to ski SR, SB, and K than Sunapee. Likely getting a Peaks pass for quick hitters to Crotched too.

Smellytele

This. Like abc, I prefer Ikon's western offerings to Epic's. I also prefer Ikon's NE offerings. Epic has closer resorts to Boston since I will use a maximum of 2 days at Loon, but I'd rather drive 3 hours to ski SR, SB, and K than Sunapee. Likely getting a Peaks pass for quick hitters to Crotched too.

Rather drive 2 hours to Stowe for unlimited then 1 1/2 to Loon 5 times or 2:45 to SR or 4:30 to SL. Then 7 times to Sunapee (25 mins) for day time quick hits and blackouts.