• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I suspect the reason that West Glade has remained Black Diamond is because they don't make snow on it and they don't groom it. It's usually a nice mogul field with a constant challenge to avoid the bare spots in the troughs. As such, I think it deserves its rating.

NYDB

They actually had mouse trap gated- experts only with the guns going this wed and opened it with no grooming. It was probably the best trail they had open.

also, does anyone know- what’s with the big Asian contingent? Is it a holiday in another country? Are they here for the race?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
also, does anyone know- what’s with the big Asian contingent? Is it a holiday in another country? Are they here for the race?

Skiing is a HUGE status symbol in Asia, moreso than here. Also, of course, skiing symbolizes being well-off here in the USA too. Hence, when your culture is based around "success", you have upper-class Chinese coming to ski in massive numbers. They don't seem to care about the time of season.

My first lesson of the year was a Chinese teen and his mom. Mom is a lawyer, Dad is a businessman, son wants to be a CEO. They're coming back this weekend as they're local.

I would say roughly 20-30% of clients in lower level group lessons here are Asian. I'd say it's more back East.

This is all in the last 5 years, too

This

1dog

They actually had mouse trap gated- experts only with the guns going this wed and opened it with no grooming. It was probably the best trail they had open.

We had it pegged at 2-1 Asians. . . . very nice apologies when some of them who couldn't really ski or board fell in front ( or worse, slid into you while you're standing there).

Asked one couple in the Gondi, nope, they were from Jersey. . . . last two years exact same thing on T Day weekend. Main problem then was all of them learning to board ( or ski I guess) would sit just above 6 pack entrance, or on mid-slope halfway below MouseTrap?

Observations from having interactions with them in my neighborhood, as a customer, and in general:

Very few overweight/ diligent workers/ love the outdoors/drive nice cars/very polite/keep to themselves when not engaged/love and appreciate the freedom and liberty this country affords/ expected by their families to take full advantage of every opportunity afforded by the free market.

Very family-oriented. In other words, model US citizens.

We can use more immigrants( of any race or region) who have some of those traits . . . .

Great Bear

By all accounts, and from everything that I could see it was another successful World Cup weekend. Soft opening of the new base lodge - they still have a ton of work to do on it. Looks like they went expensive on the food options from what I can see and heard - I didn't try anything.

KustyTheKlown

also noticed a ton of asian folks at stratton on saturday

and when i went to that indoor nj bullshit on a friday early evening in October, it was also largely asian beginner snowboarders, many with turtle pillows on their butts.

thetrailboss

Staff member

oldfartrider

I also saw quite a few people with turtles strapped to their butt at Sugarbush over the weekend. Everyone of them I talked to on the lift were from NJ

Last edited:

djd66

What is it with people calling out that they saw Asians on the ski slopes? Why do people care? What is the point of call this out? Do you point and stare when you see a black person on the slopes? I am definitely not into that woke BS, but this smells like racism.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I was at Killington today (11/28/22). No lines. Pretty sketchy conditions, but great fun anyhow. The locals suggested the Saturday crowd at about 21,000 - but the Sunday crowd only about 11,000.

NYDB

What is it with people calling out that they saw Asians on the ski slopes? Why do people care? What is the point of call this out? Do you point and stare when you see a black person on the slopes? I am definitely not into that woke BS, but this smells like racism

i was more interested because I thought they were there for the World Cup, but interested to learn that they are a big up and coming demographic for winter sports. Cool. showing out in big numbers for wrod.

and yeah, sorry but if I show up to K and 50% of the patrons are black and wearing turtles on their butts I’d ask the same question. it’s just out of the ordinary. I Don’t think that racism. Unless you think by saying Asian or Black has some sort of negative connotation. Which I don’t and wouldn’t expect others too.

lets not derail the thread.

djd66

I'm not trying to derail the thread, calling out Asians is what the thread became. Substitute Asian with Blacks, Jews, Muslims - its racist. If I were Asian and I were reading this thread, i would be offended. If you can't see that, sorry. Maybe try and put yourself in that position and see how you would feel.

SteezyRob

I'm not trying to derail the thread, calling out Asians is what the thread became. Substitute Asian with Blacks, Jews, Muslims - its racist. If I were Asian and I were reading this thread, i would be offended. If you can't see that, sorry. Maybe try and put yourself in that position and see how you would feel.
sorry to hear that you're a 🐱

cdskier

I also saw quite a few people with turtles strapped to their butt at Sugarbush over the weekend. Everyone of them I talked to on the lift were from NJ

This is an odd fad. What's the point of the turtles on your ass? Also odd that they're all from NJ. I don't know anyone in NJ that skis with any sort of animal strapped to their ass.

Eh? I just re-read the last bunch of posts to see if I missed something. Sorry, people were just asking fact-based questions and making fact-based observations. There was nothing remotely racist about the questions/comments. Pointing out the race of someone is not in and of itself racist.